Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:56 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,364,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I first of all want to state any American has the right to live anywhere in America.

With that said, there's a reason why the current influx of newcomers was in many ways destructive.

If older people or families had moved to NYC in greater numbers, they would have wanted their own apartments and more for their money.

Landlords were able to rent out apartments and individual rooms to young out of towners at RIDICULOUS prices. These young people often don't stay in the city for long (for a few years at the most) and yet they displaced families or individuals who made NYC their home.

I am all for neighborhood improvements, better stores moving into neighborhoods, amenities, etc.

That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for basically idiot kids to participate in the displacement of people.

A big part of the problem is many people come here to study, and as NYC colleges EXPANDED, they directly and indirectly displaced whole neighborhoods. Especially Columbia and NYU. Then there's NYC's reputation as the ultimate post college or post high schools experience, I think that was popularized by tv shows like Sex and the City and movies like Coyote Ugly.

Now the neighborhoods that were popular among out of town post college kids 10 years ago are neighborhoods most of them can't get into (Williamsburg, Hells Kitchen, etc) and now this crowd has to go to Bedstuy, Bushwick, Harlem, etc.

I think the city should have done a better job at marketing to OLDER people from other states.
Aren't you one of them living in inheritance money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,335,891 times
A lot of transplants are good people. Haters are just gonna hate.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,609,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
The problem with the transplants is that theyre largely standoffish , entitled and boring! I really do not connect with the transplants...even if I wanted to I wouldn’t be happy faking a friendship with them.
My issue with them is that they change the culture of the city.

Also, they tend to be non-ethnic white, so they're not terribly interesting!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:42 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,609,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most the kids who come here do not stay. While it's true people have ALWAYS come to NYC to start careers, the large volumes of people coming to NYC to party for a few years and leave is comparatively new. The weakening of the rent stabilization laws by Republican administrations, plus the wholesale marketing of the city to that demographic permanently changed things.

Depending on the new construction and the neighborhood, a lot of the new buildings are condos and are for investors.

Whole neighborhoods have a giant DORM feel, and that's certainly NOT a good environment.
I think it's a fun environment for them, but not for the rest of us.

I remember I lived in Somerville, MA in the 90s, and it was kind of like a 20-something dorm in areas, and it was fun for us

Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,618,992 times
I don't see any reason NYC should appeal to older transplants. The average aptitude American pushing retirement age is better off expanding the nest egg in a low COL city/state. NYC (IMHO) is best for four kinds of people:

1) The young and reckless
2) The highly skilled career monguls
3) The money rich Asians seeking a bolt hole
4) The urban specific career folks

Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,514,912 times
Lot’s of transplants in L.A too. Lot’s of illegal immigration too which keeps demand up and prices high . Rent control keeps market rents high . Rent control benefits those that have lived in the area a long time even if they make a lot of money .

Not sure what can be done about it. Ban people from moving there ?

A lot of people moving out of CA and NY to lower cost places .

It’s immigrants keeping the population up .

“New York over the past year continued to lose more residents to other states than it gained — even as the overall population grew slightly thanks to a continued influx of immigrants, Census data shows.”

New York is No. 1 in losing residents who move to other states, study shows - NY Daily News

Old 06-02-2018, 10:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,514,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I don't see any reason NYC should appeal to older transplants. The average aptitude American pushing retirement age is better off expanding the nest egg in a low COL city/state. NYC (IMHO) is best for four kinds of people:

1) The young and reckless
2) The highly skilled career monguls
3) The money rich Asians seeking a bolt hole
4) The urban specific career folks
I’ve heard of people talk about people that have cheap rent control rent in NYC .. but then they own a place in say Florida . Wonder how many landlords in NYC are subsidizing their tenants vacation homes .

Property near the beach in Florida is a fraction of the cost of L.A because it doesn’t have the economy of L.A and appeals more to retired people .

There are also a ton of 55+ buildings that are even cheaper than the regular places .

It’s no wonder South Florida is filled with retired people with East Coast accents .

Old 06-02-2018, 11:38 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,364,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Lol

What's the culture of the city? Is it Borough Park or Midwood? Maybe the Satmar parts of Williamsburgh?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 06-02-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times
People who can't afford NYC's housing costs would be much better off moving somewhere else, and not trying to either hit the lottery (literally) and get an artificially affordable apartment, or struggle to afford market rate.

There are places in the country (really most places) where a one bedroom apartment is $500-750. They should go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What I find unusual is how expensive it is to live in the "least desirable neighborhoods" now. The cheapest 1 bedrooms are 1300-1400 now, and just a few years ago I saw many places available for far less than that. Sure you can blame high rents in Bushwick and Bed Stuy on white gentrifiers or whatever, but what about places like Wakefield and Williamsbridge?

It's weird to me that many people on this forum think $2000 for an apartment is cheap, when that is very expensive for US standards, and that's not affordable for the vast majority of New Yorkers. Yes there are a lot of high paying jobs in NYC, but the average HOUSEHOLD income is only 60k or so. So those good jobs aren't exactly growing on trees.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,512,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Every ethnic group changes the culture, Kensington for instance was a much different neighborhood when my mom grew up there.

What does ethnic white even mean? I don't find US born Irish, Italian, or secular Ashkenazi Jews to be very ethnic in 2018.

And considering we got a lot of transplants from New England and Florida, a lot of the transplants are "ethnic white" anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City