Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are you referring to French cuisine?
I was, assuming that's what the OP seemed to be asking about...those old bastions of "haute cuisine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
My opinion: Le Bernardin and Daniel in that order.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I'm surprised so few people have heard of haute cuisine.

(I mean, I am not one to eat it, much less afford it, but it is a pretty well know classification of food, or so I thought.)

At any rate, while NYC may not be known for haute cuisine as much as it is for its breadth of cuisine, simply by virtue of its concentration of wealth and cosmopolitanism, NYC is home to some of the world's most well regarded chefs heading some of the world's top haute cuisine restaurants.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:00 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times
If you're still calling it "haute cuisine," you're probably not going to be able to afford it...but Daniel is probably the closest, in terms of being both highly sophisticated as well as old-fashioned in service style.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
Classic? Le Bernardin, even though it is not as "fine" as it once was. Eleven Madison Park serves really stunning food and Atera is probably the most avant garde. Daniel is up there and I'm sure that the new Robuchon place with be very haute. Most of the big name chefs are taking a breather right now and waiting for real estate prices to come back to earth.
Daniel... Please... He's just running off of his name. The actually quality of the food varies these days, and more often than not is becoming unworthy of the prices. I'd personally go to Per Se.

Daniel has several places. I've done a few of his "casual places" and I go to Épicerie Boulud over by Lincoln Center for snacks and drinks before heading to a play or a movie, and the quality always varies, which is annoying considering the prices. They need to hire people that know about the cuisine. I mean if I can't even get a good cup of espresso, there's a problem. Even their macarons are a joke. Now I know I'll get heat for saying this, but the macarons at Bouchon Bakery inside of the Time Warner building are divine. I always get about $20.00 worth of them (roughly 5 large ones) before heading to that Indie place (Lincoln Plaza Cinema) and I sit there watching an Indie movie and having some of those babies.

I can't disagree about Le Bernardin though. Éric Ripert unlike Daniel Boulud doesn't overdo things. I think Daniel needs to stop opening up so many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
NYC is not known for “haute” cuisine.
Those places DO exist, just not on Staten Island. lol

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 02-07-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 08:24 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
The old "haute cuisine" is where the waiter brings a cart (called a "gueridon") to your table and does the final finishing of the meal preparation on that cart. They still practice that technique at La Grenouille and a few other restaurants.

The new haute cuisine is really a lot of hooey.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The old "haute cuisine" is where the waiter brings a cart (called a "gueridon") to your table and does the final finishing of the meal preparation on that cart. They still practice that technique at La Grenouille and a few other restaurants.

The new haute cuisine is really a lot of hooey.
Actually, it’s usually quite a small portion of tasty hooey

Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
200 dollar for a dollap. you don't LIKE that?! GET BACK IN LINE YOU DON'T DESERVE to live IN NYC! <-- that is how I view dining in NYC. I've lived in the city proper for almost 20 years now but can count on ONE hand the times I've eaten out at a restaurant. F'y'all, it's nasty as a system and i'd rather eat 20 cent a pack ramen than deal with the cornball culture of nyc "haute cuisine" i'm still laughing at that

Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I am a big eater and I lost interest in fine dining when "haute cuisine" became "nouvelle cuisine." I need my food to be ample not precious. A serving should be more than a pretty tablespoon of food with a rose petal atop.
I don't like leaving a restaurant still hungry.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am a big eater and I lost interest in fine dining when "haute cuisine" became "nouvelle cuisine." I need my food to be ample not precious. A serving should be more than a pretty tablespoon of food with a rose petal atop.
I don't like leaving a restaurant still hungry.
And CHEAP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: