Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is really what parents are supposed to do regardless of the school. Exposing them out of school, getting them tutors or after school programs if need be, helping them with their homework, talking to the teachers and school officials about what's going on, etc.
Agreed and I will do that, but I own a house in a top performiing school district in Northeast Queens. A significant percentage of the kids in my local junior high gets into the specialized high schools. Why do I want to give that up? What should I give that up? The point of working hard in life is to improve your own situation. I've done that, and think I deserve to live with people and have my kids go to school with people that have similar.

And honestly both me and my wife are pretty exhausted each and every single day from working and parenting. Both our days start around 6ish and doesn't end till about 10 when our kids go to bed. We also pay a significant chunk of our paycheck towards nannies/daycares. This is the life that we both worked on for decades. The thought of making out lives parenting that much more difficult would make stayiing in NYC totally not worthwhile for us. That's all I have to say my kids are waking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 04:38 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
NYC specialized schools are indeed public schools. Public schools not just in demographics, but financing. But the same would be said on suburban schools. Huge difference in the quality of the schools between Newark and Edgewater.
The specialized schools do much better in financing than others largely because of fundraising , both from current student families and alumni association. I remember when I was admitted, but before I attended , they were already soliciting $150+ donations (this was 2 decades ago). Nowadays, these schools have endowments in the millions.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:21 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
NYC specialized schools are indeed public schools. Public schools not just in demographics, but financing. But the same would be said on suburban schools. Huge difference in the quality of the schools between Newark and Edgewater.
Financing isn't anything compared to the student body.
NYC Specialized schools are selective schools. Comparing them to non-selective schools only paints inaccurate pictures in comparing data.

Edgewater has no High School district, but you can bet anyone who lives in the zones of a NJ public high school can attend it. Funding and spending per student are also relatively similar between districts.

It's what parents bring to the table privately that create vast differences- and how much faster students can work through curriculum without ill-behaved children and liberal governments protecting them.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:23 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
The specialized schools do much better in financing than others largely because of fundraising , both from current student families and alumni association. I remember when I was admitted, but before I attended , they were already soliciting $150+ donations (this was 2 decades ago). Nowadays, these schools have endowments in the millions.
They actually have lower spending on average than most DOE schools because of lower need for behavioral deans and attendance teachers. Also pork spending on remedial programs is largely unnecessary.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:07 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I grew up going to Parochial School, then on to 2 nyc public schools. I did go one summer to public school and experienced the big difference in education. It just felt so institutional, rough, and the kids going there even rougher. While the graduating grade school class decided where to go to HS, I did not want the Parochial experience no more, and like the option of picking and applying to my school of choice.

I chose a school for the courses offered, how hard it was to get there, racial make up, boys to girls ratio, and what kind of gang violence I could expect from the school, or on the way there. rough choices as a teen. I had the option of picking up a trade, and school budgets sucked. I was surprised that the schools did not have a fully collegiate sports teams , the uniformed security, the amount of guns and drugs sold in the school, and the serious threat of group beat downs. the racial divide was there. Academically, it was my choice to show up and learn, and my choice for a regular HS diploma, or the Regents diploma, and SATs for college entrance. They gave a student the easy way out.

as it was then, and it is now, until HS, you are stuck to your zone school, grade k-8. You can apply to HS of choice, and hope you get accepted. For k -8, depending on your address, you will be guaranteed a seat in your school zone, and can ask to have your child sent to another school, if they let you in. So, move to a zoned address of the better school zone, and everything will work out.

As for these Charter Schools, there is a FIX to get your kid in. Always a racket! I am not buying that those schools are safer, or offer better education. Many schools do play with the stats, to keep getting funding, and to look good on paper.

As for the Private/catholic HS, yes there is a group of students, whose parents shell out some good money, and the kids do take it serious , among their peers, feeling special and entitled. They do get a different education than offered in a public HS, Have their team sports and access to good playing fields. I feel these kids do miss out, on independence, of taking the subway and bus to schools, in rougher neighborhoods, or into the city on their own. I also dont know of many Private schools that would offer so many tech programs as Public Schools.

The city should promote more Tech/Vocational HS, Wearing of uniforms in HS, televise the HS sports games, Make College prep courses Mandatory, push the students to go to college. offer a program so kids can keep their grades up to make college free! make trade schools free!
When I was in Far Rockaway HS (late 1990s) I had a home economics class. The one thing I remember from that class was they taught us how to balance a check book. I don't even own personal checks nowadays. But I always remembered that one time in class they taught us how to balance a check book because it was prepping us for the real world. I've heard stories about how NYC public high schools in the '60s and '70s had advanced home ec, like they taught you how to make minor repairs in your home and stuff.......nothing like that exists today in the public school system......bring home ec back! The car can't drive without gas, your child's brain being the car and positive influence being the gas.......these kids need something to do, school should be the place where you get liberated, and learn HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, but humans ruin everything!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Dead on! ^^^

School is not longer about preparing kids for the real world. It's about preparing them to spend a ton of unnecessary money on college, where they will be indoctrinated into the leftist ideology almost without fail.

I can't wait till college for my kids. It's going to be real fun.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Dead on! ^^^

School is not longer about preparing kids for the real world. It's about preparing them to spend a ton of unnecessary money on college, where they will be indoctrinated into the leftist ideology almost without fail.

I can't wait till college for my kids. It's going to be real fun.
Oh hell no, if my kids want to go to college I'm not stopping them, but I'm going to make sure that they are aware of ALL options.....even if they want to go into acting or something, I'll support it as long as they're serious. The point is to show your children that they just might find some way to support themselves as an adult without feeling like an economic slave.......

Old 06-10-2017, 06:33 AM

I don't even care if its a Youtube video of Africa, Australia, or Asia, you (the parents) are ultimately responsible! We are not depending on NYC public school to teach our children how to be sensible, self-sufficient adults, because thats not what school is for.....soft parents placing their emphasis in the wrong places, thats all. I see school as learning to move socially anyway, like the stuff in the history books are even true, or relevant. The Internet is the encyclopedia now.......

How come NYC public school doesn't have a class on how to sign a lease? LMAO don't we need to know things like this? Instead of learning about slave plantations on nickels? FOH

Old 06-10-2017, 07:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When I was in Far Rockaway HS (late 1990s) I had a home economics class. The one thing I remember from that class was they taught us how to balance a check book. I don't even own personal checks nowadays. But I always remembered that one time in class they taught us how to balance a check book because it was prepping us for the real world. I've heard stories about how NYC public high schools in the '60s and '70s had advanced home ec, like they taught you how to make minor repairs in your home and stuff.......nothing like that exists today in the public school system......bring home ec back! The car can't drive without gas, your child's brain being the car and positive influence being the gas.......these kids need something to do, school should be the place where you get liberated, and learn HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, but humans ruin everything!
Because Black and Hispanic kids, activists said, were disproportionately placed in these courses, while why kids were disproportionately placed on the college track courses. So they got rid of all the courses that directly prepped kids for things like working class jobs.

In a number of countries around the world, they still do teach these courses. Those who score well go on a college prep track, and those who score poorly go on the courses that prepare one for working class jobs. I'm think of China, Japan, Korea, Germany and other European nations, etc.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't even care if its a Youtube video of Africa, Australia, or Asia, you (the parents) are ultimately responsible! We are not depending on NYC public school to teach our children how to be sensible, self-sufficient adults, because thats not what school is for.....soft parents placing their emphasis in the wrong places, thats all. I see school as learning to move socially anyway, like the stuff in the history books are even true, or relevant. The Internet is the encyclopedia now.......

How come NYC public school doesn't have a class on how to sign a lease? LMAO don't we need to know things like this? Instead of learning about slave plantations on nickels? FOH
See my comments on the tracking, re: they decided that everyone had to be put on a college track or it was racism.

With that said, at the community college level they do indeed hire graduate student tutors to teach the students things like how to fill out applications, resumes, etc. But they're dealing with specialized populations who have been to prison at young ages and never finished high school, who don't have good English language skills, etc. Then again if you're parents or someone else give you basic help in filling out an application, from there on you should know how to fill out other applications including leases. Assuming one is good at reading and writing I don't know there needs to be a class on how to fill out and sign a lease!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City