Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That is a legit name though, right? As opposed to Ditmas Park

Similarly, I predict people will start using "Mott Haven" more when it gentrified, even though that name is completely valid and has been around for a long time. I know a girl who lived in Mott Haven her entire life and she didn't even seem to know what Mott Haven is! I wonder why The Bronx lacks the neighborhood pride that Brooklyn has.
Yea PLG is legit. Newcomers tend to use the correct name of all neighborhoods!

Newcomers will sometimes even pronounce streets the way they were originally pronounced smh lol.

I remember one time the hipsters I worked with at the DOT literally google searched endlessly to understand how the Macombs bridge is pronounced lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea PLG is legit. Newcomers tend to use the correct name of all neighborhoods!

Newcomers will sometimes even pronounce streets the way they were originally pronounced smh lol.

I remember one time the hipsters I worked with at the DOT literally google searched endlessly to understand how the Macombs bridge is pronounced lol
Which streets do natives often pronounce incorrectly? I actually noticed that more people are pronouncing Koscizusco street correctly these days, probably due to the automated subway cars. I refuse to say "koss-kee-uss-co", I don't care how "old school NY" it is lol.

There are so many streets in NYC that it's impossible to know how all of them are pronounced, though.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Which streets do natives often pronounce incorrectly? I actually noticed that more people are pronouncing Koscizusco street correctly these days, probably due to the automated subway cars. I refuse to say "koss-kee-uss-co", I don't care how "old school NY" it is lol.

There are so many streets in NYC that it's impossible to know how all of them are pronounced, though.
This one hipster came up to me and told me Classon Ave is pronounced “Clasone” Ave.

I told her to GTFOH!

Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
This one hipster came up to me and told me Classon Ave is pronounced “Clasone” Ave.

I told her to GTFOH!
haha, I wonder why she would even think to pronounce it like that.

What I bet people f up 100% of the time though, is Houston Street.

Also, the aforementioned chick from Mott Haven, "corrected" me when I pronounced Betances the way it's pronounced in Spanish, and said it's "Beh-tan-sis". And she's Hispanic herself lol.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Even Crown Heights?

Haha, no, Crown Heights is still Crown Heights.

Basically, the Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn are "Flatbush", Crown Heights, Borough Park, and Williamsburg.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
haha, I wonder why she would even think to pronounce it like that.

What I bet people f up 100% of the time though, is Houston Street.

Also, the aforementioned chick from Mott Haven, "corrected" me when I pronounced Betances the way it's pronounced in Spanish, and said it's "Beh-tan-sis". And she's Hispanic herself lol.
That’s good to know cause the only part of the Bronx I know is Gun Hill lol

Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 PM

There is also a Syrian Jewish community that goes as far down as Avenue U (although it's center is on Kings Highway) if not lower than Avenue U, and I bet some of them say they live in "Flatbush" as well! It's really something...

Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That’s good to know cause the only part of the Bronx I know is Gun Hill lol
Haha maybe it's a West Indian thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There is also a Syrian Jewish community that goes as far down as Avenue U (although it's center is on Kings Highway) if not lower than Avenue U, and I bet some of them say they live in "Flatbush" as well! It's really something...
Are those the really well dressed Jews I see at the bottom part of Ocean Parkway?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Haha maybe it's a West Indian thing.

Are those the really well dressed Jews I see at the bottom part of Ocean Parkway?
Yea I would say the nice well dressed and pretty Jews who live in Homecrest! Ave R area!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yea I would say the nice well dressed and pretty Jews who live in Homecrest! Ave R area!
Yes, so those well-dressed Jews who live in Homecrest/Sheepshead Bay/Gravesend (who may also say that they live in "Flatbush", by the way - yes really!) are the Sephardic community - most of them are originally from Syria or Egypt (with a smattering from other Middle Eastern locales). The Sephardic Community Center (a Y of sorts) is on Ocean Parkway and Avenue S I believe.

Many people refer to the community as simply "Syrian Jews" since the majority are of Syrian origin.
You may find that they dress nicely, because although they are all nominally Orthodox (all of the Sephardic synagogues in the area are Orthodox), they tend to be more modern than the Ashkenazi/European Jews in the rest of Midwood, or in Borough Park, etc.
Therefore, they do dress more modern, many of the women don't cover their hair, etc.
True, many of them are stylish because it's a relatively wealthy community on average, and also, they have a pretty big presence in the fashion industry as a matter of fact (some Syrian Jews, i.e., Isaac Mizrahi is from the Brooklyn Syrian Jewish community, went into fashion as a career.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City