Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:50 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times

Advertisements

Hindsight is 20/20 but not really in this circumstance.

You had FOUR children, the youngest which was 4 years ago. Did you really think in 2014 that you would be earning a combined salary to comfortably fit FOUR children into NYC? Are you earning at least $1.5M combined between you and your husband? You want to live in a sleek large luxury Manhattan condo enough to fit FOUR kids right?

I just don't understand the thinking (or lack thereof) here. Please I am begging you. Break it down for me, because as an only child I just can't comprehend it. See this story time and time again and it just boggles my mind.

OK I just read that you're a soccer mom. Is your Husband a literally a CFO? Even CFO's sometimes only make $250k. If you are anything under $1M forget about anything outside of Westchester or Connecticut. I think it's incredibly risky for him to accept a job here. At his salary level unless he has connections you're looking at a 2-4 year tenure. C-suite is highly volatile position with a limited lifespan.

Ugh I just can't take it. I guess when you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth you don't have to think about reality. But believe me it's gonna hit you hard and I don't know if you'll be able to handle it. This is not gonna end well when the next downturn comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
You should consider New Jersey, Staten Island and Long Island. Westchester.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:07 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 but not really in this circumstance.

You had FOUR children, the youngest which was 4 years ago. Did you really think in 2014 that you would be earning a combined salary to comfortably fit FOUR children into NYC? Are you earning at least $1.5M combined between you and your husband? You want to live in a sleek large luxury Manhattan condo enough to fit FOUR kids right?

I just don't understand the thinking (or lack thereof) here. Please I am begging you. Break it down for me, because as an only child I just can't comprehend it. See this story time and time again and it just boggles my mind.

OK I just read that you're a soccer mom. Is your Husband a literally a CFO? Even CFO's sometimes only make $250k. If you are anything under $1M forget about anything outside of Westchester or Connecticut. I think it's incredibly risky for him to accept a job here. At his salary level unless he has connections you're looking at a 2-4 year tenure. C-suite is highly volatile position with a limited lifespan.

Ugh I just can't take it. I guess when you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth you don't have to think about reality. But believe me it's gonna hit you hard and I don't know if you'll be able to handle it. This is not gonna end well when the next downturn comes.

Well that didn't take long.....

OP came here seeking advice, not several paragraphs of your well reasoned abuse.

Go have a cup of coffee, take your meds or something. It's too early for anyone to be spewing all that bile.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
No way is park slope to the financial district 40 mins. A spot near the F train is 15-20 mins MAX from there. You also won’t get anything in park slope but a 2 bedroom condo for a million. A dated home such as a townhouse or brownstone is in the 1.5 million at minimum.

Also keep in mind, the out state trains frequently have issues, what’s his back up plan options? You only leave yourself one way to get home and go work. Atleast in the city worse comes to worse there are multiple train lines/Lyft/Uber/taxi/buses etc

Jersey isn’t bad however jersey city for example you’ll still be paying 1.5 st minimum for enough space and in a good area. Jersey city has some not so nice areas.

You really only have one way of looking at this, either pay more for accessibility or get more for your money. Gotta decide what’s more important. Everything is priced accordingly for both scenarios. Budget comes first
Good concise post

I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well that didn't take long.....

OP came here seeking advice, not several paragraphs of your well reasoned abuse.

Go have a cup of coffee, take your meds or something. It's too early for anyone to be spewing all that bile.
Bwahahahahaha

Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
No way is park slope to the financial district 40 mins. A spot near the F train is 15-20 mins MAX from there. You also won’t get anything in park slope but a 2 bedroom condo for a million. A dated home such as a townhouse or brownstone is in the 1.5 million at minimum.

Also keep in mind, the out state trains frequently have issues, what’s his back up plan options? You only leave yourself one way to get home and go work. Atleast in the city worse comes to worse there are multiple train lines/Lyft/Uber/taxi/buses etc

Jersey isn’t bad however jersey city for example you’ll still be paying 1.5 st minimum for enough space and in a good area. Jersey city has some not so nice areas.

You really only have one way of looking at this, either pay more for accessibility or get more for your money. Gotta decide what’s more important. Everything is priced accordingly for both scenarios. Budget comes first
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Outside of weather and some other unpredictable delays Metro-North runs a far better and tighter ship than NYCTA/subways.

Yes, there are the odd times when a derailment, accident and or inclement weather cause delays or suspension of service. But those are far and few between compared to the near daily chaos that is the subway system.

This is the MN Twitter feed for past 24 hours: https://twitter.com/metronorth?lang=en

Subways: https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Don't know about your company/office, but when bad weather is predicted large numbers of our people from LI or Conn elect to work from home and don't come in at all. If the weather arrives later in day people start clearing out early.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:19 AM

116 posts, read 78,144 times
I have one child but live with my entire family (6 people in total) in a 3 bedroom. It works fine.

Look uptown in Washington Heights. It’s getting pricier but those apartments are usually a lot bigger for the money. A large 3 bedroom would work.

Personally I couldn’t stand to live in Connecticut lol. It’s far out and boring. The city is full of amazing things to do with kids.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
I have one child but live with my entire family (6 people in total) in a 3 bedroom. It works fine.

Look uptown in Washington Heights. It’s getting pricier but those apartments are usually a lot bigger for the money. A large 3 bedroom would work.

Personally I couldn’t stand to live in Connecticut lol. It’s far out and boring. The city is full of amazing things to do with kids.
Good recomendation!

I gave Reps.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
...what makes you stay instead of moving to Westchester or Connecticut?

I ask because my husband just accepted a job in the Financial District and we're trying to figure out where to live. We have four kids (11, 8, 6, and 4) and are coming from the Northern Virginia suburbs. We love NYC and I have always wanted to live there. I have fantasized about city-living for years, even with our family. I have a small-space living board on Pinterest where I daydream about simplifying and downsizing and letting the city be our yard.

BUT...now that we actually have this opportunity and I'm thinking through the logistics of daily life, I'm not so sure. Maybe my fantasy was just that? A fantasy. When I started looking in Connecticut, everything made more sense.

The problem is my husband's commute. We've pretty much accepted that with his job, we will always face this tension between short commute/small living space vs. long commute/comfortable living space. We've been doing the long commute thing for several years now and we've gotten fairly used to it (it helps that he works from home a couple days a week, which he'll be able to do in NYC as well). But I know it's hard on him and a shorter commute would be life changing. I'm just trying to figure out if that can work for the rest of us.

Basically, I know all the arguments for staying in the suburbs and maintaining my soccer mom/minivan life (not least of which is that my kids are used to it). But for those larger families that live in the city, what makes you stay? Do you ever think about leaving?
So the husband have to support 4 kids and a wife on only his income? That's Affordable housing lottery jackpot if I ever saw one!!

If you think living in CT and giving your husband a 90 minute plus commute to and from work every day is not that bad then you really don't know. Speaking from experience.....most of these people that have that long commutes eventually end up having a girlfriend in the city while wife is at home busy with the kids. Is even worse when there is a nanny or maid taking care of the kids and house and wife basically does nothing all day. Husband will eventually finds his way out to a local bar where a sugar baby will pick him out like fresh meat.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,303 times
Everyone is so ****ing rude here! Damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City