Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times

Advertisements

Sunset Park is too deep in it's Latino community to ever put up with gentrification. Good thing most of the buildings are attached, and of 3-4 floors already,so no mc mansions or multi apartment structures.

Family owns a few of these limestone? Buildings, and keep things all in the family (rent wise). They bought in the early 80s between 4 the and 5 the Ave. They and their grandkids aren't going anywhere soon. This is common is SP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Sunset Park is too deep in it's Latino community to ever put up with gentrification. Good thing most of the buildings are attached, and of 3-4 floors already,so no mc mansions or multi apartment structures.

Family owns a few of these limestone? Buildings, and keep things all in the family (rent wise). They bought in the early 80s between 4 the and 5 the Ave. They and their grandkids aren't going anywhere soon. This is common is SP.
Yeah right. A developer with deep pockets can come in and buy up properties just as they have elsewhere in the city.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:

Bushwick is just as Latino as Sunset Park and it's rapidly gentrifying. And the Mexican community in Sunset Park is mostly renters, so they could potentially be priced out.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I just want to clarify Sephardic means Spanish Jew, and you have Sephardic communities in Western Europe, the Balkans, and of course in the Americans. When Spain and Portugal expelled Jews they settled in many different places.
Yes, you are correct.

Sephardic technically means "Spanish". Some Spanish Jews settled in Syria and Egypt,as well as all over the Ottoman Empire.

But the more correct term for Jews from the Middle East (including Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, ec.) is "Mizrahi Jews" which means "Eastern" in Hebrew.

However, the Syrian Jewish community tends to refer to itself as Sephardic, for whatever reason.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Middle class Black people did buy co-ops and other property in Harlem back in the day, and those Blacks have benefitted tremendously from gentrification. But the same is true for all the other neighborhoods you mentioned.
Harlem also has a way smaller percentage of SFHs than the other areas I mentioned

Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, you are correct.

Sephardic technically means "Spanish". Some Spanish Jews settled in Syria and Egypt,as well as all over the Ottoman Empire.

But the more correct term for Jews from the Middle East (including Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, ec.) is "Mizrahi Jews" which means "Eastern" in Hebrew.

However, the Syrian Jewish community tends to refer to itself as Sephardic, for whatever reason.
There was definitely intermarriage between Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, you are correct.

I was going to bring this up, I was under the impression that the Middle Eastern Jews were Mizrahim but I wasn't sure

Old 04-03-2018, 10:51 PM

In case you're reading this Brooklynjo, since we were talking about ethnicity and neighborhood names; it seems like a lot of Puerto Ricans don't recognize East Williamsburg as a place but consider it to be Bushwick. Similarly, Puerto Ricans seem to consider Alphabet City to be the LES rather than the East Village. With the latter, the entire East Village/Alphabet City used to be considered the LES, however over the last few decades they developed separate identities. I personally think of Alphabet City and the LES as different things since they look different to me, with the LES looking even older.

I have noticed that a lot of people regardless of ethnicity will refer to anything vaguely in the Lower East Side of Manhattan as the "LES". My friend on fb tagged a picture of Stuytown as the "LES", for instance.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:

You don't see all those hideous condos going up in Sunset? I do.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You don't see all those hideous condos going up in Sunset? I do.
Gentrifiers will move into any type of building anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City