Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well trust me, SJW types usually do not miss a beat when it comes to lumping in both black and Latino together on these issues, even when it is not appropriate to do so.

I agree that's it the extreme emphasis on education that East Asian cultures have. And I don't think black or Latino kids need to be just like Asians, white kids don't go to the extremes that Asian kids do either. As long as you pay attention, take notes, do your homework, seek help when needed, etc., you can do well in school.

I am aware the media doesn't break down Latino groups, and they don't break down black groups either. One thing I notice is that liberals never seem to report anything positive about higher performing groups amongst blacks or Latinos, it goes against the narrative that they need communism to save them. Conservatives don't either of course, but they're not known for caring about either group so that's expected.
Yeah that's something else that to me is VERY racist and it perpetuates this stereotype that black people can only do this and Latinos can only do that, while the sky is the limit for whites and Asians. Liberals especially feel as if they need to compensate for black and Latino people constantly, and I find it annoying, as if they're incapable of excelling at anything. Oh those black and brown kids need a hand to get them through school, and they need affirmative action to get them a job too. Those poor groups. Now I'm not saying that there isn't discrimination because there is, but when you make everything about race when in some cases it isn't, it's a very insulting thing to do and it still creates this environment of those people can't do this or that. Then when they do, they're given the eye as if to say oh you can excel at this or that? These policies serve to lump certain groups of people into boxes despite their claim of otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM

290 posts, read 370,312 times
This idiot should be fired immediately. It’s sad that crazy psychopathic racist liberals like Mr. Carranza exist in this country.

Last edited by ATLForr; 06-06-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well he is right, and they don't.

Nor do they own the NYC government. So they will deal with whatever the city decides to do.
How come you never say the same when Black people are complaining?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:33 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well here's the thing... He doesn't like the screening process, but there's always going to be a screening process of some sort, even under the changes he and de Blasio are trying to make, so his comments are rather hypocritical. What he's really trying to say is that he doesn't like the results of the current screening process because it doesn't yield a diverse population base.
Yep. Whomp! There it is...in a nutshell.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How come you never say the same when Black people are complaining?
You know why... What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM

766 posts, read 508,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
The woman in the below video is Black American (with two brown skin Black parents):
Most Black Americans do have some European ancestry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qof7-6im8KE&t=1936s

Whereas the woman in the below video is from DR, but would more than likely be mistaken for an American Black woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhFATYqxrnU
I grew up around Hispanics even the obvious ones with black ancestry still viewed themselves as Latino first. That’s their identity, their culture. They relate more to the indigenous or white looking Latinos than they do the African Americans population. They are not necessarily allies because of the color of their skin. They have deep rooted self hate of dark skin in their country, look how they treated the Haitians. Latin America

Point is they are their own group for a reason. They want it that way.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:05 AM

264 posts, read 239,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I grew up around Hispanics even the obvious ones with black ancestry still viewed themselves as Latino first. That’s their identity, their culture.
I am not denying that your statement is true. I'm merely pointing out that there's no specific "Dominican" look. There is of course the "idealized" and promoted DR look, which is fair skin, wavy hair and European features, but if you visit DR, you'd see there are a number of women who don't fit the promoted mixed race or European look.
Quote:
They relate more to the indigenous or white looking Latinos than they do the African Americans population. They are not necessarily allies because of the color of their skin. They have deep rooted self hate of dark skin in their country, look how they treated the Haitians. Latin America

Point is they are their own group for a reason. They want it that way.
Clearly, Dominicans have their own culture. Again, I know they don't collectively view themselves as Black, but I'm merely pointing out that this doesn't change the fact that there are a number of Dominicans who are dark in color with African features.

Anyhow, I understand how it feels to be labeled something that you are not. I own property in Aruba and when I'm there, people often think I'm Aruban. They usually approach me, either speaking Spanish or Papiamento (which is a mixture of Dutch, English, Spanish, Portuguese and several African dialects). Even when I tell them that I'm American, they still ask if my parents are from Aruba.

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 06-06-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,688,600 times
The elephant in the room is that there is plenty of diversity among Asians already in the top high schools. There are Koreans, Chinese (themselves divided into ethnic groups like Han and Hoklo, etc.), Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bengalis, Laotians, etc. But the reality is that the powers that be don't think Asians are the right kind of diverse. To them diversity is code for "black and Hispanic kids."

The other elephant in the room is that black and Hispanic parents simply are just not involved on a large scale with their children's education like Asian and white parents are. And it doesn't have to do with income either--Asians are poorer than both blacks and Hispanics here in NYC, yet somehow they find a way. Maybe it's because Asian cultures emphasize doing better, being better, and being serious about school?

We can't fix this problem until we have a tough conversation. It's an inconvenient truth that black and Hispanic parents are less likely to raise children who perform well in school. Whether it's due to systematic oppression (part of it is) or due to culture (part of it is), it's simply a fact. Plucking these kids up from their current schools and plopping them down into specialized high schools to satisfy some arbitrary "darkie" quota is not going to help. It's insulting, actually.

These children need to be helped where it counts: black and Hispanic fathers need to stop being thrown in jail, black and Hispanic families need to stay together as two parent households both involved in raising kids, and black and Hispanic parents need to start getting serious about parenting their children.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,720,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Asian Americans are a tiny minority, and yes they are not the majority of voters. And in a democracy, the majority rules. And the majority of New Yorkers of any race, including Asians do not have their kids at these "elite" public schools.
Black Americans are a tiny minority, and yes they are not the majority of voters. And in a democracy, the majority rules. And the majority in this country decided that excluding blacks from higher education is ok.

Newsflash for you and all other racists: you cannot institute discriminatory tests or requirements in order to boost certain people based on the color of their skin.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
The elephant in the room is that there is plenty of diversity among Asians already in the top high schools. There are Koreans, Chinese (themselves divided into ethnic groups like Han and Hoklo, etc.), Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bengalis, Laotians, etc. But the reality is that the powers that be don't think Asians are the right kind of diverse. To them diversity is code for "black and Hispanic kids."

The other elephant in the room is that black and Hispanic parents simply are just not involved on a large scale with their children's education like Asian and white parents are. And it doesn't have to do with income either--Asians are poorer than both blacks and Hispanics here in NYC, yet somehow they find a way. Maybe it's because Asian cultures emphasize doing better, being better, and being serious about school?

We can't fix this problem until we have a tough conversation. It's an inconvenient truth that black and Hispanic parents are less likely to raise children who perform well in school. Whether it's due to systematic oppression (part of it is) or due to culture (part of it is), it's simply a fact. Plucking these kids up from their current schools and plopping them down into specialized high schools to satisfy some arbitrary "darkie" quota is not going to help. It's insulting, actually.

These children need to be helped where it counts: black and Hispanic fathers need to stop being thrown in jail, black and Hispanic families need to stay together as two parent households both involved in raising kids, and black and Hispanic parents need to start getting serious about parenting their children.
The funny thing is that these schools actually are super diverse. True, both blacks and Latinos, and possibly even whites are underrepresented, but still very diverse nevertheless.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but you need to be more careful when making broad generalizations about ethnic groups you're not a part of not caring. There may be truth to it, but there are large exceptions too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City