Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Oh please. The working poor and dependent people of the city are quite able to exist on noble pontificating and billowy words. The $4,000,000,000 per year tax income the city & state would have gotten is nothing compared to being able to be smugly righteous.
???

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
???
Total sarcasm. It took me a minute to get use to this poster’s writing style but after I did, the responses are hilarious.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Never understood why they wanted LIC. Westchester made more sense.
Facebook, Microsoft, Apple and Google have HQ in suburban tract land and not in urban areas or near urban cores. 25k campus does not make sense in an urban space. Westchester, Staten Island or Suffolk and Nassau Counties made more logical sense than NYC.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:19 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Total sarcasm. It took me a minute to get use to this poster’s writing style but after I did, the responses are hilarious.
Not my style of humor, seems like they're trying too hard

But either way, maybe Newark will get lucky.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
As i stated in the locked thread, this will be the end of de blasio's (to add even cuomos) political career. They will never be president of the US.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Typical Democrats cheering for job loss and tax revenue loss.
This is not surprising as their voting base is the poor, so they have a political incentive to keep as many people as possible miserable, angry, and poor and be dependent on government programs to expand their voting base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not my style of humor, seems like they're trying too hard

But either way, maybe Newark will get lucky.
No, Amazon states *politely* they are just going with DC and Nashville. Its business-speak for we are not touching NYC metro with a 10 foot pole.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Here are my thoughts on Amazon leaving NYC. I understand 3 billion can be used to help build a segment of the second avenue subway, or it can be used to help black and brown kids in the public schools, and 3 billion can be used to help fix NYCHA. Time and time again putting money to fix housing, education and transportation has been a waste of money into the black hole.

Also, NYC does not need a 25k Amazon HQ Space. 25k is overkill. Not even MSG can hold 25k persons. And I also find it funny that some of you posters on here said all 25k jobs are only for skilled and talented folks who have degrees? So let me guess. John the Albanian who is employed as a janitor by Amazon has to have a degree right? What Amazon did its research and Amazon found that LIC has an higher average of college degree holders than the national average. Sadly Amazon did not do its politically research of the neighborhood. Also 25k is too much people. Instead of building a 2nd HQ, Amazon should have worked with the community to compromise on a size and scope for an office space. The same way how Nashville is getting an HQ with 3000 employees, such size or number would have been great for NYC. Why? You don't have to bicker about transportation, pollution, environmentalism, and who gets jobs, (educated transplants vs local undereducated natives with degrees, except for Nigerians, Jews, Asians, West Indians and WASPS). An employee size of 3k-5k for Amazon would have been fine for Long Island City Queens.

With that said. I'm sad to see Amazon go, but this si what happens when Social Justice Warrior culture runs amok. Not only that, but all of those talented educated white transplants are huge hoarders of debt. Millions of educated transplants live in NYC and are looking for a big break like Amazon which said it will pay 150k salary on average. Also an Amazon HQ would create other support jobs too. Shamika who has a masters degree and lives in her moms apartment in Long Island city housing project, to Megan who just arrived to Astoria Queens with a degree in Journalism, to John the Albanian who is an experienced "Janitor" would all benefit from an 150k salary paid by Amazon.

Last, I hope Middle America gets an Amazon HQ. I understand that Middle America does not have the talent due to large number of its educated populace head to the coasts for work after graduation. But Middle America needs jobs. The lack of jobs in Middle America made many vote for Trump. White Supremacy didn't elect him, it was the lack of jobs and decline of livelihoods that did. So please Amazon build an HQ in Middle America.

Amazon could have done well in a Suburban parts outside of the city such as Westchester or Nassau County. White Plains would have been a great place for an Amazon HQ.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
The performance based future tax breaks were a pittance compared to the overall economic activity and tax revenue this would have generated for the city and state. The people who chased Amazon out are idiots, destructionists.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:43 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Here are my thoughts on Amazon leaving NYC. I understand 3 billion can be used to help build a segment of the second avenue subway, or it can be used to help black and brown kids in the public schools, and 3 billion can be used to help fix NYCHA. Time and time again putting money to fix housing, education and transportation has been a waste of money into the black hole.
$3 billion can't be used for jack sh*t. Those were mostly tax breaks for future Amazon taxes over X amount of years. No money was exchanging hands and no money was coming out of the state budget for this.
All it means is instead of paying $30 billion in taxes, they would've paid $27 billion. NYS and NYC just lost $27 billion in future tax revenue, they did not gain money.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM

766 posts, read 508,291 times
I repeat the city does not have 3 billion dollars to apply somewhere else. We were technically getting over 30 billion dollars in 5 years and only giving amazon 3 billion back.

There is incentives in everything why are businesses viewed as vilians for taking them?

This was killed by NIMBY’s not even Queensbridge residents but young white liberals who will be moving on from NYC once kids are in the picture. Meanwhile Queensbridge residents are without a new school, community outreach planning and potential jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City