Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Really? Last night I was tempted to finish off a box, then I broke out those meatballs. When I'm starving, I'll have a few bowls before I put on dinner. I really hope this weather breaks though because I bought a lot of food from Whole Foods and none of it has been touched. I hate throwing away food too.
Buying food in this weather is definitely challenging .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,622 times
Quote:
Really? Last night I was tempted to finish off a box, then I broke out those meatballs. When I'm starving, I'll have a few bowls before I put on dinner. I really hope this weather breaks though because I bought a lot of food from Whole Foods and none of it has been touched. I hate throwing away food too.
Yep, don't feel like I'm missing anything. I will have to stop going to Pret though. While I eat chocolate chip cookies (only fresh baked) they aren't my favorite BUT the ones at Pret I love. I get a salad everyday and justify the cookie because of it. I started working out at 5:00am a few times a week and because of this, I'm ready for lunch at 11 which means, they are nice and warm, to avoid this, I will need another strategy.
Saying no doesn't work. I write this as I sit here eating my warm chocolate cookie, I'm in heaven

Old 08-08-2018, 10:32 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
What I do is Saturday or Sunday during the summer months, I'll do the major shopping EARLY, this way by the time it's 10:00 or 11:00 I'm making my way back home if I'm not there already. Along the way I'll make pit stops to CVS if they have a sale on things like Evian or I get some sort of Extra Rewards dollars or discounts, and then I do Vitacost for the staples... Organic pasta, condiments and that stuff. I have it delivered to the office and just take some of it home at a time. Mid week I'll stop off again to Whole Foods and pick up a few odds and ends. My girlfriend wastes so much food and it irritates me, but she likes going to Fairway, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods a few times a month, then she buys ALL of this damn food and half it is thrown away unopened!! She's like I'm not going shopping in this weather like that. She also likes to cook large batches. The problem is she makes too much and then after it sits in the fridge for a few days she goes oh that's old. I'm not eating that. With my set up, my fridge is bare by the weekend, so there's nothing to throw out.

I wipe out the fridge if need be a day or two beforehand.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Best to go early but not early enough where they haven’t stocked up yet.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What I do is Saturday or Sunday during the summer months, I'll do the major shopping EARLY, this way by the time it's 10:00 or 11:00 I'm making my way back home if I'm not there already. Along the way I'll make pit stops to CVS if they have a sale on things like Evian or I get some sort of Extra Rewards dollars or discounts, and then I do Vitacost for the staples... Organic pasta, condiments and that stuff. I have it delivered to the office and just take some of it home at a time. Mid week I'll stop off again to Whole Foods and pick up a few odds and ends. My girlfriend wastes so much food and it irritates me, but she likes going to Fairway, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods a few times a month, then she buys ALL of this damn food and half it is thrown away unopened!! She's like I'm not going shopping in this weather like that. She also likes to cook large batches. The problem is she makes too much and then after it sits in the fridge for a few days she goes oh that's old. I'm not eating that. With my set up, my fridge is bare by the weekend, so there's nothing to throw out.

I wipe out the fridge if need be a day or two beforehand.
I can't lie - she sounds like me.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I can't lie - she sounds like me.
Yeah. The thing is you can't buy that stuff in bulk like that. Organic veggies last maybe a week tops before it's time to throw it away and in this heat, some of the stuff goes even faster.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah. The thing is you can't buy that stuff in bulk like that. Organic veggies last maybe a week tops before it's time to throw it away and in this heat, some of the stuff goes even faster.
Work in progress.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Don't throw away those rotting veggies

That makes good compost

Give it to somebody who gardens or something
Wishful thinking, but everyone I know lives in an apartment building, and those who don't have houses in other states. To me the thing that stinks the most in this hot weather is organic arugula. When it goes, I go straight to the garbage room with it, and immediately clean out the container it comes in and let it dry for recycling, otherwise it can smell up the kitchen before you know it. It's amazing though... The summertime is a real challenge in general to keep things clean and dry. With the humidity being what it is, I find myself constantly cleaning.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Best to go early but not early enough where they haven’t stocked up yet.
Quote:
What I do is Saturday or Sunday during the summer months, I'll do the major shopping EARLY, this way by the time it's 10:00 or 11:00 I'm making my way back home if I'm not there already.
Right. I was talking more about WHAT to cook not when to go to the store. Salads, anything and everything cold that I don’t need to use the stove or oven for. Getting to go is happening a lot at the moment. 4 more weeks?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Right. I was talking more about WHAT to cook not when to go to the store. Salads, anything and everything cold that I don’t need to use the stove or oven for. Getting to go is happening a lot at the moment. 4 more weeks?
Ahhh yes... That's a challenge too... I dunno I normally keep organic arugula in the fridge for salads, but sometimes I buy one from Whole Foods and barely use it, so I didn't want to waste money on that. I think it's pizza tonight from WF for sure. They do these slices for $4.50. One slice with a nice dessert afterwards does the trick. A CVS I go to has Häagen-Dazs ice cream 2 for $8.00, so that is definitely a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City