Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You know so little. This is far from the truth. Remove South Asian in it's entirety, and all Hispanics aside from Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.
That's not true.

The South Bronx has Mexicans, Hondurans, and Ecuadorians living around blacks.
Bushwick has Mexicans and Ecuadorians living around blacks.
Flatbush has Mexicans and Pakistanis living around blacks.
Parkchester has Bengalis living around blacks.
Jamaica has all kinds of Hispanics and South Asians living around blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 12,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The issue is that he was mentally ill. Everyone in the neighborhood knew that he was odd but never violent. The police need better training on how to deal with/de-escalate mentally ill individuals.
The police have been trained to de-escalate mentally ill individuals who threaten the general public with firearms. Seems like they followed that textbook to the letter.

I'd like see you explain a training regiment on how to tell if a presumed firearm isn't actually a firearm in the timeframe it takes a bullet to discharge and reach the trainee.

Or maybe, the folks in charge of caring for the departed need better training on how to keep their mentally ill loved ones out of harm's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Everyone in the neighborhood knew that he was odd but never violent.
Would you rather read that quote on his tombstone, or yours?

Old 04-07-2018, 01:31 PM

18 posts, read 12,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If someone was pretend pulling a gun on people, would there not be some gunfire? That should have been a sign.
There was gunfire. And here we are.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree. There have been many incidents where police shot unarmed black men and the police behavior was criminal, but this case seems really different to me.
A man threatening people with a gun, and the police arrive and there's a man brandishing what looks like a gun and standing in shooting posture...who's to say that a mentally ill man with a violent criminal history isn't going to snap one day and start terrorizing the neighborhood with a gun in his hands?
Exactly. I have to be on the side of the police on this one.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not true.

The South Bronx has Mexicans, Hondurans, and Ecuadorians living around blacks.
Bushwick has Mexicans and Ecuadorians living around blacks.
Flatbush has Mexicans and Pakistanis living around blacks.
Parkchester has Bengalis living around blacks.
Jamaica has all kinds of Hispanics and South Asians living around blacks.
Are all millennial suburbanites this dense? These post-Kennedy immigrants we're not moving into African American and Puerto Rican neighborhoods during the pre-gentrification era. Not until there were signs of revitalization did these newer immigrants start moving in. They are no different than the post-Kennedy immigrants other than the timing in which they arrived. The neighborhoods that were forced ghettos by liberal politicians were prior immigrant neighborhoods prior, and the next neighborhood over were immigrant neighborhoods of the same descent, just of a slightly higher socio-economic bracket. These slightly better neighborhoods never became ghettos. Bushwick has Ridgewood (German and Sicilian), Cypress Hills has Woodhaven (German and Irish), ENY has Ozone Park (Italian), Bed-Stuy has Crown Heights (Jewish), etc... Flatbush wasn't a ghetto. The South Bronx was probably Irish. Jamaica probably Jewish and Italian. I've only heard of Parkchester fairly recently, but don't believe it was a ghetto either. You need to stop constantly playing to race. We are all the same. New Yorkers. I understand you are from Ohio, so you wouldn't understand.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:35 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
How the hell did Dillon Roof not get 8 bullets but this guy did? Can you guys answer that?

Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
How the hell did Dillon Roof not get 8 bullets but this guy did? Can you guys answer that?
I'm sure you know there are different circumstances around every arrest. Dylan Roof was not in a street waving a gun or look alike gun at multiple passersby in a city environment when he was arrested. He was pulled over in a car and came out with his hands up. He was frisked and taken into custody.

I know you think you were making a clever comparison to further your point, but your example doesn't hold up in this case.

Also these things should be examined in a case by case basis and not just throw comparisons out simply because one perp was white and the other black.

Dylann Roof's arrest on police dash cam | abc7news.com

Old 04-08-2018, 03:02 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm sure you know there are different circumstances around every arrest. Dylan Roof was not in a street waving a gun or look alike gun at multiple passersby in a city environment when he was arrested. He was pulled over in a car and came out with his hands up. He was frisked and taken into custody.

I know you think you were making a clever comparison to further your point, but your example doesn't hold up in this case.

Also these things should be examined in a case by case basis and not just throw comparisons out simply because one perp was white and the other black.

Dylann Roof's arrest on police dash cam | abc7news.com
Right..... Different Circumstances......

Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
This was a justified shooting. The family is blaming the wrong people here. Unfortunate set of circumstances for sure though.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You wouldn't understand, your not from around here, and didn't grow up around here during the pre-gentrification era.
Don't bother explaining to him

I've tried numerous times

That's why you get all these random questions about NYC from him.

Nowadays I just give him short, to-the-point answers and thats it

Eventually he will move to NYC when he saves up enough $ and then he will have more questions

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City