Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 03:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I realize that overall, NYC is an overwhelmingly liberal city, but there are some conservative enclaves here. Do you prefer to live in an area with politically and ideologically like-minded people? Does it even enter your mind when choosing a neighborhood?

I have a friend who is very conservative, and she's very unhappy where she lives because she doesn't feel that she can express her views (people become extremely hostile to her). Her son (who is about 14) has been ridiculed in school after expressing support for Donald Trump.

I started thinking about this reading the Parkchester discussion. In the Bronx many more conservatives can be found in neighborhoods like Woodlawn and Pelham Bay but they are scarce in the rest of the borough. I was wondering if people with extreme right-leaning views would be happy in the majority of the neighborhoods here.
Im center lift libertarian. I can live with both those on the right and the left and can agree with both. However I don't like sjws alt right types. These folks are no good to live around and will try to destroy your lively hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
I used to have a job that I would describe to people as "not horrible" and people would laugh, because they understood it was tolerable but there wasn't much I could say about it that was more positive.

I guess I could have gone on to say my bosses "weren't criminals." This is along the lines of what I would think people are describing if the best they can come up with as a term for their neighbors is "civilized."

Elnrigby, I know you're not a native speaker of English, so perhaps that's the problem here and maybe why you're clinging to the dictionary definition of the word civilized and you don't understand that it can feel insulting.

I think it's kind of like the phrase "with all due respect" which sounds nice, right? The word respect is in there, after all. But it makes you cringe a little and brace yourself for what's next.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Those things are important to me too. Actually I think there has been the odd thread asking about friendliness.
Your welcome, it seems in todays society people consider it offensive to simply say hello, good morning, waving, etc. They'll post their life story on face book (with pictures) but to say hello to a neighbor without a lawyer present.......

Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Maybe it really is some type of subtle nuance in English, if you are all saying so, but I definitely would not be offended if someone told me I was a civilized Eastern European, and I still do not see a good replacement word. "Nice" seems somehow superficial and not very descriptive. Decent, possibly? But to me a decent person and a civilized person seems like the same thing.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Many countries unfortunately still have mostly undeveloped economies, and people from them would have a higher likelihood of being uncivilized (i.e., no formal education). With time these countries will eventually become developed and civilized, but as of now they remain to be sh!+holes.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:09 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Maybe it really is some type of subtle nuance in English, if you are all saying so, but I definitely would not be offended if someone told me I was a civilized Eastern European, and I still do not see a good replacement word. "Nice" seems somehow superficial and not very descriptive. Decent, possibly? But to me a decent person and a civilized person seems like the same thing.
What is the opposite of civilized according to your understanding? Please find a word other than uncivilized.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You tried to imply that areas with more money tend to be more liberal, as if conservatives don't have money and aren't educated. That's what I'm disagreeing with. Staten Island is the RICHEST borough (even richer than Manhattan) going off of the median income. You seem to be implying that conservative people aren't educated (and thus stupid) and are poor because as one earns more money they tend to be more liberal. I don't agree with that.
No, I didn't mean to imply that actually.

In most of the country, upper income people vote conservative and Republican.

New York City is unusual in that even upper income people tend to be Democrats/liberal here. Staten Island is an exception in NYC.

When did I ever say that conservative people aren't educated or are stupid or are poor?

(In addition, by the way, one can be uneducated and NOT stupid; plenty of people without an education are smart. Education and smarts are not the same).

Old 01-15-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Decent is a little bit better.
Still may be offensive to some, but better than "civilized" in my opinion.

Civilized implies that you are noting that people don't walk around with a Flintstone's-style bat to kill wild animals for their dinner and live in caves...

Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many countries unfortunately still have mostly undeveloped economies, and people from them would have a higher likelihood of being uncivilized (i.e., no formal education). With time these countries will eventually become developed and civilized, but as of now they remain to be sh!+holes.
This post is a joke, right?

Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I'm particularly sensitive to the word ghetto. I've heard it used as a replacement of n****r. BTW none of what I'm talking about is in the context of joking around. Whether you think it's valid or not--I don't care. I'm explaining why I feel the way I do.

I don't want to debate my neighborhood, but it's a great place to live. If you are scared coming here then you need to grow some b*lls.
I don't blame you for being sensitive. It's a rude word!

I think some white people are terrified to step into a neighborhood that is not all white (I don't know much about your neighborhood and if that's the case there).

I agree, they need to grow up, get used to living in NYC and move beyond their own neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City