Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Chelsea and West Village. My friend that I wrote about from Wisconsin lived with her 4 children in an apartment in Chelsea. You'd also have the high line. A popular playground with young children is Madison Square Park in the flat iron district. All of the museums have special children's events and programs. And don't forget the small (but perfect for young ones) Central Park Zoo.

I assure you many of the affluent young transplant families in Manhattan home school, at least until high school age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:27 PM

116 posts, read 76,871 times
UWS will be the most tolerant. I’ve lived in Chelsea. It’s overpriced and bland and the people are less friendly than uptown. The UWS is tons of families, right off the park, and lovely. IF you go just slightly north into the morningside heights area, or around Columbia, you can get just a little more space for the money as well without sacrificing a lot on commute time. Otherwise the area around 96th Street is the most family friendly and conveniently close to whole foods and trader joe’s and the American museum of natural history, with the met right across the park only ten blocks down and the children’s museum of manhattan in the 80s right below you.

TriBeCa has a lot of families but is more expensive and less green space than the UWS.

Try the Facebook group “UWS Mommas”. There’s real estate listings all the time for larger apartments with good deals, and you can ask around about the area and lifestyle and about leads on apartments.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:56 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
UWS would be my first choice too. But there are really a lot of families now living in Chelsea surrounded by all of those public schools. There's a bakery on 6th Ave. that has cooking classes for kids and the library on 6th Ave. has a wonderful children's librarian with a killer story time. UWS has more green.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 PM

26 posts, read 15,606 times
UWS is incredibly family friendly and a lovely neighborhood. You’ll need a 3 bedroom which is pricey but also easier to find there than other areas in the city.

I work on the Tribeca/Fidi border and if I could I would move to Jersey City in a heartbeat. You get more space for less money and that is a fantastic commute for your husband (if you live near the PATH it’s 20 minutes or less). Not sure what the Jersey hang up is, but I’ve never understood people’s hangups about that sort of thing. Growing up in Brooklyn, people used to make fun of that borough before it was “cool” and now it’s the hot spot. Now I live in Staten Island which people like to crap on too, so my guess is in 10 years it’ll be the hot area (and I won’t be able to afford it anymore haha). Anyway I’d give Jersey a chance if you don’t like the UWS. But you will because the UWS is gorgeous.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:43 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I work in Battery Park City, and I imagine it would be a great place to live if you can afford it. The neighborhood is filled with families. I know you homeschool, but if you change your mind about that, the Public schools in BPC are very highly rated. Your husband could walk to work. You could get by without a car, or just do Zipcar for trips out of the city.

A downside of the neighborhood is that it's pretty far from the subway, but there is a free bus that transverses the downtown area, and I see lots of kids on it with their parents or caregivers. There is an esplanade right next to the Hudson, and many BPC apartments have river views.

Here are some rentals:

http://https://streeteasy.com/for-re...rk-city/beds:3

Here's a recent article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/r...-landfill.html

Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-25-2018 at 03:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 AM

766 posts, read 507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
The F train doesn’t even stop in the Financial District. Whatever subway line they take, I think 40 minutes door-to-door is actually a pretty fair estimate assuming a short walk on both ends of the commute.
The f train jump across to the A/C at Jay St. to chambers st/wall st/Fulton st in 20 mins

Door to door is different. people are saying Merton north is an hour and 30. We all know that’s not door to door depending where they live in CT, he would most likely have to drive to a station as well. Same as the F if they live a block always that’s a 3 min walk, 10 blocks it’s obviously a longer commute

Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 AM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
The f train jump across to the A/C at Jay St. to chambers st/wall st/Fulton st in 20 mins

Door to door is different. people are saying Merton north is an hour and 30. We all know that’s not door to door depending where they live in CT, he would most likely have to drive to a station as well. Same as the F if they live a block always that’s a 3 min walk, 10 blocks it’s obviously a longer commute
OP never indicated her estimates were subway travel time only. You chose to interpret it that way. Door-to-door, the numbers were in the right ballpark.

And the CT commute time of 1.5 hours is a fair door-to-door estimate as well, again assuming relatively short travel time from home to the train. The Metro North ride itself is about an hour from Stamford, Greenwich, etc.

These are all ballpark numbers anyway. I think the OP understands the general idea of comparing a commute from the suburbs vs. from an outer borough and the tradeoffs involved.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
20 minutes Forest Hills to "the thick of things?"

For that you will need a helicopter.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Perhaps OP is independently wealthy herself with a sizeable trust. Perhaps her husband is a surgeon. Perhaps her husband is a partner in a law firm. You are making assumptions and being rude. She asked for help in finding a place to live, not judgments on information we don’t even have.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You are so naive it's not even funny. You may think I'm mean and condescending but I'm just preparing you for reality.

It is gonna hit hard like a titanium rod and it's going to hurt. Especially when your husband gets edged out of his job. Unless of course again as I mentioned before - you have $1M in savings???

If not, then don't come. Period. You are out of your mind if you think you can hack it here with 3+ kids, a husband who is not independently wealthy and reliant on corporate employment with no income from you

Wake up!!! You are living in a dream world. This isn't Virginia.
You are and reported it as such.

Obviously no one ever sat you down to explain if you can't say anything nice or otherwise make a positive contribution....

OP has done nothing to deserve your abuse, and this makes the second infraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City