Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

This guy's mouth is going to get his behind in trouble or whipped.

"City schools Chancellor Richard Carranza had a message Tuesday for activists who oppose an overhaul of the city’s specialized public high schools where Asians are a majority: You don’t own those classrooms."

Chancellor Carranza to parents at Asian-dominated schools opposing desegregation plan: You don't own these classrooms - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
I wonder why he was chosen, it doesn't sound like he has ever even lived in NYC until recently. Anyway, he sounds like a douche

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 709,156 times
Yea he seems insistent on the "us versus them" narrative. This is the second instance now. Divisive for sure so far. I'm guessing he sees himself as the noble knight defending the "us" against the evil, privileged "them". More Robin the Hood Carranza than King Richard Carranza. Perhaps he should change his first name.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Asian and Latino kids go to the same middle schools much of the time, couldn't his plan just lead to the same outcome more or less?

It might only benefit Latino and black kids from areas without many Asians, which are really just Eastern Brooklyn and Southeast Queens (mostly black) and uptown Manhattan/The Bronx (mostly Latino with many blacks as well)

Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
I have to say I think this plan is ridiculous. Mr. Carranza and Mayor de Blasio are pitting minorities against minorities. I also didn't appreciate Mr. Carranza's little innuendo about how this is helping black kids. There's always this need to put "black" first and associate it with the worst of the worst. Many Latino children perform just as bad if not worse, so it really should be "brown and black", not "black and brown".

Old 06-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have to say I think this plan is ridiculous. Mr. Carranza and Mayor de Blasio are pitting minorities against minorities. I also didn't appreciate Mr. Carranza's little innuendo about how this is helping black kids. There's always this need to put "black" first and associate it with the worst of the worst. Many Latino children perform just as bad if not worse, so it really should be "brown and black", not "black and brown".
Doesn't have the same ring to it. And NYC for a long time had a larger black population than Hispanic population.

And although neither group is well represented at these schools, there are less black students than Latino students

Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM

766 posts, read 508,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree!!

They are doing this purposely. Dragging black people in this when most likely this will benefit more Latino kids giving their population is growing more rapidly in the city.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wonder why he was chosen, it doesn't sound like he has ever even lived in NYC until recently. Anyway, he sounds like a douche
Top level government positions like this are not filled by candidates based on where they are from. It's based on expertise in their relevant field, and in this case this guy was hired for his expertise in education. Both education and public schools exist out of NY!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Doesn't have the same ring to it. And NYC for a long time had a larger black population than Hispanic population.

And although neither group is well represented at these schools, there are less black students than Latino students
That's not the point. My point is Latino students actually perform worse overall academically than black students, yet Mr. Carranza during his interview yesterday on Good Day New York made a specific point to focus on "African-American children" as if their situation was the worse when this is supposedly about black AND Latino children. The other thing that he tried to duck was the question about wouldn't it make more sense to better prepare black and brown students?

His answer was that schools are already doing that. That's a cop out. It's pretty well known that black and Hispanic children don't have access to the same resources to help them academically. For example, when a black or Hispanic student is struggling in class, their parents may not be able to afford a tutor, whereas Asian parents will find a way to make it happen, even if they are poor. I've come under attack for saying this but black and Hispanic parents overall don't value education in the same manner as Asians do, and that's just what it is. Before you go complaining about how South Americans are such high achievers academically, I'm aware of that, but the media doesn't break down the different Latino groups. They lump them all together, justified or not.

If Mr. Carranza and de Blasio want to be so "blunt" about diversity, they should be blunt in why there are such gaps in achievement between these three groups and be blunt in fixing it, not just by changing the standards. When you start trying to "de-segregate" schools rather than focusing on a merit based system, that's no good for anyone because then it's as if black and Latino students are getting in because of their background and some quota rather than their skill set and ability to perform.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM

766 posts, read 508,208 times
Quote:

Black People are leaving the city in droves, to Atlanta, North Carolina, Florida and Texas.

The only minority population that’s growing is the Asian and Latino population

This chanceller is pitting minorities against each other for a few spots just like most businesses do as well to fill their diversity needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City