Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thanks but its coming from the Apartment UNDER me so like I said the vents in the kitchen and bathroom have no effect. Cover them the way I did works however if the smoke is coming in another way it does nothing for the cause.
I'm gonna buy an oil diffuser

If, as in my case, the smells and smoke are infiltrating through nooks and crannies OTHER than the vents, the best you can do us two-pronged. First, seal every hole you can find: caulk around all pipes, seal electrical outlets that are not in use, seal around your doors (V-seals are good), etc. Then, seal your suction vents because that suction is what can pull in air from holes you have missed. When all this hard work is done, open one window 1/2 inch. IF air is blowing in, it indicates you have missed something because air is escaping somewhere. If that is the case, ALWAYS leave this window cracked slightly open so that the direction of smells is always in the window and OUT through all your connections with neighbors.

My place is sealed super tight, but still some air will blow into the apartment, so I missed SOMETHING. But with the place sealed as tightly as I can and one window open 1/2 inch, I get no smells. If I close that window, I start to smell the fragrance of an old ashtray. The woman next door to me, 3 years dead, smoked like a chimney and her memory lingers on. The couple who moved in fear for their baby's health because the kid's bedroom "smells like an old saloon."

I think it is that stench that gets sucked into my living room under the drywall.

Your goal is an aerodynamic one: you need to make sure your apartment is at a very slightly higher pressure than your neighbors, never lower. It can get complicated, but it can get done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If, as in my case, the smells and smoke are infiltrating through nooks and crannies OTHER than the vents, the best you can do us two-pronged. First, seal every hole you can find: caulk around all pipes, seal electrical outlets that are not in use, seal around your doors (V-seals are good), etc. Then, seal your suction vents because that suction is what can pull in air from holes you have missed. When all this hard work is done, open one window 1/2 inch. IF air is blowing in, it indicates you have missed something because air is escaping somewhere. If that is the case, ALWAYS leave this window cracked slightly open so that the direction of smells is always in the window and OUT through all your connections with neighbors.

My place is sealed super tight, but still some air will blow into the apartment, so I missed SOMETHING. But with the place sealed as tightly as I can and one window open 1/2 inch, I get no smells. If I close that window, I start to smell the fragrance of an old ashtray. The woman next door to me, 3 years dead, smoked like a chimney and her memory lingers on. The couple who moved in fear for their baby's health because the kid's bedroom "smells like an old saloon."

I think it is that stench that gets sucked into my living room under the drywall.

Your goal is an aerodynamic one: you need to make sure your apartment is at a very slightly higher pressure than your neighbors, never lower. It can get complicated, but it can get done.
Thanks KK! Can I hire you for the job?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 AM

You can handle it, lsnyc.
Just do it little by little. There's no hurry.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:07 PM

69 posts, read 78,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thanks I looked it up, may not be bad to get but I'm still wondering if anyone has recommendations what to seal/cover the vent with.

Since when do people follow the rules. For example...Drinking before your 21 is against the rules but how many of us drank before then.

You need to tell a lot of people that on this thread. I posted a question similar to yours and people was crying like crazy about the “rules”

Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
You need to tell a lot of people that on this thread. I posted a question similar to yours and people was crying like crazy about the “rules”
Thats because I'm not breaking rules like you. I'm having to deal with the consequences of rule breakers like you. I'm having to deal with covering this due to people that are smoking in the smoke free building. I am not one of them. I go outside, like my *ss is suppose to! Ungrateful, disrespectful people.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 AM

First approximation: Cut a piece of paper to fit the vent and tape it on. Five minutes work on a stepstool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: