Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
Not nearly as much as the people who insist on owning cars in NYC. And who the hell wants to trek out to stores using unreliable trains and buses for transportation, and then have to lug it all back home on said trains? Not me, that's for sure.
And yet people managed to survive just fine before the internet age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
NYC has gained almost 1 million residents since 1990. At the same time the mass transit network and highway infrastructure has barely been overhauled or updated with more capacity.
Most of that was just making up for the loss of almost one million in the previous decades.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:33 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,197,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Want to cut down on congestion in Manhattan? It's very easy. Impose a $10,000 fine and forfeiture of vehicle and cargo, on any vehicle double standing on an avenue or major cross street M-F 8am to 7pm. I'm make this $25,000 for vehicles delivering for two particular companies, UPS and FedEx.

Whenever I drive in Manhattan and I find a big backup, there's a truck double parking narrowing down the traffic flow. And more often than not the offender is a UPS for Fedex truck.
According to something I read on a local message board (therefore not sure if it's true), the big companies like UPS have a deal negotiated with the city where they pay a flat rate no matter how many tickets they get.
Smaller companies with multiple vehicles have a deal called "fleet service " where they get discounts on most tickets and do not pay expired meter tickets at all. The smallest companies, and therefore most vulnerable, with something like only two vehicles, have to pay the tickets in full.

This doesn't seem quite fair and also basically encourages companies like UPS to double park wherever they want with no fear of repercussion.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,911,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
According to something I read on a local message board (therefore not sure if it's true), the big companies like UPS have a deal negotiated with the city where they pay a flat rate no matter how many tickets they get.
Smaller companies with multiple vehicles have a deal called "fleet service " where they get discounts on most tickets and do not pay expired meter tickets at all. The smallest companies, and therefore most vulnerable, with something like only two vehicles, have to pay the tickets in full.

This doesn't seem quite fair and also basically encourages companies like UPS to double park wherever they want with no fear of repercussion.
The other half of the deal is that these companies cannot contest the tickets.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,562,445 times
I've heard variations of this. I've heard of negotiated discounts. The companies slso hire lawyers who specialize in fighting parking tickets.

Deals like this need to be eliminated. I see the double parked trucks festooned with tickets. The companies write them off as the cost of doing business. That's why I made the penelty so onerous.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,622,772 times
Then the city needs to add designated commercial drop zones and enforce a time limit. This means even less street parking for residents.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM

192 posts, read 188,661 times
Quote:

I used to work in a company with several vehicles. We had a lawyer to fight the tickets, some we got thrown out, some we got reduced some we had to pay. But it was part of doing business.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 AM

16,202 posts, read 6,954,471 times
I have posted about congestion for some time.
Fact: The city will never stop people from entering. Just the opposite.
The State needs revenue. The citizens supply the revenue.
The taxes are garnished from wages.
More people means more money.
More people creates more congestion.
More people means more cars.
More cars create more congestion.
Less space for housing and less space for cars.
How to fix housing problem?
Build up instead of out. This means more skyscrapers.
How to fix car problem?
Impose high tolls on all free bridges into city.
Impose no car zones. Laugh. It will happen.
It will become cheaper for people to take mass transit
instead of paying tolls.

The sad truth.
Its all about expediency and making money.
No one is interested on waiting for tomorrow.
Quick fixes are all about quick return on money.
and quick return for investors.

Goodbye Green grass and high tides forever : Outlaws
Welcome to the jungle : Guns N Roses

Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,688,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Want to cut down on congestion in Manhattan? It's very easy. Impose a $10,000 fine and forfeiture of vehicle and cargo, on any vehicle double standing on an avenue or major cross street M-F 8am to 7pm. I'm make this $25,000 for vehicles delivering for two particular companies, UPS and FedEx.

Whenever I drive in Manhattan and I find a big backup, there's a truck double parking narrowing down the traffic flow. And more often than not the offender is a UPS for Fedex truck.
Sure, more enforcement and stiffer fines makes sense as the stick portion of things, but I think that should come with a carrot. Essentially, there should be an expanded and painted line ahead of each bus stop and on either side of any fire hydrant that is used for loading/unloading for delivery and pickup/dropoff for passengers. The reason to locate them around bus stations and fire hydrants is that there's already a supposed buffer room that is supposed to be kept clear so that means there's always some room to maneuver from lane to curbside.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,688,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I have posted about congestion for some time.
Fact: The city will never stop people from entering. Just the opposite.
The State needs revenue. The citizens supply the revenue.
The taxes are garnished from wages.
More people means more money.
More people creates more congestion.
More people means more cars.
More cars create more congestion.
Less space for housing and less space for cars.
How to fix housing problem?
Build up instead of out. This means more skyscrapers.
How to fix car problem?
Impose high tolls on all free bridges into city.
Impose no car zones. Laugh. It will happen.
It will become cheaper for people to take mass transit
instead of paying tolls.

The sad truth.
Its all about expediency and making money.
No one is interested on waiting for tomorrow.
Quick fixes are all about quick return on money.
and quick return for investors.

Goodbye Green grass and high tides forever : Outlaws
Welcome to the jungle : Guns N Roses
Yea, which all makes sense and how urban areas generally develop as the alternatives are often worse. If everyone sprawled out like the worst of the suburbs, then it'd be wildly economically/resource inefficient and then massive amounts of agricultural land area would be taken up as would most of nature and greenspace. Now if you really wanted that, then it's sort of ridiculous that you're living in New York City at all because NYC is much more the exception in the United States than the rule so what you're asking for is in far more abundance in the United States than the densely built urban environment of New York City. Go move just about anywhere else where there are no holes to fill with sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City