Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three secondary downtowns do you prefer?
Downtown Brooklyn (including DUMBO) 33 55.93%
Long Island City 14 23.73%
Downtown Jersey City / Waterfront 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is widely known because of Williamsburg's revival. Not because of Downtown Brooklyn having Metrotech. Downtown Brooklyn's popularity increased because it is in the same boro as Williamsburg and Park Slope.

@OyCrumbler - Dumbo does not have a lot of jobs. It really doesn't have a lot of anything other than people taking photos of the other side of the river.
How does DUMBO not have a lot of jobs? It’s a tiny neighborhood, but has the headquarters of Etsy, Huge, Big Spaceship, West Elm, and a ton of other smaller companies. If you work in tech in almost any capacity in NYC, then you are going to be aware of how much employment there is in DUMBO. Don’t pass off your disdain for the area as actual fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How does DUMBO not have a lot of jobs? It’s a tiny neighborhood, but has the headquarters of Etsy, Huge, Big Spaceship, West Elm, and a ton of other smaller companies. If you work in tech in almost any capacity in NYC, then you are going to be aware of how much employment there is in DUMBO. Don’t pass off your disdain for the area as actual fact.
And it keeps growing really fast, every few months something else pops up in this area. I feel like people that haven't even stepped in the Borough in a year or so would not even recognize it...

Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
I'm living in the Long Island, but think than Downtown Brooklyn will be have a better case for being a direct expansion of the Manhattan central business districts.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
Have you been to Flushing? It beats Brooklyn as a whole in terms of concentrations of restaurants and grocery stores. It has also more upcoming big retail/office/residential complex than any other neighborhoods in NYC. It can be viewed as a smaller version of Hongkong or Shanghai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Not to mention the City Point complex. With alamo drafthouse, City target, Trader Joe’s and not to mention the second biggest food hall in NY.

What does flushing have besides dentist offices and elderly living facilities?

Honestly if you throw dumbo in the mix no neighborhood can really compete.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
I don’t know how people normally define downtown Brooklyn, but to me, it doesn’t include the waterfront or Brooklyn bridge park or dumbo. Rather it’s the area between Brooklyn heights and Atlantic terminal. So borough hall, Fulton mall, metro tech, etc.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Have you been to Flushing? It beats Brooklyn as a whole in terms of concentrations of restaurants and grocery stores. It has also more upcoming big retail/office/residential complex than any other neighborhoods in NYC. It can be viewed as a smaller version of Hongkong or Shanghai
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Flushing has a greater density of these than all of Brooklyn or just any equivalent part of Brooklyn? The former is silly because one is a neighborhood and the other is a borough and these are of vastly different sizes. The latter is likely true for concentrations of restaurants and grocery stores, but there are places that aren't too far off in a few dense, immigrant neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Flushing also definitely does not have more upcoming big retail/office/residential complexes than any other neighborhood in NYC. It has a lot, but what you're saying is ridiculous. Hudson Yards has more, Long Island City has more and downtown Brooklyn/DUMBO has more. I suspect North Brooklyn along the Williamsburg and Greenpoint waterfront also has more. What downtown Flushing has is a lot of already established density from the last three decades and a good number of sizable developments. Its already dense development, relatively few parcels of empty land, and the LaGuardia flight path restricting heights means there's only so much it can have on the docket, though it is building a lot for a far out neighborhood.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-02-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I don’t know how people normally define downtown Brooklyn, but to me, it doesn’t include the waterfront or Brooklyn bridge park or dumbo. Rather it’s the area between Brooklyn heights and Atlantic terminal. So borough hall, Fulton mall, metro tech, etc.
I'm including DUMBO to make the comparisons physically closer in size and character (to include the waterfront and much of the new construction and development).

Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Flushing has Willet Point, Tangram, and Flushing commons, just to name a few huge projects.
It also has many medium sized development projects.
Of course, I know LIC has a lot of projects, but those projects are mostly for residential. It does not have the retail/office/entertainment. The same is for Brooklyn

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Flushing has a greater density of these than all of Brooklyn or just any equivalent part of Brooklyn? The former is silly because one is a neighborhood and the other is a borough and these are of vastly different sizes. The latter has a good chance of being true, but it's not like places such as Sunset Park or Brighton Beach are that far off.

It also definitely does not have more upcoming big retail/office/residential complexes than any other neighborhood in NYC. It has a lot, but what you're saying is ridiculous. The Hudson Yards has more, Long Island City has more and downtown Brooklyn/DUMBO has more. I suspect North Brooklyn along the Williamsburg and Greenpoint waterfront also has more. What downtown Flushing has is a lot of already established density from the last three decades and a good number of sizable developments.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Flushing has Willet Point, Tangram, and Flushing commons, just to name a few huge projects.
It also has many medium sized development projects.
Of course, I know LIC has a lot of projects, but those projects are mostly for residential. It does not have the retail/office/entertainment. The same is for Brooklyn
I understand it has a lot of projects (and Willets Point is not really on the docket, only zoned for development). LIC has a lot of mostly residential projects, but they often come with retail on the bottom. It also still has a good deal of commercial construction--it's just overshadowed by the sheer amount of residential. DUMBO and downtown Brooklyn is different. It also swings residential, but less so than LIC it seems, and the sheer amount of projects with most of them mixed use means that there is a lot of non-residential construction happening. I don't see how this is really arguable.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM

You seem to combine a lot of Brooklyn neighborhoods together. The DUMBO/down brooklyn is
a lot bigger area than Flushing or LIC. so it is not a fair comparison.

Quote:
I understand it has a lot of projects (and Willets Point is not really on the docket, only zoned for development). LIC has a lot of mostly residential projects, but they often come with retail on the bottom. It also still has a good deal of commercial construction--it's just overshadowed by the sheer amount of residential. DUMBO and downtown Brooklyn is different. It also swings residential, but less so than LIC it seems, and the sheer amount of projects with most of them mixed use means that there is a lot of non-residential construction happening. I don't see how this is really arguable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City