Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 PM

224 posts, read 676,002 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the area in the 80's and early 90's. There were many quality of life issues but the area wasn't bad, like Bed-Stuy bad. People were never getting shot in the street. Many residents were upper-middle class. Commerce was booming. But yeah, you'd see hookers at night, druggies here and there. Cars would get stolen. Houses would get robbed. It was mostly property crime.

There were a lot of drugs coming out of Jackson Heights, but it wasn't in your face. The Cali Cartel ran/runs Jackson Heights. Every drug transaction happened behind closed doors. It wasn't like guys were standing on the corner pitching. The Cartel made its money but also kept everything in check by being organized.

To people from the suburbs, yeah, it was a bad area. But to city people, it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Prior to the 70's it was an Irish stronghold. Once the South and Central American's started moving in, the whites automatically assumed the worst. Even though it really wasn't that bad. The fact that the busiest street Roosevelt Ave runs underneath the elevated train tracks, it makes the streets much darker and had a more ominous feel to it, but it wasn't anywhere near the worst neighborhood in Queens which was and is Jamaica.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM

19 posts, read 109,698 times
Queenskid: Actually Roosevelt Ave was run by the Medellin Cartel. Jackson Heights was a haven for black market activities, anything could be bought and sold.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Weren't there lots of areas in Manhattan to stay away from at that time too like what used to be called Alphabet City and now seems to be merely called LES?
Think you got it backward... the lettered avenues used to be simply a part of the LES, whereas today people are more likely to call it the East Village, or the more specific term "Alphabet City." But yes, your point about lots of Manhattan being sketchy in the past is true.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM

93 posts, read 307,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Prior to the 70's it was an Irish stronghold. Once the South and Central American's started moving in, the whites automatically assumed the worst. Even though it really wasn't that bad. The fact that the busiest street Roosevelt Ave runs underneath the elevated train tracks, it makes the streets much darker and had a more ominous feel to it, but it wasn't anywhere near the worst neighborhood in Queens which was and is Jamaica.
I live right above an irish pub on 73rd, and a lot of the regulars grew up in Jackson Heights.

The earlier Starbucks comment is right, we are beginning to show slight signs of the hated G word, but I don't think that will happen for a while.

Great neighborhood. I hope I never have to move

Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,900 times
I lived in Woodside in the 70's straight through the 90's until moving out to California. I witnessed the deteriorated state of Jackson heights with its drugs and prostitution and occasional slayings. It was Colombian controlled and it was ugly. We rented a space in a building for a Church and had to relocate because it was extremely unsafe and drug and prostitution rings were being conducted in the floor right below us. Whenever I walked by Roosevelt avenue on my way to Church there were always men on the street calling out "chicas chicas,, bien barato" Pablo Escobar's heinous crimes had permeated that neighborhood so badly you could smell the fear and terror in the air. No one told me about it. I lived there and I'm glad that animal was finally sent to hell for all the atrocities he committed in the name of love for money and power. I hope his family is also eradicated from this earth because they are a reminder of Pablo and they still are enjoying the illicit gains he obtained by committing atrocities against thousands and affecting millions with his drugs

Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
which nationality lived at 70th street and 25th Ave in the late 70's?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Think you got it backward... the lettered avenues used to be simply a part of the LES, whereas today people are more likely to call it the East Village, or the more specific term "Alphabet City." But yes, your point about lots of Manhattan being sketchy in the past is true.
I think people called it Alphabet City back then as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
I'd be interested in the murder rate of Jackson Heights circa 1980's. Even though it had a high Colombian population in the 1980's, it was never mentioned as one of the very worst neighborhoods. My theory is that cocaine from Colombia, made it's way to Jackson Heights, where middle men, like Dominicans, would go and buy it wholesale. Jackson Heights was a stable community where drugs passed through, but it lacked the clientele of other areas in the city.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,398 times
I lived in JH from 1977-2002 Roosevelt Ave from about 78st -81st. was Bazooko or Papeletas as it was called in spanish. I had alot of ppl close to me that were hooked on that ****. I tried it once and didn't like it. My hangout was 78st. Park and The Palace on 83-84sts. and 34ave. Love and miss them days. Still have alot of ppl who are still in the Heights. The Heights, Elmhurst and Corona hung out all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City