Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I can agree with this. In a city like NY where handouts are common, no mentally stable person will resort to the trash as a first option.

Just what "handouts" are you referring to that are given out so freely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am too busy to loiter around the supermarket and Starbucks. That's for people like you who apparently hasn't worked in a very long time. If it helps you get off to do that in your old age, then go straight ahead and do it.

Are you on disability Bugsy? A lot of gay men who contracted HIV got disability. Is that your situation? Are you on welfare and this is why you're so able to hang around and observe people go through the garbage for food?

But back to when I lost my job, ANY working person who makes money on the books can get unemployment. Any person period, even if they are not a citizen can go to the soup kitchen. So I'm not sure what you mean by upper class background. Anyone with any class, even a minimum wage person has enough class to not go through the garbage.

The only other way I could see you being so familiar with garbage hunters is if you have a massive substance abuse problem, spend all your money except for rent, and have to go to the garbage for food. Are you an alcoholic or junkie?
Make all the snide remarks you want; that is how you roll. Typical of some gay men; you behave like a woman; when threatened out come catty and bitchy remarks that only *YOU* think are witty.

Meanwhile your story changes with the phases of moon.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
And a lot of NYers don't drive, so that sell and move to a little town somewhere isn't going to work for them. Also, some little towns around here, rent is still $1250. Rent is out of line.
Are you saying because someone didn't learn how to drive at age 17 or 22 that learning at age 50 is out of the question? If so, that's silly. Anyone can learn to drive at any age, provided they are physically able (eyesight, etc.). My NYC-raised friend who is around 50 or 52 just learned this year. She made up her mind to do it and went to a driving school and learned. Guess it's not impossible.

Maybe some like to use "Oh, I don't know how to drive" as an excuse that they can't move out of NY.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:31 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just what "handouts" are you referring to that are given out so freely?
For starters one can get a free meal at a soup kitchen 3 times a day in a few places for each boro. That’s before even considering shelters, hospitals, or more advanced programs like snap, wic, housing assistance, etc.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
For starters one can get a free meal at a soup kitchen 3 times a day in a few places for each boro. That’s before even considering shelters, hospitals, or more advanced programs like snap, wic, housing assistance, etc.

Last time one looked hospitals do not give out free food. If you are patient or someone being treated that is another story.

WIC is only for women who are expected, have delivered and infants or children up to school age (five).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC#Eligibility

Yes, there are soup kitchens and such, but many are only open for certain limited hours or days of week.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/downl...ee%20meals.pdf

As for the rest of your post people don't go to shelters for the same reasons many won't or don't go to soup kitchens.

Regarding SNAP and other so called "free" benefits, that means applying for welfare/assistance. And no, not everyone receives all that they want and or feels (is) properly handled. The sad fate and story of WildCardSteve shows just how dysfunctional the NYC shelter/assistance system is; so much so that the last we heard from Steve he left that system and went to panhandling/begging on the streets.

You are also convinently forgetting that people *KNOW* all about dumpster diving and where to go. Contrary to what you and your co-signer (NYWriterWhatever) supermarkets, shops, and other places throw out tons of perfectly good food every day. Everything from whole roasted BBQ chicken to entire meat cases of packaged poultry, meats and so forth.

If you are lucky enough to have a home and thus able to cook, you don't need a soup kitchen, just the food.

Those roasted chickens some are paying $$$ for at Trader Joe's just before closing, are basically free to dumpster divers/the homeless or anyone else willing to dig through TJ's garbage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DumpsterDiv...fter=t3_765t81

Dumpster Diving In Brooklyn Photos - Business Insider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwX4TU4I64A

Last edited by BugsyPal; 10-18-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 03:09 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
My point about hospitals is that it takes almost nothing to be taken to one in NYC. I know, I’ve been bringing them for years...

Nywriter and I rarely agree, he’s no “co-signer” of mine. On this point though, he’s right.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Last time one looked hospitals do not give out free food. If you are patient or someone being treated that is another story.

WIC is only for women who are expected, have delivered and infants or children up to school age (five).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC#Eligibility

Yes, there are soup kitchens and such, but many are only open for certain limited hours or days of week.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/mancb7/downl...ee%20meals.pdf

As for the rest of your post people don't go to shelters for the same reasons many won't or don't go to soup kitchens.

Regarding SNAP and other so called "free" benefits, that means applying for welfare/assistance. And no, not everyone receives all that they want and or feels (is) properly handled. The sad fate and story of WildCardSteve shows just how dysfunctional the NYC shelter/assistance system is; so much so that the last we heard from Steve he left that system and went to panhandling/begging on the streets.

You are also convinently forgetting that people *KNOW* all about dumpster diving and where to go. Contrary to what you and your co-signer (NYWriterWhatever) supermarkets, shops, and other places throw out tons of perfectly good food every day. Everything from whole roasted BBQ chicken to entire meat cases of packaged poultry, meats and so forth.

If you are lucky enough to have a home and thus able to cook, you don't need a soup kitchen, just the food.

Those roasted chickens some are paying $$$ for at Trader Joe's just before closing, are basically free to dumpster divers/the homeless or anyone else willing to dig through TJ's garbage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DumpsterDiv...fter=t3_765t81

Dumpster Diving In Brooklyn Photos - Business Insider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwX4TU4I64A
Am in disbelief. Cannot fathom why so much food goes to waste.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
My point about hospitals is that it takes almost nothing to be taken to one in NYC. I know, I’ve been bringing them for years...

Nywriter and I rarely agree, he’s no “co-signer” of mine. On this point though, he’s right.

Emergency rooms in this city are already clogged up with persons that shouldn't be there; now you want to turn them into restaurants/soup kitchens as well?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am in disbelief. Cannot fathom why so much food goes to waste.

Again, the reason behind what some call "madness"

They asked that guy why he robbed banks. Well the same can be said of those "dumpster diving", that is where they can find food.

City is going to be rolling out an expanded mandatory composting program soon IIRC. Though not sure if it will cover all food stores/supermarkets. That may see more veggies and fruits diverted from trash bags to compost bins.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:52 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Again, the reason behind what some call "madness"

They asked that guy why he robbed banks. Well the same can be said of those "dumpster diving", that is where they can find food.

City is going to be rolling out an expanded mandatory composting program soon IIRC. Though not sure if it will cover all food stores/supermarkets. That may see more veggies and fruits diverted from trash bags to compost bins.
Will that mean less throw out in the trash bags for divers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: