Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
never gonna happen, medicaid always avaiblable to people without income.
It's already like that in 19 or so states. If you have no dependents- you are not eligible for medicaid, no matter how little your income is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalMusic4 View Post
Thanks for your responses. I will look into medicaid, but I own a house, it has been paid off. Will that affect my eligibility for medicaid? Also does medicaid have to be paid back at some point?
No it won't, the new rules go by MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) without an asset test. Some states do require you to sign paperwork that they can go after your estate to recover medicaid money's spent on your behalf but I have no idea if that applies in New York.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No it won't, the new rules go by MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) without an asset test. Some states do require you to sign paperwork that they can go after your estate to recover medicaid money's spent on your behalf but I have no idea if that applies in New York.
Does not apply in NY.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:20 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's already like that in 19 or so states. If you have no dependents- you are not eligible for medicaid, no matter how little your income is.
In NYC one can get Medicaid health insurance even if one has no dependents if one's income is low enough.

Another option is go to an urgent care clinic when necessary.

https://www.urgentcarelocations.com/...rk-urgent-care

Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In NYC one can get Medicaid health insurance even if one has no dependents if one's income is low enough.

Another option is go to an urgent care clinic when necessary.

https://www.urgentcarelocations.com/...rk-urgent-care
I'm aware.
I was responding the poster who said that things like such would never happen. They routinely do.
The expectation on government caretaking here is an anomaly to most of the United States.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I know, it was like that in NJ until recently.

So crazy. If you have children and are low-income you somehow "deserve" health insurance.
But if you're a childless low income adult, you are out of luck. How obnoxious is that?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I know, it was like that in NJ until recently.

So crazy. If you have children and are low-income you somehow "deserve" health insurance.
But if you're a childless low income adult, you are out of luck. How obnoxious is that?
Whole thing is insane. I have a friend with this dilemma right now. Its really disturbing how sick or injured people dont get help due to this. It sucks and none if it is good or right. I know it will never change but its sad how we are ruled by green pieces of paper.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
The key to whether owning your house will affect your Medicaid or SSI eligibility is whether you live in the house. Both Medicaid medical coverage and Supplemental Security Insurance -- SSI eligibility depend on having very low income and assets. But if you live in a house you own, the house will NOT count as an asset when Medicaid and SSI decide on your eligibility. So, owning the house will not affect either your eligibility for Medicaid or SSI, or the amount of your benefits, as long as you live in it.

So, OP, enjoy owning the house.

Quote:
Good. New Yorkers have such a nasty opinion on places like Alabama, Florida, Texas, Utah, The Carolinas- yet have no problem taking their federal tax dollars to support the Medicaid Expansion that those states don't receive.

CorrectionL: that those deplorable states have TURNED DOWN.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Whole thing is insane. I have a friend with this dilemma right now. Its really disturbing how sick or injured people dont get help due to this. It sucks and none if it is good or right. I know it will never change but its sad how we are ruled by green pieces of paper.
Medical services cost money, Doctors require a lot of training and decent incomes to have them choose this career. Pharmaceutical developers, the same.

The amount of medical providers we have is a fixed amount. It's sad to think that healthcare isn't available to everyone, but a system that offered such would be quite costly, or require a reduction in salary (and interest in the field) to medical professionals.

I'm sure we could adapt a better system than exists now- but medical care costs money.

The expectation in the US is that you work from (at least) 26 to 65.
I had to pay my own COBRA when I was 21+ because you weren't eligible back then to keep family insurance.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Medicaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: