Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three secondary downtowns do you prefer?
Downtown Brooklyn (including DUMBO) 33 55.93%
Long Island City 14 23.73%
Downtown Jersey City / Waterfront 12 20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 AM

274 posts, read 297,659 times

Advertisements

I want to do a plug for Jersey City waterfront.

If you live in Jersey City and work in NYC, your don't have to pay the NYC income tax, which can be a substantial amount of change depending on your income. Rents are also much less expensive for comparable units (because it's Jersey and many NYers refuse to even consider it despite the advantages). The real secret is the PATH train. You can be in the WTC/FiDi, Tribeca, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, or Herald Square all under 10 minutes by PATH. That's much faster than LIC and equal to downtown Brooklyn's commute. The folks living in the fringes of Queens and Brooklyn, paying thousands in rent, when Jersey is just across the river has me baffled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:47 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post

If you live in Jersey City and work in NYC, your don't have to pay the NYC income tax, which can be a substantial amount of change depending on your income. Rents are also much less expensive for comparable units (because it's Jersey and many NYers refuse to even consider it despite the advantages). The real secret is the PATH train. You can be in the WTC/FiDi, Tribeca, Greenwich Village, Chelsea, or Herald Square all under 10 minutes by PATH. That's much faster than LIC and equal to downtown Brooklyn's commute. The folks living in the fringes of Queens and Brooklyn, paying thousands in rent, when Jersey is just across the river has me baffled.
The problem with NJ is that you have to have 2 unlimited cards (PATH Smartlink and NYC Metrocard), since the fare system is not integrated if you ride frequently. Having that extra transportation expense is a sort of "NJ tax", plus the neighborhoods around PATH Stations in Jersey City simply are not that good compared to Brooklyn and Queens, and Hoboken, which is equivalent, is just as expensive (or even more) rent wise.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:

“Fringes of queens and Brooklyn”? That’s not where people are paying the higher rents.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:43 AM

274 posts, read 297,659 times
Higher rents than Jersey City. And no one is carrying around 2 unlimited metro cards. PATH takes cash value metro card.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Higher rents than Jersey City. And no one is carrying around 2 unlimited metro cards. PATH takes cash value metro card.
It's still higher cost since you have to pay double fares.

They should integrate PATH and NYCT into a single system, and have free transfers between both systems like other MTA subway trains, but that would mean both governors would have to take their heads out of their behinds... and that will never happen.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM

375 posts, read 323,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It's still higher cost since you have to pay double fares.

They should integrate PATH and NYCT into a single system, and have free transfers between both systems like other MTA subway trains, but that would mean both governors would have to take their heads out of their behinds... and that will never happen.
I just found this out the other day going into Jersey City for my job. At least I didn't have to pay double the fare or I would've been pissed, lol. They really should integrate both systems but sadly that won't happen like you said.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
Brooklyn is the best

Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

How does downtown Jersey City and the waterfront compare to the others in regards to being active and busy? Do you feel like its more an extension of Manhattan’s CBD than the others?

I’m impressed by the development out there, but I’ll echo other people’s sentiment and wish that PATH had worked out a fare sharing agreement with MTA to allow unlimited cards to be used on it.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:

I rather say I live in NYC then NJ

Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I definitely understand not liking DUMBO or downtown Brooklyn, but that wasn’t what you were arguing.

The Navy Yard has a lot of potential especially as they’re constructing so much housing on the south side of Flushing Avenue where people working there can live. I think the transit issue needs to be fixed as the B57 is infrequent and goes down to a crawl once it passes east of Williamsburg Street, the B69 is infrequent and the subway stations are a distance away. Most people I know who work there bike. The Navy Yard could also use another western entrance. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when that ferry stop comes around next year.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in DUMBO? I think it was you in another thread talking about the area around the Javits Center on the far west side of Manhattan and how empty and rundown it was, but weren't aware how much development had gone in since you were last there. This might be the same case now.

I think it’s hard to tell if the equivalent area in downtown Flushing would have the same number of jobs. Downtown Flushing has a lot of service industry jobs and far more than DUMBO does (which accounts for a lot more restaurants and shops), but probably has less for the equivalent land area of dedicated office space which doesn’t need a bunch of physical space for its clientele. It’d be interesting to try to get a count of that.
I'm in Downtown Brooklyn, Dumbo, and LIC often. I'm never in Jersey City. Downtown Flushing may not have as many municipal jobs as Downtown Brooklyn or as high a number of new developments as LIC or as many tech startups that will eventually go wayside as Dumbo, but it has much more of a 24 hour city feel than any of them. It is a busier area with just as many hotels, a hospital, and the busiest public library in the nation. And once a development goes up in Flushing it gets filled up and put to use immediately, unlike Downtown Brooklyn where consessions have to be thrown at perspective tenants. There is business going down in Flushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City