Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

all the renderings of the new towers rising on 57th Street, Billionaires' Row, seem to have one thing in common: no balconies. or terraces.

no doubt this omission comes from the extremely small square footage of each floor and, I would think, from the height of the buildings (not sure a balcony would be pleasant some 90 stories up).

still….I have to wonder…

isn't outdoor space virtually essential as part of the QOL of the luxury condominium. Look at penthouses whose strongest selling point is their outdoor space.

I can't imagine wanting and spending on such luxurious places as these condos without having the ability to walk outside from my residence.

am I alone in such thought or do others question the idea of luxury condos with no balcony or terrace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,706 times
Many New York luxury condos don't have outdoor space. A lot of this has to do with usability due to fire codes.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
all the renderings of the new towers rising on 57th Street, Billionaires' Row, seem to have one thing in common: no balconies. or terraces.

no doubt this omission comes from the extremely small square footage of each floor and, I would think, from the height of the buildings (not sure a balcony would be pleasant some 90 stories up).

still….I have to wonder…

isn't outdoor space virtually essential as part of the QOL of the luxury condominium. Look at penthouses whose strongest selling point is their outdoor space.

I can't imagine wanting and spending on such luxurious places as these condos without having the ability to walk outside from my residence.

am I alone in such thought or do others question the idea of luxury condos with no balcony or terrace?
No need for that. Wealthy folks can enjoy central park for a view by their high ceilings valued Windows.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM

120 posts, read 203,376 times
The newest one will. 1 Park Lane, over 1,200 ft, every unit has outdoor space:

Another Glassy Condo Tower for Central Park South, Revealed! - Invasion of the Supertalls - Curbed NY

Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Your average billionaire probably does not care that he can't grill a hotdog on his patio. On millionaires or less care about those things.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
These are basically celebs, politicians, and corrupt foreigner politicans living in these blacked out boxes. Inside they have tons of high end call girls and parties that they don't want the public to see.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I agree. i would at least like to walk out onto a terrace, absolutely. If even just to sit there and water my plants and take in the view, for sure.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Your average billionaire probably does not care that he can't grill a hotdog on his patio. On millionaires or less care about those things.

he wasnt talking about grilling a hot dog.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM

282 posts, read 351,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

still….I have to wonder…

A new super tall tower in that area will have outdoor space for every apartment

Revealed: 1 Park Lane, at 36 Central Park South, 1,210-Foot Tall Condo Tower Replacing the Helmsley Park Lane - New York Yimby

Outdoor space can be nice to have, but they're no longer really a selling point. The most expensive apartments - from Time Warner to One57 to London's One Hyde Park, to many of the tony condos in Monaco don't have outdoor space. Outdoor space takes away from the sleek exterior design and outdoor space at those heights are also scary and windy.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Plus, they're probably part-time residences for many owners. And the owners also likely own other properties that have plenty of outdoor space. Can you open the windows in these buildings?

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in a place where I couldn't open the windows. But I don't live in Manhattan. Visited a friend in Brooklyn living in the top (3rd) floor of a row house. With the windows and a tiny backyard it felt much more pleasant; made the concrete jungle surroundings not as obvious, didn't feel much worse than my home. Not even that much noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City