Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM

29 posts, read 33,805 times

Advertisements

In that case it must be true! Technically Melrose was a part of Morrisania, however since it has become its own neighborhood, I think the border has moved North to at least 163rd...although further east the Morrisania border remains 161st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I agree with these exact boundaries. Then the neighborhood from Southern to the Bronx river I call East Morrisania or Crotona Park East.
I consider Morrisania between Webster and Prospect from 161st to the Cross Bronx. I call East Morrisania what is east of Prospect since it has more homes than what's between Webster and Prospect.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I consider Morrisania between Webster and Prospect from 161st to the Cross Bronx. I call East Morrisania what is east of Prospect since it has more homes than what's between Webster and Prospect.
I can agree with that.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
This is true. I just never considered Morrisania big enough to be divided into north, south, east and west, since I spent so much time as a little kid riding my bike from end to end. Riding up to Gunhill was considered a long ride and I was in elementary school.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM

50 posts, read 132,530 times
I just bought a place in this area. I love our building we have a doorman, and the co-ops are nice and big, we even have a roof deck. I live on the concourse, and we call the area "concourse" or "south bronx" or "Yankee stadium." I really like here-- we used to live in lower Manhattan (Financial District) and my commute to midtown takes about the same time. There are lots of grocery stores and it feels pretty safe, though it is the Bronx so one need not be foolish.

You need to look a little to find the nice places, but they are there-- we live a very relaxed life here-- I jog over the bridges to Harlem for exercise, we volunteer in the local community garden. There are a lot of poor people, but a lot of middle class people too. Everyone is pretty nice to us. Our place was very inexpensive our mortgage is less than our rent used to be in Manhattan and we have a much bigger place.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I can agree with that.
Also, I used Prospect as a divider between Morrisania and East Morrisania because of the demographics. West of Prospect is more African-American and Hispanic whereas east of Prospect is heavily Puerto Rican.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 66,593 times
It's called Concourse Village due to the six building, 24 story, terraced cooperative a few blocks East of Yankee Stadium, that houses thousands of people.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
I lived in Concourse Village for 11 years I have lived in the South Bronx for my 21 years on the planet.
1. New York City is for the rich and if you are not rich trying to find a sweet deal if you are not a native wll be difficult
2. The 'Vil" is one step up from the projects, and directly across the street from 3 projects that just got raided.
3. Any native from NYC knows your safety depends on which block you are on, one block could be safe the next could not.
4. The actual complex: the views from the terraces are breath taking, absolutely gorgeous if you live high on a high floor. The newly renovated apartments are lovely, the buildings are clean but far from safe or quiet. the 2, 4,5,B, D and metronorth are all within walking the distance. All the major highways are within a 5 min drive. New Jersey is 15 minutes away. Geographically awesome, very convenient, but it is NOT A SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD, BUT THINGS ARE SLOWLY CHANGING. The neighborhood I believe is in the first steps of gentrification. If you are comfortable living in the hood, or are a native to NYC I recomend. Keep in mind it is the south Bronx

Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Also, I used Prospect as a divider between Morrisania and East Morrisania because of the demographics. West of Prospect is more African-American and Hispanic whereas east of Prospect is heavily Puerto Rican.
In another thread concerning the names of Bronx neighborhoods, what you are referring to as East Morrisania is now considered part of Longwood.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Yes Longwood is now the name of the area East of the Prospect Ave/Intervale stations, and West of the Bruckner...it is part of Hunts Point, however they are now trying to expand Longwood West of Prospect Ave/Intervale ave stations. I don't agree with expanding into that area because Longwood is strictly a subsection of Hunts Point, and not Morrisania. Areas west of the train are definitely Morrisania, and you can tell a significant difference when you cross either side of the train stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City