Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM

1,186 posts, read 967,506 times

Advertisements

Hey OP - do you have a college degree listed on your resume? This is a huge red flag to employers looking for minimum wage workers, as it means you are 'over-qualified' (even if you are willing to work the job) and probably won't stick around long, which is a waste of their time from a hiring/training perspective.

Remove the college degree, list your high school level education/GED and prior (relevant) work history, if any. I did this while I was studying for the bar exam (left off my college, law school, etc) and got a job at Jamba Juice for $7.50/hr. Even then most of the interview consisted of 'Are you *sure* you want to work here?'

There's such a thing as being "too" qualified/clean-cut/prepared/polished to apply for a minimum-wage job. I can't say it is an art, but there are definitely some steps you can take to see if you are sabotaging your chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM

926 posts, read 417,854 times
To the OP: I hear you.

No, it's probably not you the problem. Yes, there is discrimination in the US (and especially in super-liberal Manhattan) - absolutely.
Discrimination if you're a US Citizen, and if you're from the white working class. From all of the people I know (both US citizens and non-citizens, of many different ethnic backgrounds) and from my own experiences in America, it is crystal clear.

Best of luck, OP.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM

926 posts, read 417,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you a US citizen? From your posts, it seems more likely that you are a citizen of a European country and spent a little time in NYC. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're absolutely correct. I'm not a US citizen, but a EU citizen as well as an Israeli citizen.

I was on the other side of the fence, so to speak, and I met quite a few other people who were also working or studying in the US as non-US citizens. I can confirm the OP's feelings.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:14 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Hey OP - do you have a college degree listed on your resume? This is a huge red flag to employers looking for minimum wage workers, as it means you are 'over-qualified' (even if you are willing to work the job) and probably won't stick around long, which is a waste of their time from a hiring/training perspective.

Remove the college degree, list your high school level education/GED and prior (relevant) work history, if any. I did this while I was studying for the bar exam (left off my college, law school, etc) and got a job at Jamba Juice for $7.50/hr. Even then most of the interview consisted of 'Are you *sure* you want to work here?'

There's such a thing as being "too" qualified/clean-cut/prepared/polished to apply for a minimum-wage job. I can't say it is an art, but there are definitely some steps you can take to see if you are sabotaging your chances.
This is good advice. I got the sense from his posts about them only hiring immigrants to be code for those jobs having an over representation of "brown people" and they don't want to hire him because he's not brown, black or an immigrant. The issue may very well not be because you look different from the other workers but because you "act" different. What hiring manager at CVS wants to hire an entitled sounding over educated person who thinks they are better than the other workers or even the manager.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
... The issue may very well not be because you look different from the other workers but because you "act" different. What hiring manager at CVS wants to hire an entitled sounding over educated person who thinks they are better than the other workers or even the manager.
Yeah, that sounds about right to me, because like others here, something about the OP just didn't pass the smell test. (And no, I'm not talking about deodorant.) Humility can go a long way, and it sounds as if the OP just doesn't show any when he needs to.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
Workforce 1 does hiring events every morning. Tons of restaurant jobs.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
I am a straight male. No I do not wear deodorant, I use all natural soap and baking soda. Yes I have all my teeth. Im a great employee. I am presentable with a polished appearance. I graduated from U of Hawai'i but do not have that on my restaurant resume. Of course I am frustrated some days because this is insane.

Even if I had some drastic personality flaw disqualifying me, I mean, are all people who work low wage jobs somehow perfection? Because I get awful and depressing service all the time in manhattan. I am trained in customer service and enjoy interacting with people, but many people they hire hate it.
Dude you smell trust me. Wear anti perspirant.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 PM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Its true I am not cutting the mustard. I do have a masters degree from U Hawaii. All I put on my restaurant resume is high school diploma. Ive attended many lectures about job searching and career advancement, and recruiters who describe how insane it can be finding work today.

I was born in Hawaii and taught surfing lessons and also competed in many places. Ive traveled a lot. Ive been an entrepreneur most of my life and have managed my family tourism business and managed employees. I have hired and fired people.

As far as interviewing goes I have read multiple books about passing job interviews. So yeah it is hard to dumb everything down. But Im still a good hire. I just need to find the right place to apply. My radar changes every day, every day I plan out where I will job search and I mix it up and cast multiple lines out there daily.

Manhattan is a ball buster for some demographics of people but easy for others. What I am reporting is authentic information about my job search in Manhattan. This is in Manhattan. Theres tons of folks here with jobs that require English, they are fresh off the boat and they do not speak a single lick of our language and they got jobs no problem.

Again if anyone is interested in commissioning me to report more detailed info, PM me. I am perfectly comfortable talking with strangers and I am a strong job seeker with sales experience. A lot of people working at these places blow the whistle and describe how the company would never hire me due to blatant discrimination. Oh well. I am hard nosed and just move on to the next establishment and eventually something has got to give...

Old 08-23-2017, 05:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
There are two places in Astoria that I passed yesterday that have hiring signs up in their windows. The first is Brooklyn Bagel and the second is Bonjour Crepes.

The email at Brooklyn bagel got cut off but it's info@bkbagel.com

Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 AM

360 posts, read 372,515 times
Send a job application to Starbucks, there is a SB everywhere in NYC.
Go on Starbucks.com there is a careers section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City