Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am told others see the same thing. Drivers are told "don't be confrontational with passengers", but if the line has a lot of deadbeats, they will have to go out of service, stopping the bus and turning off engine or whatever. Catch 22.

No need to even go with "confrontational" in most instances. Just say "pay your fare" instead of simply waving persons on who don't have correct amounts on their Metrocards.

You also have bus drivers that close the doors and pull away from the curb before passenger or passengers have inserted their MC. So now of course that person or persons are going to ride for free.

Start writing some of these bus drivers up, that should put an end to things.

MTA loses *50 million* per year on NYC bus fare evasion.

Bus fare evasion now a $50 million problem - Second Ave. Sagas :: Second Ave. Sagas

MTA Says Proof of Payment May Increase Fare Evasion, History Says Otherwise – Streetsblog New York City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:28 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,329,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No need to even go with "confrontational" in most instances. Just say "pay your fare" instead of simply waving persons on who don't have correct amounts on their Metrocards.

You also have bus drivers that close the doors and pull away from the curb before passenger or passengers have inserted their MC. So now of course that person or persons are going to ride for free.

Start writing some of these bus drivers up, that should put an end to things.

MTA loses *50 million* per year on NYC bus fare evasion.

Bus fare evasion now a $50 million problem - Second Ave. Sagas :: Second Ave. Sagas

MTA Says Proof of Payment May Increase Fare Evasion, History Says Otherwise – Streetsblog New York City
Am thinking such a statement would be considered confrontational. Am in accordance with hiring more people to staff buses and confirm payment of fare. Some people won't pay regardless, and so it goes.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Am thinking such a statement would be considered confrontational. Am in accordance with hiring more people to staff buses and confirm payment of fare. Some people won't pay regardless, and so it goes.

Yes, some people won't pay regardless, but if an effort isn't made.....

Start treating far evasion on buses same as subways up to and including arrest, processing/verifying ID and so forth then you'll likely see some changes.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM

245 posts, read 198,064 times
Most of the time if you ask the bus driver or ticket booth person they will let you go through. I did it a few times in college and no one ever said no. I still see people ask now and the bus driver usually lets them on.
I had to do it the other day because EVERY FREAKING MACHINE was broken and it was 1 am in the morning.

However, transportation can be a big issue for the elderly a simple 2.75 can add up for them with all their doctors appointments. They spend the rest of their time shut in when they really should be making an effort to get out and about. I don't think they should be charged more than 1$ a ride if they are over 70 and low income.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
Most of the time if you ask the bus driver or ticket booth person they will let you go through. I did it a few times in college and no one ever said no. I still see people ask now and the bus driver usually lets them on.
I had to do it the other day because EVERY FREAKING MACHINE was broken and it was 1 am in the morning.

However, transportation can be a big issue for the elderly a simple 2.75 can add up for them with all their doctors appointments. They spend the rest of their time shut in when they really should be making an effort to get out and about. I don't think they should be charged more than 1$ a ride if they are over 70 and low income.
They are only charged a $1.35, NOT $2.75 per ride, and many of them don't pay either. May drop a few coins into the fare box if that. Am not sure pity is warranted.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
They are only charged a $1.35, NOT $2.75 per ride, and many of them don't pay either. May drop a few coins into the fare box if that. Am not sure pity is warranted.

Glad you said it; am tired of telling about reduced fare MC to this group. Just when you straighten one person out up comes another repeating the exact same thing.

Am going to start making people write it out "on the blackboard" one hundred times.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,025 times
Can't afford a Subway ride?

How the hell are you paying for your apartment?

That's subsidized too?!

Go move to Syracuse. There's someone to take your place.
Stop catering to the poor and USELESS.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Another thing people do is have like 4 metro cards and keep trying them when they are all empty, finally the bus driver gets over the whole thing and waves go through to them.
OK I've done that! I have also been that person on the select bus that didn't pay - got to an out of the way stop and realized I had no money on my card and didn't have change (you can't pay with bills or a credit card on the select bus stops). I work from home so I don't get a monthly metrocard, and frequently forget how much I have left on my card(s). The metrocard system generally sucks for buses since you can't check your card before getting on and as the price of a fare gets higher, it's less likely I'll have change to pay on the bus. Before metrocards, you know if you had a token or not, and could plan accordingly.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
OK I've done that! I have also been that person on the select bus that didn't pay - got to an out of the way stop and realized I had no money on my card and didn't have change (you can't pay with bills or a credit card on the select bus stops). I work from home so I don't get a monthly metrocard, and frequently forget how much I have left on my card(s). The metrocard system generally sucks for buses since you can't check your card before getting on and as the price of a fare gets higher, it's less likely I'll have change to pay on the bus. Before metrocards, you know if you had a token or not, and could plan accordingly.
More excuses. Get a receipt and keep track of how many rides you take. If you work from home then you don't use a MetroCard that often. Also haven't you heard about being able to refill your MetroCards? Why have four empty cards? People need to educate themselves better. Really inexcusable.

If you were a tourist I would cut you some slack, but you're a New Yorker aren't you?

Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,795 times
Quote:
More excuses. Get a receipt and keep track of how many rides you take. If you work from home then you don't use a MetroCard that often. Also haven't you heard about being able to refill your MetroCards? Why have four empty cards? People need to educate themselves better. Really inexcusable.

If you were a tourist I would cut you some slack, but you're a New Yorker aren't you?
I'm just trying to keep it real, Riverdale. It's happened to me and I'm sure II'm not the only one. It would be great if it were possible to refill your metrocard at select stops, or at least have a machine that allows you to pay with bills rather than change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City