Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 06:03 PM

874 posts, read 454,173 times

Advertisements

“Police Administrative Aide”

What’s that entail?

Is Commissioner Shea or Police Chief Harrison looking for a Secretary NOW (in 2020)…?

Put me down !

Here’s my application…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM

80 posts, read 199,160 times
To quote the aphorism of the Brooklyn Dodger Leo Durocher: "Nice guys do finish last"

But I've never figured out why ... till now.

PS: I also believe that the aforementioned statement is also applicable to women as well.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post

“Police Administrative Aide”

What’s that entail?

Is Commissioner Shea or Police Chief Harrison looking for a Secretary NOW (in 2020)…?

Put me down !

Here’s my application…
I would NOT even bother to apply; for me it would be a TOTAL waste of my time.

Last edited by mannyp1227; 03-02-2020 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 06:57 PM

874 posts, read 454,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp1227 View Post
"I would NOT even bother to apply; for me it would be a TOTAL waste of my time."

If you're looking for a job/career, exactly or (as close to it) what “would” you like to do to earn a living?
...is it in that field-- Police Administrative Aide?

give it a try. Then … if it isn’t for you I bet there’s a bulletin board with new upcoming
jobs or upcoming exams for jobs. try another area in Police work then…..

I mean, if a dog () can get a job, hold a job, carry a badge, work in the military, be referred to
as “The Police,” and draw a paycheck (they do get paid right?) …

is there a: Pay to the order of: “Bandit?”

If a doggy can work as a Police Officer, or be in the Military (Conan) and help take down what’s-his face,
al big daddy, you can do it too.

they got a whole bunch of cold case files languishing on the books – you can help track
down the murderer who’s still ‘out there’ running loose when they shouldn’t be

….help find the person responsible, giving some closure to families……..
you’ll be kept busy tracking down the killer, or serial killer, kidnapper, child predator/murderer….

There’s a whole gaggle of ‘em out there…

Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 PM

28 posts, read 48,826 times
Quote:
If I had a scintilla of a clue as to why ... this whole process has taken THIS long...

I know of people who attain federal level jobs and do not go this brand of mental torture.

I get the same scripted answers every time I inquire about the status of my investigation "It is STILL under investigation".

I will not be providing any range as to my list number; but I will say that it was enough to get me called into the December 2019 hiring pool.

This is why for the longest time I had no desire to even want to bother seeking any sort of employment (public nor private); for it feels like I have to walk thru hell and back bare footed and STILL have to jump thru many hoops thereafter.

THIS WHOLE PROCESS has been supremely and gravely demoralizing and heavily depressing.

For ALL who see this post and are thinking about applying at anytime in the future...

BE FOREWARNED: You will be hyper depressed and very very demoralized.

PS: It is not my previous jobs that are taking "forever"; it is the investigator.

Well this is the deal with any civil service job. You'll be waiting a long time to hear something back. Keep in mind you may not be the only under investigation under that investigator. I went to three hiring pools before I got hired in November. Keep on top of things and have all of your documents ready to go when your investigator asks for them.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 10,968 times
Quote:
Good day one and all,

This is to serve as an update into my situation as it relates to the BI for the PAA position.

It has been 1 and a half months since I was cleared pending job verification and I am STILL waiting from PD in regards to whether or not my jobs were verified.

I called up BOTH of my prior jobs and between both, the most it would have taken would be 1 to 2 WEEKS.

Am I dreaming or is there an injustice going on with my case in regards to 2 pieces of mail to get to PD in reference to my past employment getting verified.

Any advice given in relation to this would be which appreciated.

PS: My investigator was changed without any sort of notice; for I called and had to learn of that change.

PPS: This hyper demoralizing to any persons who just want to get a job and achieve something that is emblematic of progression.
It sounds like something came up in their investigation and they just pushed your application to the side. Theres a 3 in 1 rule where as long as they give you a chance to turn your papers in, they can skip you on the list. I am not sure 100% that they used this rule on you but its a possibility. Furthermore, they just hired a class in February so there is no need for further investigations to be taking place unless theres a new class in the horizon.

Having your investigator push your application to someone else without getting notified isn't a good sign either. If i was you, I would try to meet or get in contact with the detective in charge of your application.

There is also a new PPA exam coming out (4/1/2020-4/21/2020) so the list must be exhausted.

You should check with dcas or nypd if they skipped your list because if they did not, you can still be called for the next class in a year; assuming you still want this job.

Good luck and I hope this helped little bit.

I am also part of the November class. This job is nothing but a stepping stone for most.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:56 PM

FINAL POST: I have decided that I no longer want to be employed by an organization that does not want me within their ranks.

I was able to do in one week what the entire NYPD Investigative team could not do in 2 months -- obatin my employment verification records.

I have decided to withdraw my application from this and ANY future consideration for ANY civil service position (federal, state, and local).

I do thank you all and will have an vast appreciation for all who have shared their advice.

I wish you all the best in what endeavors you wish to pursue.

-- Manny

Old 06-22-2021, 09:34 AM

10 posts, read 7,416 times
Default How long is training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraObserver View Post
Congratulations to you guys! The first day at 1PP we did paperwork all day. The very next day we had to be at the academy. First couple of weeks we had presentations, introductions, and you guessed it, more paperwork (it really is a lot of paperwork). The following weeks you have your academic classes and typing. You guys can message me privately for a little more detail.
Hi. I applied for june 2021. I wanted to ask How long did they take to contact you after you applied for the exam? How long is the training? What did you do on the training days? Are you still working? What is your hours, Do you like job??? Thank you

Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM

41 posts, read 83,456 times
Hi Destiny,

Congrats on applying. I can only tell you my experience pre-covid, not sure how things are going now. I originally applied in December of 2017 and was official hired end of 2019. Training at the Police Academy took about 2 months. During training you will learn about taking complaints from the general public, who is who / chain of command (officer, detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant and so on) what purpose/role they serve along with other NYPD related information. We also had basic English class and a typing class - you need to be able to type 35wpm. After graduating you may be sent back to the for additional training for Roll Call or Payroll.

Remember NYPD is a 24hour 7 days a week operation ( learn military time) you can have 1 of the 3 shifts Midnights (12am to 7am) day tour (8am to 4pm) 4bys/afternoon shift (5pm to 11pm). If you do get an afternoon or midnight you get night differential which means extra $$. Depending where you end up the start/end time can change. Also, you are not going to be guaranteed weekends off. It will all depend on where you end up.

I am currently working the day tour. I am happy with my decision to take the exam and accept the job.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2022, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 524 times
Hey everyone I recently received a email for a hiring pool I just wanted to know if anyone knew of how the process went ? Thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City