Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 06:55 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many of us have and it is getting effing annoying.

Am going to reach out to ConEd one more time and tell them to knock it off with those GD shaming notices. I don't give a rat's behind what my neighbors electricity usage is compared to mine.
lol! You don't hold back when properly annoyed. Can't say I blame you. The thing is I get an e-mail notice AND paper notice just for good measure. Pshaw..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Yes, and some of us would rather buy a Co-op or an apartment where electricity is included in the maintenance fee than live in the projects or shell out to ConEd.
And when the funds fall short because utility usage exceeds the anticipated amount don't complain because your monthly maintenance goes up to cover the short fall and build a reserve for the coming months. Just like having you mortgage adjusted because escrow funds fall short due to a tax/insurance increase...

Old 07-28-2018, 07:04 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol! You don't hold back when properly annoyed. Can't say I blame you. The thing is I get an e-mail notice AND paper notice just for good measure. Pshaw..!

Gave ConEd a throw away Yahoo email addy which don't check that often. At time it was required in order to set up paying online via their website.

Have gone over to using my bank's free bill pay so haven't used ConEd's website in years. To my surprise tried to log into the account a few months ago and was told had to register *again* due to changes. Fair enough but ConEd has joined everyone else in asking/demanding a mobile telephone number to complete that process. Eff that!

Am not going to have ConEd blowing up my phone with their GD useless emails or whatever other communications they deem necessary.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Well the whole thing is totally stupid. OTOH ConEd and everyone else pesters you to go with paper free billing; then they turn around and start this fresh hell.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 PM

Hasn't been *that* hot past few days and humidity levels are more reasonable, so AC is off. Using two large commercial fans with windows open keeps things comfortable.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Hasn't been *that* hot past few days and humidity levels are more reasonable, so AC is off. Using two large commercial fans with windows open keeps things comfortable.
Well, you're a better man than me because my AC is on full blast just as we speak. It's hot in my apt!
And opening the windows just brings in a lot of street noise. And my fan is busted.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Well, you're a better man than me because my AC is on full blast just as we speak. It's hot in my apt!
And opening the windows just brings in a lot of street noise. And my fan is busted.

While it technically is "illegal" or whatever, walking around my building people have their doors cracked for cross ventilation. Am sure it is going on elsewhere as well.

At home on SI at may parents and other family homes people rarely needed AC unless things got really unbearable. Just put a few big fans in windows and let cross ventilation do its thing. Keeping the "screen door" closed but solid wood or whatever door behind it open also helps.

That was one of first things couldn't get used to about Manhattan apartment living; lack of cross ventilation.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:

You can pick up a cheap fan at Rite Aid, DR, CVS or other such places. *LOL*

However if you want something built to last and will really move air; seek out older American made fans or some early Asian (Panasonic) from say before 1990's or so.

Have a couple of older Honeywell commercial fans and even on low am here to tell you they move air.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
That was one of first things couldn't get used to about Manhattan apartment living; lack of cross ventilation.
Yeah. What cross ventilation?! The best I can do is open my living room window and then my bathroom window straight across, down the hallway and to the left. If I stuck a fan midway, maybe that would work but like I said my fan is busted. I'm thinking of getting a Vornado.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vornado...?skuId=3254646

I'm done with cheap fans that just break at the most inopportune time.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You can pick up a cheap fan at Rite Aid, DR, CVS or other such places. *LOL*

However if you want something built to last and will really move air; seek out older American made fans or some early Asian (Panasonic) from say before 1990's or so.

Have a couple of older Honeywell commercial fans and even on low am here to tell you they move air.
That's what I did. Bought a cheap tower fan at Target. Pshaw...!

And good luck trying to find anything that's not made in China.

I'll check out Honeywell commercial fans.

Thx for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: