Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,052,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Instead of focusing on what students to bus or not bus around, focus on getting better teachers and holding the students to higher standards instead, regardless of which school they're in. Increase math and science focus relative to other subjects.
You can't with the unions, no bad teacher can be fired. And holding bad students to higher standards just means that more will fail and drop out. What might work is treating all the students in bad schools like they're in special ed. I remember from elementary school in NYC the special ed kids had only like 8-10 kids per class. I went to elementary school in an area where it was 95%+ Hispanic and they put almost every single black student into the special ed classes to give them more attention. I'm sure the unions would approve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 AM

19,081 posts, read 14,035,845 times
My kids' school is so far from the ghetto that only a natural disaster could have a chance of changing it's dynamics.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My kids' school is so far from the ghetto that only a natural disaster could have a chance of changing it's dynamics.
Unless they introduce school bus service. Other than that if you live in a transit desert with good schools you're safe. And if the parents are willing to spend an hour every morning driving their kids to good neighborhoods then most likely they are good parents with decent kids. It's always the me me me people who want something for nothing causing problems.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:33 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,066,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Why do politicians think that all white and Asian kids are smart? Good middle schools with subway access to nearby areas with bad students will get decimated (Forest Hills courtesy of Jamaica/Corona/Jackson Heights, Bensonhurst area via Coney Island) unless they have a policy in place to not overcrowd schools. When Bloomberg did this the top zoned high schools in NYC became bad schools within 10 years. However with middle schools the impact may not be as extreme because not every parent wants their 11-13 year old traveling far away for school. Congrats to all the dad's in good neighborhoods becoming baby daddys without even having to smash anyone. Hopefully your kids won't bring too much ghetto behavior home.
It's not only the politicians who think this. Keep in mind that when white and asians graduate, they tend to get paid more as well.

I know of an Asian girl here on an H1B visa who can't even spell correctly - her grammar is very poor. But she's here in New York making 75K a year as an actuary, which is not that bad, only she's 27 years old. How many Black and Hispanic kids - American born of that age, make that much money?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ace-in-america

Old 06-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
It's not only the politicians who think this. Keep in mind that when white and asians graduate, they tend to get paid more as well.

I know of an Asian girl here on an H1B visa who can't even spell correctly - her grammar is very poor. But she's here in New York making 75K a year as an actuary, which is not that bad, only she's 27 years old. How many Black and Hispanic kids - American born of that age, make that much money?
That's definitely not a lot of money for a 27 year old actuary. Tell her to find another job. Her salary is probably depressed because the employer is taking advantage of her h1b status. The question you should be asking is how many highly educated Americans with STEM drgrees that are willing to work hard don't make that kind of money. Fyi starting pay packages at top tech firms are now 6 figures for 22 year olds. But don't think you can just walk in and get a job. Unless you are genuinely interested in algorithms, you better prep hard. Anyone can do a simple search and find out. I've been coding for years and would probably need to prep for a few months if I had to go through their standard interview process.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 06-08-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 AM

245 posts, read 198,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Instead of focusing on what students to bus or not bus around, focus on getting better teachers and holding the students to higher standards instead, regardless of which school they're in. Increase math and science focus relative to other subjects.
I have a lot of teacher friends and the better teachers leave for better schools. When the idea of saving the world runs out and the realize they can do less work in a school with privileged students why would they stay in a low performing school.

My mom taught in harlem for 10 years and left to teach in a GNT program after. Most of her incoming first graders already knew the basic curriculum and their parents showered her in gifts to make sure their snowflake got extra attention. When she taught in harlem she had overly aggressive parents argue with her about everything. More than half of her class didn't even know their entire alphabet when they started.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 AM

245 posts, read 198,108 times
I don't believe its a race thing though. I have friends who teach in other parts of the country and they have the same problem in low income areas.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,066,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I don't believe its a race thing though. I have friends who teach in other parts of the country and they have the same problem in low income areas.
Those other countries, because they're composed of racially homogenous people cannot really discriminate by race, so they do so by class.

This country is very driven by race. People judge you based on what your ethnicity is.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Those other countries, because they're composed of racially homogenous people cannot really discriminate by race, so they do so by class.

This country is very driven by race. People judge you based on what your ethnicity is.
Absolutely people judge you, that's why everything should be raceless merit based. And not oh this person is this race let's give him extra brownie points.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,376,743 times
Quote:

Poster was addressing other parts of the country not other countries. And the point was economically disadvantaged is economically disadvantaged no matter where and what race you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City