Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 PM

108 posts, read 81,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I realize that overall, NYC is an overwhelmingly liberal city, but there are some conservative enclaves here. Do you prefer to live in an area with politically and ideologically like-minded people? Does it even enter your mind when choosing a neighborhood?

I have a friend who is very conservative, and she's very unhappy where she lives because she doesn't feel that she can express her views (people become extremely hostile to her). Her son (who is about 14) has been ridiculed in school after expressing support for Donald Trump.

I started thinking about this reading the Parkchester discussion. In the Bronx many more conservatives can be found in neighborhoods like Woodlawn and Pelham Bay but they are scarce in the rest of the borough. I was wondering if people with extreme right-leaning views would be happy in the majority of the neighborhoods here.

The fact that the son takes right after his parents just shows how horrible political brain washing is, the kid should able to determine which political party he wants to associate himself with once he has done all of the right research all by himself, and not because his mom tells him such and such is bad because I said so.

A political affiliation should be something that an individual should have a free choice in based off where he/she aligns with the party and if it is politically beneficial to he/she, and not be shaped/forced into based off the choice of the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
OK but are conservatives the environmentalists too now?
Yes. They do not see the need for all these intercontinental trade agreements that force deals and massive amounts of unnecessary shipping that adds tremendously to environmental concerns.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:53 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Why would one consider political leanings when choosing a neighborhood within NYC? Most people choose according to price, schools (if they have children), convenience to public transportation & other amenities.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:33 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Why would one consider political leanings when choosing a neighborhood within NYC? Most people choose according to price, schools (if they have children), convenience to public transportation & other amenities.
Absolutely. That is how I chose. But there is also the issue of what is the risk of crime In the neighborhood, and that issue triggered all the politics on the housing forum. Knowing my opinions, you can also guess that I totally support the right to carry a gun for self defense, but I personally couldn't use it on another human being, so am interested in other measures that would keep my chosen retirement community (Parkchester, the Bronx) free of crime.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yes. They do not see the need for all these intercontinental trade agreements that force deals and massive amounts of unnecessary shipping that adds tremendously to environmental concerns.
The Republican Congress voted for both NAFTA and the WTO.

This Republican Congress will not take action against trade deals.

The US has always engaged in overseas trade. Many products and foods we use are from warmer nations such as citrus fruits, bananas, papayas, sugar, coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate, etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:46 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPenguin View Post
The fact that the son takes right after his parents just shows how horrible political brain washing is, the kid should able to determine which political party he wants to associate himself with once he has done all of the right research all by himself, and not because his mom tells him such and such is bad because I said so.

A political affiliation should be something that an individual should have a free choice in based off where he/she aligns with the party and if it is politically beneficial to he/she, and not be shaped/forced into based off the choice of the parents.
I can't imagine that she is forcing her son into thinking or saying anything, but he's picked up her (and her husband's) ideology and beliefs. I think that they often have Fox on in the house too. I feel that most kids tend to pick up and follow the ideology of their parents, but maybe that's not correct.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Ha ha very funny.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Republican Congress voted for both NAFTA and the WTO.

This Republican Congress will not take action against trade deals.

The US has always engaged in overseas trade. Many products and foods we use are from warmer nations such as citrus fruits, bananas, papayas, sugar, coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate, etc.
And your point is?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I'll try to explain a little more how I came to feel how I do. For some conservatives not being pc is a point of pride. I mentioned that my kids attended school in a different and more conservative neighborhood from where we live. Sometimes my daughter invited a friend over our house and I heard back "I'm not allowed because you live in the ghetto". This wasn't an isolated response and it was straight from the parents. It's just one example. I spent a lot of time with parents, and while no one looked me in the eye and said something like that to my face, there were a lot of little cuts - little remarks that I associate with a more closed-minded attitude than I want to live around. And maybe I shouldn't associate these things with political affiliation but I think there is a correlation.

Then for me, the election of DT compounded everything. I find him so offensive on so many levels. Even if only 50 percent of the neighborhood voted for Trump, that's like half the neighborhood supports or tolerates something that I find intolerable. I don't want to live around that.

Elnrgby is another case. I think your ideology is extremely important to you, and it stresses "civility" right? But you get a lot of feedback indicating that for a lot of people, being referred to as a "civilized" minority or poor person is offensive. But to make a simple change like that in your speech would be so pc--everyone else should adjust "their" reactions to suit you. And again, this is just one simple f*** word. I don't think that word is the whole issue --- like you change that word and the neighborhood is suddenly a great fit for you. I do think that ideology is part of the problem though.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
I have to say that if the way you handle opposing views (at least here on the forum) was more common, your question wouldn’t even be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City