Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM

264 posts, read 239,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My thing is this. The City, the State, and the Federal government need to look down deep in the crucible and see which black group and Hispanic groups suffer the worse in academic achievement and academic attainment. Just recently Cornell University black alum and school groups protested against allowing black Caribbean, Black African and Black Latinos being allowed in the school. Foreign blacks and the students who are of not Black American descent out number those of black American descent in the school. An Afro Guyanese girl got accepted to all major Ivy League plus additional elite schools outside the Ivy League. A Nigerian American boy got accepted to all Ivy League schools. I know of a Dominican boy who got accepted to an Ivy League school back when I was in high school. He was the only person from our class that got accepted to go to an Ivy League. A couple of others got accepted to elite colleges outside the Ivy League, while everyone else got accepted to CUNY and SUNY, or went straight to the military to fight the Taliban.

The city should identify which blacks have a serious problem in this city. Obviously it is the black American. Yes Jamaicans, and Dominicans have their issues with drugs, but generally these people go off to college, and are also home owners. The African also ambitious bunch and are very insular people. If it was me, on every test in this country, if you are a black American and a Native American, you will get an automatic 10 points. Not that its fair, but they were historic victims that plagues them to this day. Yes I don't put blame on white supremacy, white privilege, or male patriarchy on everything and anything, and yes I'm a descendant of white men through paternal linage. And I too also apologize for their wrong doing if anything! Even my black friends told me my thinking is similar to that of white men, especially for someone who grew up in the hood. But with that said, just give Black Americans, and Native Americans free points on all exams nationwide. If these free points don't help improve economic inequality, improves gaps in different directions, and eliminates the education gap, than I'm a loss at how to help those who are historic victims.

As for me? I'm not a victim. I was born here, my family is not from here. Jumped from place to place, country to country looking for resources. And will bail when SHTF!
Your statements are half truths:

It is extremely rare for anyone to gain admission to all ivy league schools, because the ivy league is extremely selective. Heck, it's extremely rare to get accepted to even ONE ivy. There are however instances of Black Americans, whose parents are not from the Caribbean, or Africa gaining acceptance.

Exhibit A: Mekhi Johnson: Baltimore student accepted to all 8 Ivy League schools

Exhibit B: Michael Brown: https://thegrio.com/2018/03/31/black...o-all-of-them/

Also, merely identifying students as needing assistance due to being Black American is ridiculous, because there are a number of Black American students who excel. On another note, it is often hard to separate Black Americans from Black Caribbeans, due to all of the intermarriages between the two groups. Both of my parents are Black American; however, my aunts and uncles run the gamete. My uncles and aunts married Caribbean Americans from Barbados, Trinidad, St. Marten, Jamaica, Bahamas and Bermuda. As such, my cousins are mostly half Black American and half Caribbean. Additionally, I have several nieces and nephews who are half German and currently living in Germany and other parts of Europe.

When we have gatherings, it's a truly unique experience due to all of the various cultures coming together.

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 06-08-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I think "foreign" blacks are more successful because they have the immigrant mentality. They come to america and work hard and chase the american dream just like any other immigrant group.

I think generations of liberal entitlement dependency has taken away any incentive for some domestic african americans to rise above their situation. Note the emphasis on some, before you start calling me racist. I think its more of a social issue, and liberal social policies have failed certain groups making them perpetually dependent on entitlements.
I agree, but most immigrants are more successful than the average white American, as well. It's unfortunate that people tend to ignore the huge number of impoverished whites, who are not excelling on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlG5Dpcacs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPr5gYiuKlM

Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
I agree, but most immigrants are more successful than the average white American, as well. It's unfortunate that people tend to ignore the huge number of impoverished whites, who are not excelling on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlG5Dpcacs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPr5gYiuKlM
I don't think that's true

Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM

This is the unfortunate reality of the White working poor, who reside in rural America (and are more often than not ignored by the mainstream media). The primary depiction of white Americans that's shown is not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqceHviNBC4

But this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLisEEwYZvw

Outside of major cities in America, the "Friends" lifestyle doesn't even exist in large numbers.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Look at the data.

The median household income in the United States is $56,516, according to 2015 data from the U.S. Census. But that rises and falls depending on how close you are to peak earning age, which is typically around age 49 for men and 40 for women.

Quote:
Most Americans will spend at least one year below the poverty line at some point between ages 25 and 75.[3] Poverty rates are persistently higher in rural and inner city parts of the country as compared to suburban areas.

Estimates of the number of Americans living in poverty are nuanced. One organization estimated that in 2015, 13.5% (43.1 million) of Americans lived in poverty. Yet other scholars underscore the number of Americans living in "near-poverty," putting the number at around 100 million, equating to a third of the U.S. population. Starting in the 1930s, relative poverty rates have consistently exceeded those of other wealthy nations.

In 2009 the number of people who were in poverty was approaching 1960s levels that led to the national War on Poverty. In 2011 extreme poverty in the United States, meaning households living on less than $2 per day before government benefits, was double 1996 levels at 1.5 million households, including 2.8 million children.

Sources: Savage, Sarah. "Child Poverty High in Rural America" (PDF). Retrieved August 26, 2008, Child Poverty High in Rural America Newswise, Retrieved on August 26, 2008).

Old 06-08-2018, 08:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
Academically, at least, it is true depending on which groups you are talking about. South American (not central), Sub-Saharan African, Middle Eastern, European/Canadian, and South/East Asian immigrants have measurably higher academic achievement than the average American. There's a PEW study in 207 showing that. However, when you throw all groups into the mix, the college bachelors degree percentage is about the same in immigrants & Americans, although the rate of not finishing high school is higher in the immigrant group.

Poor whites are largely ignored in mainstream debates. At least they were until they collectively helped get Trump elected.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
There is a reason why the average white americans feels affirmative action and racial quotas are a form of discrimination towards them. The same reason why black americans feel Ivy League avoids their responsibility towards black americans in favor of black immigrants.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There is a reason why the average white americans feels affirmative action and racial quotas are a form of discrimination towards them. The same reason why black americans feel Ivy League avoids their responsibility towards black americans in favor of black immigrants.

There's also reasons very well-qualified non-Asian minorities get multiple offers from Ivy leagues, which is a rare occurrence for equally well-qualified (academically at least) Asian or whites. Two, perhaps three yes. 7? No way ever.

Those Ivys are fighting tooth and nail to get their non-Asian diversity levels up. While the students in the examples above certainly should be getting into an Ivy based on their hard work and achievements, they really only get multiple offers because the race is, in fact, considered in admissions. Its taken as an explicit or surrogate marker of disadvantaged background. That's how the admissions offers work. So - their brilliant results would have gotten them into a couple, of Ivies - but 7 or 8 offers involves something else. The general public doesn't understand how Ivy admissions work nowadays. There are many kids getting excellent or perfect academic scores, that alone is not enough. You need some other distinction.

There are whites and Asians with equal academic scores, but to get so many offers is extremely rare, (outside something exceptional like winning or runner up in a national science competition, having started one's own charity etc etc).

Make no mistake - those kids in the examples above deserve to go to an Ivy (or better like MIT!) - they are obviously academically brilliant - but they got so many Ivy offers for basically one reason. They are diversity gold for the admissions figures.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
Quote:
Go to Kentucky.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I don't believe the ivy league ignores Black Americans. If anything, I think Black Americans (who have the ability to apply) are actually favored in the admission's process.

At the end of the day, the Ivy League represents exclusivity. Students who are hungry and passionate about their education and excelling will often be more successful than those who are not. It has everything to do with one's drive and motivation.

Mellody Hobson is Black American. She attended Princeton in the late 80s. She went on to become the President of Aerial Investments under the founder/CEO and Board chairman, John W. Rogers (who is also a black American Princeton graduate). https://www.arielinvestments.com/ Ariel is the largest minority-owned investment firm.

Mellody Hobson has been president of the company since May 2000. The company has over $10 billion under management. She also served as Dreamworks Chairwoman, until it was sold to Comcast.

Mellody is married to multi-billionaire George Lucas.

The following video sheds some light on Mellody's life. While watching the video, I was primarily impressed by her motivation to succeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jLel-UVrk

People often highlight Black dysfunction, but rarely discuss the many successes of Black America. Whereas, most highlight White America's successes, but rarely discuss White dysfunction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City