Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Corona is not worst hood I will say as long you have street smarts it can be manageable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
So I grew up in Corona in the 80s-00s, I would break it up like north of Roosevelt, south of the LIRR. (North, middle, South). Back in the day, the PR and Dominicans were mainly north of Roosevelt. Italians were south. I watched as a lot of Chinese bought out the Italians.
Mid -90s was the construction boom and because of the favorable R5 zoning in many areas of Corona, those 40x100 single family homes were built up 2x semi-detached 3 family brick apartments so that means where there was a family of 4 would now house 18-24 legally. My block, 1 block off of Roosevelt saw 3 plots put up double 3 family homes. 2 spare lots turned into 2 3 family homes. 3 homes which were legal 2s, were legally converted to 3 and 4 family homes. This doesn't even include the illegal additions which were put up too. This is why there are so many people here now.

I own one of those 3 fams and they usually have 2 3bd/2bh apts. Its husband/wife (small kid occasionally) per room usually, so yes, it gets crowded but that's how they afford the $2500 rent.

Corona's a busy area where you got more people with lots of time on their hands and that leads to the petty crime like breaking into cars and stealing stuff off your porch. I come by 2x a week and still see it. The drunks sleeping in the street, 7 years kids know when people are smoking marijuana, children and parents who have no respect for other peoples property and also for the fact that many of these homes are rentals. Owners don't care about the property so a lot of the homes are run down and they don't keep up with the landscaping. My neighbor sweeps all his garbage and leaves in the street. People walk by and throw garbage in the street like its normal.

Now in the late 80s, I spent my teen years in Elmhurst and they had established Hispanic youth/grafitti gangs which were into the petty violent crimes like assault, robbery, muggings, burglary, car theft and slashings. This is a step up criminally compared to Corona but still down the ladder from a spot like East NY.
Like your post.

One of many reasons I moved out of the area, is the chica houses with the police on the take allowing sex trafficking. Another reason was the over crowding during the building boom. Whatever local politico that were in office at the time, did not care at all about the mass development. 20x100 lots , with 8 apartments, as a replacement for a 2 family home.

there is also the African American history on northern blvd, with a AA library , Baptist church, and many AA hitorical figures calling this area their home.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:13 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
So I grew up in Corona in the 80s-00s, I would break it up like north of Roosevelt, south of the LIRR. (North, middle, South). Back in the day, the PR and Dominicans were mainly north of Roosevelt. Italians were south. I watched as a lot of Chinese bought out the Italians.
Mid -90s was the construction boom and because of the favorable R5 zoning in many areas of Corona, those 40x100 single family homes were built up 2x semi-detached 3 family brick apartments so that means where there was a family of 4 would now house 18-24 legally. My block, 1 block off of Roosevelt saw 3 plots put up double 3 family homes. 2 spare lots turned into 2 3 family homes. 3 homes which were legal 2s, were legally converted to 3 and 4 family homes. This doesn't even include the illegal additions which were put up too. This is why there are so many people here now.

I own one of those 3 fams and they usually have 2 3bd/2bh apts. Its husband/wife (small kid occasionally) per room usually, so yes, it gets crowded but that's how they afford the $2500 rent.

Corona's a busy area where you got more people with lots of time on their hands and that leads to the petty crime like breaking into cars and stealing stuff off your porch. I come by 2x a week and still see it. The drunks sleeping in the street, 7 years kids know when people are smoking marijuana, children and parents who have no respect for other peoples property and also for the fact that many of these homes are rentals. Owners don't care about the property so a lot of the homes are run down and they don't keep up with the landscaping. My neighbor sweeps all his garbage and leaves in the street. People walk by and throw garbage in the street like its normal.

Now in the late 80s, I spent my teen years in Elmhurst and they had established Hispanic youth/grafitti gangs which were into the petty violent crimes like assault, robbery, muggings, burglary, car theft and slashings. This is a step up criminally compared to Corona but still down the ladder from a spot like East NY.

That low life behavior you describe sounds more like Mott Haven to me...I haven't spent a lot of time in Corona, but every time I went there it looked pretty normal to me, same thing with Sunset Park. Granted, it's a big neighborhood so maybe it varies by sectiob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City