Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:34 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times

Advertisements

He has a Masters degree in Surfing. He's vex with the world for his own predicament. Again, if you can't get work in the food industry in NYC, something is wrong with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 06:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Troll. If he can't even find a minimum wage job then how has he been paying Manhattan rent this whole time?

Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
ABQ no need to get your panties all in a wad. Here in the USA we are barely even allowed to discuss race or immigration anymore, unless of course, you are an immigrant or something of that nature. Oddly, the only people in the world who are racists, are US citizens. It is just very frustrating and it is also very very sad to see this happen to our country. I am most definitely against illegal immigrants being here. Why? Well I have traveled dozens of countries and with practically all of them, if you overstay your visa, or if you sneak in illegally somehow, what do the countries do? They send the person to JAIL or ship them back to their own country. Because it is illegal. That is not racism. But here in USA for some reason we allow everyone to trample all over us. Also illegal immigrants take so many of our resources away from our own children. Our own children's educations and job prospects go to people who in many cases are breaking the law and belong in JAIL. More Americans (including South American, Central and North America) need to take a stand together and stop this.

I agree that the immigration situation in this country is a problem, but this forum is not the place to talk about it. There is an immigration sub-forum and P&C, as well.

But your quote above just proves that your original post was a troll. Got it.

Making up, 'Woe is me. No one wants to hire the white boy.' stories to generate a flame war over immigration in a city sub-forum is just weak.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM

343 posts, read 254,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Besides those two places, I also passed a third one on the same stretch that just put out a "Hiring" sign. It's Gossip Coffee on 30th Ave.

But why am I bothering. It seems pretty clear this whole thread is just a rant. OP is not interested in anyone's suggestions. Clearly.
Hi Henna, I do appreciate your response. It was pretty cool of you actually. Of course there are a lot of flame throwers and misunderstandings in this topic too, which is the nature of city data.

So anyways I researched into these cafes and found the bagel places on Yelp. Why did I do that? Seriously it is because I want to see in the store photos if they only hire Latinos, Hispanics, and etcetera. It looks like at their Manhattan location (not surprise to me) they possibly only hire those demographics, at least that is what I can see from the photos. Zero surprise. Again for the people who get upset and offended about the littlest of things, these are not racists comments. This is Manhattan.

It's like yesterday, here in Manhattan, I walked around looking into stores for 5 hours. I'd say 99% of the workers that I saw were not white. It's blatantly obvious. I saw a lot of Hispanic descents mostly, and then a lot of Asian's behind the counters, and black folks behind the counter, and a lot of native looking New Yorkers with jobs, but actually I am unsure if I saw any white people working yesterday. So this is just how it is in Manhattan. This is just what I am observing.

But I noticed in your bagel store in Queens they do actually hire white people and probably hire other people in a non discriminatory manner, which is cool. Manhattan on the other hand, is not cool like that. Manhattan discriminates in the form of some backwards diversity laws and I am being shut out for whatever reasons, many of those reasons are outlined in this topic, the good the bad and ugly.

And that literally is the problem I am encountering. It is just discrimination. Thus. I believe my job search needs to go outside of Manhattan.

By the way I was born and raise in Hawaii but I am only half white, =Caucasian.

If anybody wants to commission me for reporting exactly the discrimination that I am experiencing when I walk into stores, if you are a researcher, a lawyer, or anybody else to commission me during my job search, please PM me.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I know I've seen a few flyers posted in windows seeking employees in Astoria on 30th Ave. I didn't pay close attention but if I see anything that might work, I will snap a pic and will post it here.

I wonder if the issue is spotty job history -- meaning job hopping and location hopping. One thing employers HATE is to hire someone, spend time and resources training them and then have the employee leave for something else.
I've had a few solid job histories but also I have skipped around jobs a lot too.

I have hired, fired, and managed employees myself as a business owner and found most millennials have skipped around jobs, and it is completely understandable to me. Those who have skipped around jobs can make just as good of employees as people with long term jobs. In my experience sometimes they are even better then long term employees because long term employees have a higher tendency to be toxic colleagues.

When my employees have displayed toxic work culture habits I can them immediately. Other managers keep them on board and it eventually erodes the bottom line of business.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:54 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I know of some young illegal Europeans (Germans, French) who actually make a good $500 a day just by virtue of speaking their respective language at their European restaurants. These people have come in on a tourist visa and have overstayed.
A lot of Irish do this as well. They come in on a tourist visa, get a bartending gig and never leave. I know some personally. They are good people, though. Some end up paying someone to "marry" them so they can get citizenship. I've even been asked and was offered $20k.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:38 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
I have been seeking additional employment for several months and have applied at wide array of business' in manhattan. I would like to work at a cafe or a bakery a pizzeria or a restaurant. Something along those lines. Nobody is hiring me and I think something is strange about it.

Yes I do have some experience. My resume is fine. I am confident walking into places with my resume smiling and finding a hiring manager to speak with. I follow up. I am well groomed. I research each place. Really putting significant effort into this. Would be nice to just cut to the chase and be told who exactly will hire me.

Yeah I notice the majority of workers may or may not be legal citizens. For whatever reason I do not care but it could ultimately be the soul reason I have no chance getting hired. And I would like to know of places in manhattan that hire legit US citizens. I need a job and something is definately fishy at this point.
I haven't read the whole thread, but did someone ask here if you're actually answering ads, or just walking into places that look interesting? I've certainly seen a few "Hiring" signs lately.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Hi Henna, I do appreciate your response. It was pretty cool of you actually. Of course there are a lot of flame throwers and misunderstandings in this topic too, which is the nature of city data.

So anyways I researched into these cafes and found the bagel places on Yelp. Why did I do that? Seriously it is because I want to see in the store photos if they only hire Latinos, Hispanics, and etcetera. It looks like at their Manhattan location (not surprise to me) they possibly only hire those demographics, at least that is what I can see from the photos. Zero surprise. Again for the people who get upset and offended about the littlest of things, these are not racists comments. This is Manhattan.

It's like yesterday, here in Manhattan, I walked around looking into stores for 5 hours. I'd say 99% of the workers that I saw were not white. It's blatantly obvious. I saw a lot of Hispanic descents mostly, and then a lot of Asian's behind the counters, and black folks behind the counter, and a lot of native looking New Yorkers with jobs, but actually I am unsure if I saw any white people working yesterday. So this is just how it is in Manhattan. This is just what I am observing.

But I noticed in your bagel store in Queens they do actually hire white people and probably hire other people in a non discriminatory manner, which is cool. Manhattan on the other hand, is not cool like that. Manhattan discriminates in the form of some backwards diversity laws and I am being shut out for whatever reasons, many of those reasons are outlined in this topic, the good the bad and ugly.

And that literally is the problem I am encountering. It is just discrimination. Thus. I believe my job search needs to go outside of Manhattan.

By the way I was born and raise in Hawaii but I am only half white, =Caucasian.

If anybody wants to commission me for reporting exactly the discrimination that I am experiencing when I walk into stores, if you are a researcher, a lawyer, or anybody else to commission me during my job search, please PM me.
Wait a minute, you are making this about restaurants/cafes/stores being discriminating against white people and you are only half white? Do you look white- are you assuming this is the reason that you are not being hired? As to the pictures that you see on Yelp, you can't really tell what nationality the restaurant does and does not hire. There are plenty of white people working in these service jobs. A lot of Hispanics/Latinos are white. And what is a native looking New Yorker?

Why limit yourself only to Manhattan? If you are truly eager to get a second job in this industry, you should be looking at all the boroughs of NYC and maybe even in some parts of New Jersey. As another poster asked, how are you conducting this job search, just walking into shops in Manhattan that look interesting, answering ads, following leads, what?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
I have been seeking additional employment for several months and have applied at wide array of business' in manhattan. I would like to work at a cafe or a bakery a pizzeria or a restaurant. Something along those lines. Nobody is hiring me and I think something is strange about it.

Yes I do have some experience. My resume is fine. I am confident walking into places with my resume smiling and finding a hiring manager to speak with. I follow up. I am well groomed. I research each place. Really putting significant effort into this. Would be nice to just cut to the chase and be told who exactly will hire me.

Yeah I notice the majority of workers may or may not be legal citizens. For whatever reason I do not care but it could ultimately be the soul reason I have no chance getting hired. And I would like to know of places in manhattan that hire legit US citizens. I need a job and something is definately fishy at this point.
The answer usually lies within.There could be something wrong with you that you are unaware of but which others pick up on immediately. That is often the case. This problem tends to get magnified by the easiness in finding scapegoats for our own flaws. We are all guilty of this to varying degrees. Sometimes it becomes a major impediment.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Well I was hired today at a place in midtown and also had two other offers call me today. It is a place in Manhattan. Was not easy.

My search for part time work began around three months ago with applying for more professional jobs with benefits and everything including many big corporations. After that was not working well and I decided to just go for food service work. It took me a month to get this food service job.

It took a lot of changing things up daily. It took about 7 interviews until finally being hired.

By the way I have a full time job already working 35-45 hours per week. So I worked that job while also seeking this additional part time work. I put in about 35 hours per week searching for this extra job.

If everything goes as planned I will be at a combine 60+ hours per week 6-7 days per week with 2 jobs. My new boss is black and so far other co workers I met were one Mexican, one black, two Asian, one Bangladeshi, and a white girl. Its a fair mix of people.

No I do not have a masters in surfing but I began surfing in Hawaii at a very early age. By my late teens and into my 20's, surfing skills paid the bills for me and did quite well teaching private lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City