Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:21 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Pierrepont doesn't think Bushwick is gentrified so I take his opinion with a grain of salt.
You don't even live in NYC. You live out on Long Island. I grew up in NYC, and I certainly don't need your stamp of approval. Bushwick is far from fully gentrified, and I can say that rather comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
So then call Bay Ridge a MIDDLE-CLASS family neighborhood, rather than a "family-oriented" neighborhood.

Sunset Park has some middle-class families as well, but it is mostly working-class families.

And I hate how you say "established" middle class families.
Established in what?

The families in Sunset Park are established too.

What you are really trying to say is "white families", so why don't you just say it?

I'm not dense, I'm just not racist. So I'm not picking up on all of your "codewords"
So let's see. Last I checked there is a difference between working class families and people who are working white collar jobs, hence one is established as in is truly middle class and not living paycheck to paycheck. You have a lot of nerve calling me racist after your little racist tirade about Woodlawn and how there's a bar on every corner, as if all Irish people are drunks. In other words you think being Jewish allows you to **** on other ethnic white groups and thus you get a pass from being racist. Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You don't even live in NYC. You live out on Long Island. I grew up in NYC, and I certainly don't need your stamp of approval. Bushwick is far from fully gentrified, and I can say that rather comfortably.

So let's see. Last I checked there is a difference between working class families and people who are working white collar jobs, hence one is established as in is truly middle class and not living paycheck to paycheck. You have a lot of nerve calling me racist after your little racist tirade about Woodlawn and how there's a bar on every corner, as if all Irish people are drunks. In other words you think being Jewish allows you to **** on other ethnic white groups and thus you get a pass from being racist. Nice try.
Okay, so now it's really coming out. You have a problem with me because I'm Jewish. Just say it.

How was it racist for me to point out that there's a bar on every corner in Woodlawn? There IS a bar on every corner (or more than one). I was just pointing out the facts. And no, personally, that's not my style. But if someone wants to live in a neighborhood like that, go for it.

One can be an "established" working class family too. You just like the word "established", because you mean "white" but you don't want to say it.

And by the way: plenty of working class people are salaried. My husband has a working class/blue collar job and he is on salary.

And plenty of middle class people live paycheck to paycheck, just as many working class people do.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, so now it's really coming out. You have a problem with me because I'm Jewish. Just say it.

How was it racist for me to point out that there's a bar on every corner in Woodlawn? There IS a bar on every corner (or more than one). I was just pointing out the facts. And no, personally, that's not my style. But if someone wants to live in a neighborhood like that, go for it.

One can be an "established" working class family too. You just like the word "established", because you mean "white" but you don't want to say it.

And by the way: plenty of working class people are salaried. My husband has a working class/blue collar job and he is on salary.

And plenty of middle class people live paycheck to paycheck, just as many working class people do.
No, if I really had a problem with Jews, I wouldn't live in a neighborhood with a sizable Jewish population, so yet again you are wrong, and there are no bars on every corner in Woodlawn, only in your distorted mind. There are also different segments of middle class, and overall Sunset Park is mainly working class, and Bay Ridge, especially west of Third Avenue, is upper middle to upper class, and mainly white collar individuals.

I don't know why you're trying to make Sunset Park out to be more than what it is. Historically it was an industrial dump, and most of the people living in the residential part lived there because it was cheap. Sure it has gentrified to some degree, but overall it's still ugly and cannot compare to Bay Ridge, which has always been established. It doesn't need to be gentrified. It's like comparing Coney Island to Manhattan Beach... Coney Island is seeing improvements but it is still relatively run down and poor. Manhattan Beach on the other hand is mainly upper middle to upper class.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:

Of course Bushwick as a whole is far from fully gentrified, but the parts along the L train, especially the first few stops going East, are pretty gentrified.

I don't actually live in NYC, that's correct. But I spend a lot of time in various NYC neighborhoods and I'll only give my opinion on places I'm familiar with. I don"t care about your stamp of approval either.

I've spent enough time in Bushwick to know that it's rapidly gentrifying and is already pretty gentrified in some areas. I wouldn't pretend to know a lot about places I don't go to like Staten Island or Riverdale.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
No, if I really had a problem with Jews, I wouldn't live in a neighborhood with a sizable Jewish population, so yet again you are wrong, and there are no bars on every corner in Woodlawn, only in your distorted mind. There are also different segments of middle class, and overall Sunset Park is mainly working class, and Bay Ridge, especially west of Third Avenue, is upper middle to upper class, and mainly white collar individuals.

I don't know why you're trying to make Sunset Park out to be more than what it is. Historically it was an industrial dump, and most of the people living in the residential part lived there because it was cheap. Sure it has gentrified to some degree, but overall it's still ugly and cannot compare to Bay Ridge, which has always been established. It doesn't need to be gentrified. It's like comparing Coney Island to Manhattan Beach... Coney Island is seeing improvements but it is still relatively run down and poor. Manhattan Beach on the other hand is mainly upper middle to upper class.
Well Sunset Park is closer to Manhattan, is somewhat cheaper, and some people would prefer the demographics there. So just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's objectively inferior.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Doesn't Sunset Park have a decently sized park named Sunset Park?
Sunset Park doesn't have close to the amount of parkland as Bay Ridge. There are also businesses catering to kids, such as dance academies or little league.

BTW...there are many non-white family neighborhoods in NYC. It is racist of you to believe otherwise.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I am a white Greek middle age man, I work in Sunset Park for decades.
yes, you don't want to live near the Gowanus, it isn't pretty, its safe, but not pretty, and it is noisy.

But, there are many many nice blocks in Sunset for sure. 3rd ave and 4th ave aren't so great in the sense they are noisy with traffic and not pretty, meaning green space, however it is safe.

The side streets between 4th and 5th are fine, regular row house and safe.......There is a new park near the water at 43rd street and 1st ave, soccer fields benches, a mountian and trails that surround it.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well Sunset Park is closer to Manhattan, is somewhat cheaper, and some people would prefer the demographics there. So just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's objectively inferior.
Yes for sure, I think many nowadays would prefer to live in Sunset Park rather than Bay Ridge and I daresay it's not that much cheaper than Bay Ridge anymore (if it all?) as a result.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I agree that Sunset Park is mainly working class and that Bay Ridge is mainly middle class.
Not sure if I would say that Bay Ridge is upper class though; in fact, it does have a blue collar feel in parts for sure.

I don't want to make Sunset Park out to be "more than what it is". Honestly, I have spent little time there. I don't live in either neighborhood, and neither would really be my choice (although there are worse places to live than either for sure).

I just take issue with your repeatedly using the word "established" to describe Bay Ridge. I do think you are using it as code for "white", and it's rude.

Why keep using the word "established", after it has been noted that you really mean to say white, or middle class, or something else?

Old 12-16-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Of course Bushwick as a whole is far from fully gentrified, but the parts along the L train, especially the first few stops going East, are pretty gentrified.

I don't actually live in NYC, that's correct. But I spend a lot of time in various NYC neighborhoods and I'll only give my opinion on places I'm familiar with. I don"t care about your stamp of approval either.

I've spent enough time in Bushwick to know that it's rapidly gentrifying and is already pretty gentrified in some areas. I wouldn't pretend to know a lot about places I don't go to like Staten Island or Riverdale.
You can spend time there but I considered living in Bushwick so I did my research to know what I'm talking about and still have friends there and frequent the area. It still has a ways to go. I'm not sure what you consider "pretty gentrified" anyway.

Quote:
Of course it is cheaper. It's been an industrial dump for years. Given how expensive most of Brooklyn is these days, it was bound to become more expensive, so that isn't saying much. Bay Ridge starts in the 60s, so if you get off at the 68th street station, you're in Bay Ridge, one subway stop from Sunset Park. Not exactly a huge difference in terms of being that much close to Manhattan. Technically deep into Bay Ridge is Fort Hamilton, but that whole area (from the 60s down) is generally considered Bay Ridge in simple terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City