Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times

Advertisements

I have cablevision in the Bronx. I get basic Cable internet and family cable with iO (extra charges for the cable box and remote). Comes out to slightly under $95 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 05:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Most buildings won't permit a satellite dish to be mounted anywhere on the facade, so that's not an option.

My building has a negotiated rate for basic Time-Warner cable and any extra channels are added onto that basic rate - it comes (with the expanded channels) to about $40/month.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 45,647 times
Cable prices seem pretty standard no matter where you go. I think the biggest difference you are seeing is because nowadays nobody has just cable. Every package comes with over one hundred channels and a free DVR! That is of course until the intro rates expire and you pay mad money. If you don't let the big companies pressure you into something you don't want then you will be able to find a descent deal.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,529 times
I pay $119 in Brooklyn for digital cable w/HD and high-speed internet. Way more than I want to spend.

Does anyone know if Time Warner offers a package that includes high-speed but only baisc cable without a digital box? I'd be fine with CNN and and the networks really but everything seems to be packaged and if you get cable internet "a la carte" it costs like $70.

I really hope that someday the cable companies are forced to offer just the channels you need. I would love to pick 10 channels that I actually watch and pay 50 cents each for them.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
877-393-4448! it's got the entire NYC singing.

Haha yeah, I teach Kindergarten and my kids randomly break into that song. It's funny.

I have the DT value pack and high speed earthlink with Time warner. The cable is the next step up from the basic channels. It's $97 a month.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
Ah, yes. Remember the Telecommunications Act of 1996(?)? They promised it would lower all our phone, tv, internet charges and expand our choices due to competition.

Wow, it's worked so friggin' well!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,566 times
I rolled over my phone to Time Warner and cancelled Verizon DSL last April/May and upped my cable from basic to standard cable. The introductory offer was 99 dollars a month and it comes out to about 115 with taxes included. They called it the triple play pack. I was paying almost the same with Verizon as my phone provider, DSL provider and less cable channels. It made sense for the deal. However, this will be expiring within the next month or so and I have no idea how much it will adjust the package.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
Where else is bait-and-switch legal?

When I went from AOL dial-up to Verizon DSL, I asked whether I would be hit with an increase after my initial year guarantee was up. She said, "It's the trend that these things tend to go down."

I'm waiting. ::drumming fingers on table::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: