Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Unless they introduce school bus service. Other than that if you live in a transit desert with good schools you're safe. And if the parents are willing to spend an hour every morning driving their kids to good neighborhoods then most likely they are good parents with decent kids. It's always the me me me people who want something for nothing causing problems.
I don't think they will bus that far, too much on young kids. And I agree that any parent willing to drive their own kid to our school is probably running a solid household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don't think they will bus that far, too much on young kids. And I agree that any parent willing to drive their own kid to our school is probably running a solid household.
The main focus seems to be on manhattan where you have higher concentration of wealthy/educated white families in a few public schools. Part of what driving this is the jealous aspect of human nature. This advocacy group don't really cares about white working class neighborhoods. Instead of focusing on improving the school system as a whole the focus is I want what that other person has or else no one get it.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:51 AM

245 posts, read 197,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Those other countries, because they're composed of racially homogenous people cannot really discriminate by race, so they do so by class.

This country is very driven by race. People judge you based on what your ethnicity is.
I pretty much meant other states and cities.
ATL is very black and high income areas simply do better than the lower income areas. Many parts of Fl are very white and lower income areas don't do as well as the higher income ones.
More than likely a two parent household with more disposable income. They can afford extra curricular activities and more books.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
An article from The Daily Caller.

That says it all about what these idiots will believe.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The main focus seems to be on manhattan where you have higher concentration of wealthy/educated white families in a few public schools. Part of what driving this is the jealous aspect of human nature. This advocacy group don't really cares about white working class neighborhoods. Instead of focusing on improving the school system as a whole the focus is I want what that other person has or else no one get it.

Yes it is mainly about Manhattan. But the battle is also being played out in parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Where ever you still have decent to large populations still of white middle to upper class household.

Brooklyn is becoming a war zone regarding public education as whites moving further west into areas like Prospect Heights, Bedford Stuyvesant, Clinton Hill, Crown Heights, Ditmas Park, or south into Red Hook, Windsor Terrace, etc... Whites have always been in "South Brooklyn", but many sent their kids to what where then high performing public schools, or to private (mostly Catholic, but others).

Park Slope area has long been the "new Upper West Side in Brooklyn" but things are getting heated there as well. The pioneers who bought/moved there a decade or so ago are now facing a "gentrification" of sorts as even more affluent whites fleeing Manhattan arrive, and not all of them have the same liberal/left/democratic views.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
That's definitely not a lot of money for a 27 year old actuary. Tell her to find another job. Her salary is probably depressed because the employer is taking advantage of her h1b status. The question you should be asking is how many highly educated Americans with STEM drgrees that are willing to work hard don't make that kind of money. Fyi starting pay packages at top tech firms are now 6 figures for 22 year olds. But don't think you can just walk in and get a job. Unless you are genuinely interested in algorithms, you better prep hard. Anyone can do a simple search and find out. I've been coding for years and would probably need to prep for a few months if I had to go through their standard interview process.
That's a pretty damn good salary for a 27 year old...stop being such an elitist

Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes it is mainly about Manhattan. But the battle is also being played out in parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Where ever you still have decent to large populations still of white middle to upper class household.

Brooklyn is becoming a war zone regarding public education as whites moving further west into areas like Prospect Heights, Bedford Stuyvesant, Clinton Hill, Crown Heights, Ditmas Park, or south into Red Hook, Windsor Terrace, etc... Whites have always been in "South Brooklyn", but many sent their kids to what where then high performing public schools, or to private (mostly Catholic, but others).

Park Slope area has long been the "new Upper West Side in Brooklyn" but things are getting heated there as well. The pioneers who bought/moved there a decade or so ago are now facing a "gentrification" of sorts as even more affluent whites fleeing Manhattan arrive, and not all of them have the same liberal/left/democratic views.
It's not just whites, but Asians too. Over heard a conversation between two immigrants that don't speak much English and one asked the other how come the elementary and middle schools in Northeast Queens are so good and the high school meh. The other responded by saying Jamaica kids. So everyone knows how unzoning impacts the good areas by funneling family problems from other areas. After they unzoned the high schools almost all the kids in Jamaica that can at least get a D in school rushed into Northeast Queens, Forest Hills, etc and the school's former top 100 national rank became no more. Meanwhile because the high schools in northeast queens still did minimal screening all the kids who had no chance of doing well were left in Jamaica. Eventually they had to shut down some of the high schools in Jamaica because they were doing so poorly after most of the C and D students left the administors gave up.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Kinda like what max said, I think they should focus on making the underperforming schools better. If people can enroll their kids wherever they want, it will probably wnd up with some of the underperforming schools doing even worse.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It's a myth in NYC. You can throw all the money you want at the ghettos which they've been doing and it still wont help. Now they're going to try to get all the competent whites and Asians to parent black and Hispanic kids without even being able to smash some booty.
You're delusional

Old 06-08-2017, 01:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Stop being such an Uncle Wong
Speak when you work hard all your left to better your kid's future and actually live and have kids going to school in NYC. LONG Guylanders shouldn't talk like they know NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City