Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:35 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I am a real New Yorker, and I never accost celebrities. If one of my favorites happens to make eye contact with me, I would smile and give a thumbs up. But that's all.

Some of these posters advocating going up to this or that famous person would be extremely butt hurt if they found out just what an AH some truly can be.

Yes, some are nice about chance encounters on street, in Central Park or whatever. But still others act like "who are you and why are you talking to me"? Or worse, "get lost you effing loser".

Case in point years ago was walking past side entrance to Carlyle Hotel when doors swung open and bunch of security suits blocked sidewalk. Out came Tom Selleck who strolled over to a waiting car.

Now this was around 7PM or so, and thus there wasn't that much traffic on sidewalk, and there certainly wasn't any need for all that nonsense. Meanwhile saw the late Elaine Stritch also come out of the Carlyle get into a waiting car or go off about her business without fanfare.

This is why you don't speak to such persons. You don't know them personally or socially from Adam (or Eve), thus the only reason for invading their privacy is the implied familiarity that comes fame. Some famous persons don't appreciate that implication and will let you know in no uncertain terms and or otherwise give the brush off treatment. You are then left standing there looking like an egit and feeling like a POS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 06:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Like anything else, people who are around it a lot get used to it.

Truthfully, people walking around Manhattan aren't even really paying any attention to the people around them. it's not that they don't care, it's that they probably don't even notice in the first place. On an especially busy block, there might be close to 100 people in your range of vision at any given time, if you're not scanning faces specifically looking for one, you're just not going to notice.
Exactly, it might not even register with most people until it's too late, if at all. I am familiar with Keanu Reeves, but he could easily blend in due to him being past his peak fame.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
And get arrested.
Yeah right! I would be ghost after doing that act. I am in great shape and run like a cheetah.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:42 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some of these posters advocating going up to this or that famous person would be extremely butt hurt if they found out just what an AH some truly can be.

Yes, some are nice about chance encounters on street, in Central Park or whatever. But still others act like "who are you and why are you talking to me"? Or worse, "get lost you effing loser".

Case in point years ago was walking past side entrance to Carlyle Hotel when doors swung open and bunch of security suits blocked sidewalk. Out came Tom Selleck who strolled over to a waiting car.

Now this was around 7PM or so, and thus there wasn't that much traffic on sidewalk, and there certainly wasn't any need for all that nonsense. Meanwhile saw the late Elaine Stritch also come out of the Carlyle get into a waiting car or go off about her business without fanfare.

This is why you don't speak to such persons. You don't know them personally or socially from Adam (or Eve), thus the only reason for invading their privacy is the implied familiarity that comes fame. Some famous persons don't appreciate that implication and will let you know in no uncertain terms and or otherwise give the brush off treatment. You are then left standing there looking like an egit and feeling like a POS.
Speaking of the Carlyle. Bobby Short was nice. My mom knew him and we used to go hear him play once in a while. She knew him and never went up to him. Sign of respect.

I think it was Springsteen who said (paraphrasing) that you should keep your heroes at arms length...

Old 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Speaking of the Carlyle. Bobby Short was nice. My mom knew him and we used to go hear him play once in a while. She knew him and never went up to him. Sign of respect.

I think it was Springsteen who said (paraphrasing) that you should keep your heroes at arms length...
Ironically the only celebrity I ever said anything to was Springsteen's bandmate Steven Van Zandt and he was cool

Old 09-02-2018, 06:48 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Yeah right! I would be ghost after doing that act. I am in great shape and run like a cheetah.
The Dominican version of Ghost from Power huh?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It doesn't matter to me in reality, but I don't like when people think they get to decide how a "real New Yorker" acts.

And I remember before 6ix9ine was super famous even, there was a video of him walking around The Bronx and people were definitely giving him attention. So yes, "real New Yorkers" greeting celebrities is a thing.
I never said anything about being a real ny-er. I said people are people. I worked with many celebrities, I have acquaintances in my life that are celebrities, we all the same. I treat the porter in my building the same why I would Beyonce.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You should quit it with the "hardened New Yorker" act, you act like a soccer mom from Chappaqua. And you rave about the most Long Island or Westchester-esque parts of the city.

Plus, I know if you saw Donald Trump in your neighborhood you would probably cream yourself
They may be suburban but they are not Long Island or Westchester, and I am not from such areas either. As was said earlier, I am not a fan of large crowds so the quieter the neighborhood the better. Donald Trump... No biggie... He's a businesses man that is getting the job done. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:54 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm sorry but I don't know any of these people except for Paul McCartney. And if I saw Paul McCartney I wouldn't care.

At least name some celebrities that are trending.

How many times do you have to be told?

Don't catalogue famous persons have run into or whatever because like them when out am concentrating on one's own business. If I see someone fine, may make a mental note of it, then again maybe not.

Am down in Chelsea, Gramercy Park, Union Square, West/Greenwhich Village all the time and constantly pass or otherwise spook this or that famous person. Now who *YOU* consider famous versus the rest of us is a different matter.

Keep spying Mr. Jim Parsons (Sheldon on TBBT) all the time; but that is because he and his husband live in Gramercy Park area and once you know where and what to look for it becomes rather easy.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,088,530 times
I had a summer job working for U.S. Customs in 1978 at JFK and Richard Burton walked right by me. His complexion did not look very good and I remember thinking he is not going to live long but he lived until 1984. Still it was awesome to see him in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City