Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
sending you a pm!

As for the UES, aside from Pastrami Queen, Fillmore is also a pretty good. I can’t think of anything in the area you listed with notable pastrami. Maybe Schaller & Weber has a pastrami and I never noticed? Then again, that place has been around for more than a few years, so that’s probably not it.

Fillmore is a bit hit or miss. It was a little better when they first opened and we got excited since it is only a half block away. Once in a while it tastes like Key Food Pastrami.
Pastrami Queen is too expensive for my taste.

I will walk down to 86th and check out the place I mentioned.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It’s still happening, just very slowly and piecemeal. Now that the Democrats control both houses it might happen.
they only control the house!

Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
they only control the house!
I was gonna say the same thing, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to both houses in NY State

Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
That first part, may or may not be true but it’s pretty difficult to judge.

That last sentence is patently false. There are many things that can and perhaps need to be done aside from simply eliminating people.

Not eliminating, just bringing them to life at a much lower rate, worldwide. Nothing else will decrease the collective human carbon footprint to the necessary extent... unless you think it is feasible to go back to the lifestyle from prior to the invention of steam engine. How do you think humanity could at this point do without airplanes? Everybody driving a Tesla? Everybody becoming a vegetarian? Everything being manufactured strictly manually, without use of machines?

Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Not eliminating, just bringing them to life at a much lower rate, worldwide. Nothing else will decrease the collective human carbon footprint to the necessary extent... unless you think it is feasible to go back to the lifestyle from prior to the invention of steam engine. How do you think humanity could at this point do without airplanes? Everybody driving a Tesla? Everybody becoming a vegetarian? Everything being manufactured strictly manually, without use of machines?
I think that's pretty limited thinking. There are a lot of different concrete steps that could be taken, but a blanket "this is the only thing that can be done" is silly. Mind you, I definitely think people should consider how many children they can actually raise and part of that is a platform towards normalizing birth control the world over rather than trying to restrict it. I don't see as being incompatible with anything related to the politician in question or the party she's a part of nor the idea of having equal pay for equal work a bad one since this means women in the workforce rather than simply as baby machines.

Certainly a move towards different mobility options outside of an internal combustion engine (and not just Teslas) would make a massive difference--I mean, have you ever tried taking apart an internal combustion engine? That thing's an engineering marvel and it's somewhat crazy that so much effort was put into making that ubiquitous rather than alternatives that probably could have been where they are now about a few decades ago especially considering how much electrical infrastructure already exists in this country and the great convertibility to work that electricity has as well as the myriad ways it can be produced compared to just about any other energy option.

Covering shorter distances where possible with something more efficient than airplanes could help (that and redesigning airplanes). Recall that the gravity vector is constantly acting upon airplanes in flight and that airplanes generally have to maintain certain heights. How is that more efficient than trains where the gravity vector becomes a potentially minimize-able frictional force and mostly counter-acted by the normal force?

Everybody becoming a vegetarian or at least slowing down the uptake of heavy meat ingestion can certainly help, but there are also better and more efficient ways to farm. Meat-heavy diets aren't just resource-intensive but there are also questions surrounding how healthy that is.

Everything being manufactured manually does not by itself do anything because that doesn't imply any more efficiency or any less use of resources so I don't even know why that should be brought up--automation and heavy machinery became popular because it is more efficient not less.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-07-2019 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 04:40 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
I think that's pretty limited thinking. There are a lot of different concrete steps that could be taken, but a blanket "this is the only thing that can be done" is silly. Mind you, I definitely think people should consider how many children they can actually raise and part of that is a platform towards normalizing birth control the world over rather than trying to restrict it. I don't see as being incompatible with anything related to the politician in question or the party she's a part of nor the idea of having equal pay for equal work a bad one since this means women in the workforce rather than simply as baby machines.

Certainly a move towards different mobility options outside of an internal combustion engine (and not just Teslas) would make a massive difference--I mean, have you ever tried taking apart an internal combustion engine? That thing's an engineering marvel and it's somewhat crazy that so much effort was put into making that ubiquitous rather than alternatives that probably could have been where they are now about a few decades ago especially considering how much electrical infrastructure already exists in this country and the great convertibility to work that electricity has as well as the myriad ways it can be produced compared to just about any other energy option.

Covering shorter distances where possible with something more efficient than airplanes could help (that and redesigning airplanes). Recall that the gravity vector is constantly acting upon airplanes in flight and that airplanes generally have to maintain certain heights. How is that more efficient than trains where the gravity vector becomes a potentially minimize-able frictional force and mostly counter-acted by the normal force?

Everybody becoming a vegetarian or at least slowing down the uptake of heavy meat ingestion can certainly help, but there are also better and more efficient ways to farm. Meat-heavy diets aren't just resource-intensive but there are also questions surrounding how healthy that is.

Everything being manufactured manually does not by itself do anything because that doesn't imply any more efficiency or any less use of resources so I don't even know why that should be brought up--automation and heavy machinery became popular because it is more efficient not less.

No, I have to admit that I never tried to take apart an internal combustion engine :-). It is still a combustion though, and where there is a combustion, there is a carbon emission. Planes are here to stay, there is nothing obvious to replace them. All machines use energy. Where will you find enough electricity for the needs of even more billions of people than we already have, unless you build a lot of nuclear energy plants, and do you want a million of those around, considering the risks of accidents and terrorism?

Green initiatives have been around for a long time, yet the oceans keep rising, and they (the oceans) will be doing that until they envelop the Earth. There is no point in doing small bits of this and that - you need to go to the root cause, and erase that cause. In addition to stopping the eco-disaster, reducing the world population from almost 8 billion to a far more appropriate 1 billion in the next few generations would erase competition for resources, make the resources of a civilized humankind match its civilized size, robots would be doing all the boring stuff, people would be doing what robots can't in short shifts, and everybody would be happy. Overpopulation is the root of all evil in the nature and society. Anyway. this is kind of far away from the topic of AOC :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-07-2019 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
No, I have to admit that I never tried to take apart an internal combustion engine :-). It is still a combustion though, and where there is a combustion, there is a carbon emission. Planes are here to stay, there is nothing obvious to replace them. All machines use energy. Where will you find enough electricity for the needs of even more billions of people than we already have, unless you build a lot of nuclear energy plants, and do you want a million of those around, considering the risks of accidents and terrorism?

Green initiatives have been around for a long time, yet the oceans keep rising, and they (the oceans) will be doing that until they envelop the Earth. There is no point in doing small bits of this and that - you need to go to the root cause, and erase that cause. In addition to stopping the eco-disaster, reducing the world population from almost 8 billion to a far more appropriate 1 billion in the next few generations would erase competition for resources, make the resources of a civilized humankind match its civilized size, robots would be doing all the boring stuff, people would be doing what robots can't in short shifts, and everybody would be happy. Overpopulation is the root of all evil in the nature and society. Anyway. this is kind of far away from the topic of AOC :-).
Concern for the environment and obsession with having children at the right, magical time or what will substantially reduce the “white” population while no one else will comply to that degree.

Ultimately no country wants to have a shrinking population has that leads to economic and social collapse. So the West will continue to let in immigrants until birth rates increased.

The hyper environmentalism has had huge backlashes as those nutcases would have everyone live in the caveman days. It’s compromised of freaks and social rejects.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 709,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Concern for the environment and obsession with having children at the right, magical time or what will substantially reduce the “white” population while no one else will comply to that degree.

Ultimately no country wants to have a shrinking population has that leads to economic and social collapse. So the West will continue to let in immigrants until birth rates increased.

The hyper environmentalism has had huge backlashes as those nutcases would have everyone live in the caveman days. It’s compromised of freaks and social rejects.
Birth rates fall in all developed countries, and they fall as countries develop. Once the remainder of the world outside the 1st world economies becomes developed (who the hell knows when) and birth rates fall (as they always do without fail so far in that pattern) then all the skirt-clutching economists will have to deal with not a default of "the economy needs to grow" - but the reality of stagnating but stable economy. Through the monocular vision of economists - the economy HAS to grow - but when it gets to the point that human population is stabilizing - they will have to deal with a new reality. There will no longer be a never-ending source of immigrant labor for expansion, rather the economies that are most effective at stability will be the target to achieve. Far off yet, for sure. But it will come.

Environmentalism is mainstream among high school age kids and will be mainstream going into the future. Your old fogey comments about hyper environmentalism will soon seem as outdated as the tabloids who still referred to anyone who knew how to switch on a computer in the 1990s and geeks and nerds. You're already pulling into the slow lane dude.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Fillmore is a bit hit or miss. It was a little better when they first opened and we got excited since it is only a half block away. Once in a while it tastes like Key Food Pastrami.
Pastrami Queen is too expensive for my taste. Try it, you will not be sorry. Make sure you drop the word "fatty."

I will walk down to 86th and check out the place I mentioned.

So I walked in the cold yesterday down First and around 86th to Third, buying half and half at Fairway (they sell it for $1.99/quart.)
The excellent pastrami place is called TAL BAGEL (333 E. 86th...only steps from the NE escalator from the subway)and their deal is now $14.99 for Pastrami on Rye or Pumpernickel + soup or soda.
I'd have bought one but my stomach is still too sensitive since my recent loss.

Getting out of the house felt good but for the cold. It was below freezing all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City