Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I'm a booster for WH, but I would NEVER say that WH is better than Brooklyn Heights. Really? Multi-million dollar brownstones with views of Manhattan versus lovely art deco apartment buildings with views of New Jersey? No contest. Brooklyn Heights wins in my opinion. It's where I dream of moving to in my "If I Won the Lottery" fantasy.

But Astoria over WH? It depends on what you want. I like the architectural detail of WH vs what Astoria has to offer. But others might prefer the cultural diversity of Astoria. It isn't a borough throwdown.

I am 100% sure Holden's comments were sarcastic, meant to poke fun at the
"Manhattan at all costs" or "Brooklyn at all costs" supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I am 100% sure Holden's comments were sarcastic, meant to poke fun at the "Manhattan at all costs" or "Brooklyn at all costs" supporters.
Absolutely. Architecturally I prefer Washington Heights to Astoria myself. I was just saying that people get into the mindset that they want the "Manhattan lifestyle" or don't want to go "far" so they have to live in Manhattan. But if you work at 59th and Lex and your choice is 4 stops on the N/W from Astoria or taking the A from 190th and Ft. Wash to 42 St, walking through the long tunnel, and taking the N back to 59th and Lex, which is the better call? I know someone who's been doing the second for 2 years but won't move to Astoria because "Queens is too far." For God's sake, stop thinking in terms of boroughs and look at a map. I've invited this person to come with me to Astoria on a Friday night after work for a tour of the place and to show how easy it is, and she can't be bothered.

There are even some people who'd take WH over Brooklyn Heights because it's in Manhattan. The same person is one of them. It's a straight ride on the 4 train to her work, but she wouldn't even consider it because some person back in Indiana said that, when they spent 5 months in New York in 1980, Manhattan was the only place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City