Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM

174 posts, read 187,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right... Saying that people should own and have something they can build a nest egg off of makes me racist. I don't know what hole you crawled from but you'd be better off staying there. Tell that to all of the blacks that own in Harlem in elsewhere in this city.
What makes you a racist/classist/whatever else that's ****ty, is your stark refusal to acknowledge and accept an indisputable reality into your world view, in favor of keeping whatever nonsense going on in your head that causes you to look down on a people. I mean.... that's basically the dictionary definition of a prejudiced person.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue to repeat myself. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Blacks folks shouldn’t be compared to Jews because black folks lived in inner city ghettos during the time. Blacks did want to own but the issue is they decided to own outside of their community.

My mom was takin care of a lady in Harlem around 148th St by the 3 train and the lady she cared for would have her sleep over because the area was so dangerous at the time!

So just like everyone else in the city they wanted out. The ones who could afford to move did move and then you have all the racial real estate practices that were in place as well!

Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Blacks folks shouldn’t be compared to Jews because black folks lived in inner city ghettos during the time. Blacks did want to own but the issue is they decided to own outside of their community.

My mom was takin care of a lady in Harlem around 148th St by the 3 train and the lady she cared for would have her sleep over because the area was so dangerous at the time!

So just like everyone else in the city they wanted out. The ones who could afford to move did move and then you have all the racial real estate practices that were in place as well!
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. While there has been discrimination in the past that has perpetuated some of the issues, the lack of accountability and organization within the community continues be an issue that get overlooked within the community. Chinatown is one example of how a minority group dealing with discrimination can organize and overcome the adversity as a group.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. While there has been discrimination in the past that has perpetuated some of the issues, the lack of accountability and organization within the community continues be an issue that get overlooked within the community.
I don't think that goes overlooked at all. Within the Black community there are ALL SORTS of people that preach personal accountability, and try to mobilize from within. There are all sorts of people that try to hold Black people accountable for their behaviors, which can be self destructive.

Of course.... it's hard to divorce the ****ty state of a community, and the habits therein, from the circumstances that led to it being that way. It's disingenuous to believe that communities that have been poorly educated throughout history are somehow supposed to have the wherewithal needed to escape that position that that historical disadvantage has placed them in. Just like it's ridiculous to expect a community that has been kept from building wealth in the most basic of ways (homeownership) from being able to stand against gentrification now.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:12 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
I don't think that goes overlooked at all. Within the Black community there are ALL SORTS of people that preach personal accountability, and try to mobilize from within. There are all sorts of people that try to hold Black people accountable for their behaviors, which can be self destructive.

Of course.... it's hard to divorce the ****ty state of a community, and the habits therein, from the circumstances that led to it being that way. It's disingenuous to believe that communities that have been poorly educated throughout history are somehow supposed to have the wherewithal needed to escape that position that that historical disadvantage has placed them in. Just like it's ridiculous to expect a community that has been kept from building wealth in the most basic of ways (homeownership) from being able to stand against gentrification now.
I get that, but it is 2018. Something seems wrong when you have Eva moskowitz with her charter schools saying she can educate black kids and led them to salvation. It just seems like anyone who can get out from the community just leaves while the remaining are left to predatory practices.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

Black people bought property at the time all over Central/Eastern Brooklyn, Southeast Queens, and the North Bronx, but at the time I guess not that many people had the foresight to buy property in Harlem.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:15 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
What makes you a racist/classist/whatever else that's ****ty, is your stark refusal to acknowledge and accept an indisputable reality into your world view, in favor of keeping whatever nonsense going on in your head that causes you to look down on a people. I mean.... that's basically the dictionary definition of a prejudiced person.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue to repeat myself. Have a great day.
Listen, nobody said life was fair. Just about every ethnic group has faced some sort of challenge. That's life. The Jews, the blacks, the Italians, the Irish, and on and on. They all faced discrimination. Cry me a river. Look at how many West Indian blacks own and they sure as hell have faced discrimination. They work twice as hard to own, just as some blacks have in Harlem. You either keep making excuses or you find a way. Never mind any of that though.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Not redlining can lead to financial crisis.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
You can spend time there but I considered living in Bushwick so I did my research to know what I'm talking about and still have friends there and frequent the area. It still has a ways to go. I'm not sure what you consider "pretty gentrified" anyway.

Of course it is cheaper. It's been an industrial dump for years. Given how expensive most of Brooklyn is these days, it was bound to become more expensive, so that isn't saying much. Bay Ridge starts in the 60s, so if you get off at the 68th street station, you're in Bay Ridge, one subway stop from Sunset Park. Not exactly a huge difference in terms of being that much close to Manhattan. Technically deep into Bay Ridge is Fort Hamilton, but that whole area (from the 60s down) is generally considered Bay Ridge in simple terms.
Except that's the key: You're dependent on the R train. In Sunset Park, you have the option of at least the N, if not the N & D, which are more reliable and also run express directly to Midtown.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Listen, nobody said life was fair. Just about every ethnic group has faced some sort of challenge. That's life. The Jews, the blacks, the Italians, the Irish, and on and on. They all faced discrimination. Cry me a river. Look at how many West Indian blacks own and they sure as hell have faced discrimination. They work twice as hard to own, just as some blacks have in Harlem. You either keep making excuses or you find a way. Never mind any of that though.
Like I said.. I'm not going to waste more of my time on you. Believe whatever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City