Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
They also coat the towels with something, thus making the absorbtion of water, less absorbant.
Now this I know to be true. I learned the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
So after almost 2 months of kitchen and bathroom vents being covered with a dryer sheet I will say makes no difference. The smoke comes from my neighbor below me. I'm not really sure what to do from getting it to travel upwards. I live in a smoke free building and management knows but like the noise they do nothing. A bunch of punk asses that sit in desk all the time afraid to enforce anything. IF I ever meet a Bubba, I'm sending him to their office.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM

375 posts, read 323,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So after almost 2 months of kitchen and bathroom vents being covered with a dryer sheet I will say makes no difference. The smoke comes from my neighbor below me. I'm not really sure what to do from getting it to travel upwards. I live in a smoke free building and management knows but like the noise they do nothing. A bunch of punk asses that sit in desk all the time afraid to enforce anything. IF I ever meet a Bubba, I'm sending him to their office.
That sucks! Sorry to hear.

I have the same situation except when I come home, my apartment smells like fried rice/chicken! You can tell the distinct aroma of cooked/burnt oil and its quite annoying! I usually open all my windows and light some incense/candles to clear the air.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
but I'm still wondering if anyone has recommendations what to seal/cover the vent with.

If you can get the fixture out, not likely if overpainted, then take it out and wrap it in Saran Wrap and reinstall.'If you cannot get it out, then just tape paper over the vent opening.

I have a strong suction so I use an 8.5 x 11 sleet of paper with the first couple inches wrapped around a strong little magnet that is held in place with staples around it. Magnet sticks to the metal frame at the top and the suction holds it tight. If no suction, then this will not work well and you will need to tape something over the vent on all 4 sides.

Often Kitchen suction is strongest and it actually pulls air in through the smaller bathroom vent. Last apartment I would get the smell of old cooking oil.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM

132 posts, read 252,928 times
Quote:
I know this has been talked about in other threads randomly but no actually thread is made on the topic.
What is the best way, to cover the vents so I stop getting my neighbors weed smoke in my apartment?
Try Magnetic Vent Covers. available at all hardware stores. come in 15" sheets you can cut to size. They stick to your vent like a magnet would on your refrigerator.They are not expensive ($6-7 bucks for a pack of 3). I use them to counteract my neighbor's weed and cigarette smoke. This is not a 100% solution (I can still smell smoke sometimes) but it helps. BTW, my bathroom does not have a window but I don't have mold because I leave the bathroom door open and the room gets air from the rest of my apartment.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If you can get the fixture out, not likely if overpainted, then take it out and wrap it in Saran Wrap and reinstall.'If you cannot get it out, then just tape paper over the vent opening.

I have a strong suction so I use an 8.5 x 11 sleet of paper with the first couple inches wrapped around a strong little magnet that is held in place with staples around it. Magnet sticks to the metal frame at the top and the suction holds it tight. If no suction, then this will not work well and you will need to tape something over the vent on all 4 sides.

Often Kitchen suction is strongest and it actually pulls air in through the smaller bathroom vent. Last apartment I would get the smell of old cooking oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxgirl6 View Post
Try Magnetic Vent Covers. available at all hardware stores. come in 15" sheets you can cut to size. They stick to your vent like a magnet would on your refrigerator.They are not expensive ($6-7 bucks for a pack of 3). I use them to counteract my neighbor's weed and cigarette smoke. This is not a 100% solution (I can still smell smoke sometimes) but it helps. BTW, my bathroom does not have a window but I don't have mold because I leave the bathroom door open and the room gets air from the rest of my apartment.
Thanks but its coming from the Apartment UNDER me so like I said the vents in the kitchen and bathroom have no effect. Cover them the way I did works however if the smoke is coming in another way it does nothing for the cause.
I'm gonna buy an oil diffuser

Old 07-05-2018, 02:22 PM

31,895 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Unless hermetically sealed all apartments, homes, buildings, structures, etc... have some exchange of air from both outside and within; that is just how things are built. You want an "air tight" home or apartment then you'll have to seek out such a thing and or go about making yours fit that description.

You can seal every air vent in your apartment but fumes, smoke, air, etc... will still come from even the smallest holes, cracks or whatever including around doors and windows. It is part of how ventilation works.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Unless hermetically sealed all apartments, homes, buildings, structures, etc... have some exchange of air from both outside and within; that is just how things are built. You want an "air tight" home or apartment then you'll have to seek out such a thing and or go about making yours fit that description.

You can seal every air vent in your apartment but fumes, smoke, air, etc... will still come from even the smallest holes, cracks or whatever including around doors and windows. It is part of how ventilation works.
Well the reason I moved to this building has it was a smoke free/pet free apartment building so yes I did expect smoke not coming into my apartment.
I smoke, Im not hating on those who do but not inside. So when you choose to move to a building that advertises it as a SMOKE FREE building its reasonable for me not to be happy when smoke/weed get in my apartment.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:55 PM

31,895 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Well the reason I moved to this building has it was a smoke free/pet free apartment building so yes I did expect smoke not coming into my apartment.
I smoke, Im not hating on those who do but not inside. So when you choose to move to a building that advertises it as a SMOKE FREE building its reasonable for me not to be happy when smoke/weed get in my apartment.

IIRC it was suggested previously what you've got to do then; begin formal notification to your LL that the building is violating warranty of habitability clause of lease, and unless matter is corrected you will take legal action.

Short of this don't see any other remedy. Obviously your neighbors don't give a rat's behind about you or your complaints. So unless or until someone in authority puts the squeeze on them conditions on ground will not likely change.

Of course there is always as Madea says, but if the gotters get you go and get your Glock, but then you'd be exchanging your (smoke filled) apartment for a cell at Riker's. OTOH however they *DO* enforce smoking rules out there, so that is something anyway.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
let me guess... based on the no window in the bathroom situation, you live in a postwar building? vents are shared by a line which means that weed smell is likely your downstairs neighbor. Not sure if you've stated that already or not.

if it continues to bother you, your best bet is to move if possible, but of course ideally your landlord can make your neighbors stop. another option: buy them better tools to smoke their weed with so it doesn't stink. you certainly shouldn't have to in order for them to stop but it might be easier. you decide if that investment is worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: