Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Maybe Woodlawn, Bronx?
It's one of the few neighborhoods listed that has any sort of middle class feel.
Riverdale/Van Cortlandt Village and Tottenville do too

(Edit: I now see that you wrote "one of the few")

Last edited by Foamposite; 02-16-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I've been to Woodlawn and liked it, but the part I was in seemed sort of cut off from subway service, or at least a long walk to get to one. (Same complaint about Riverdale.) On the other hand, if you can afford Metro North all the time, there's a station in Woodlawn that's very convenient.

I would consider Coney Island because, even though it's really far from Manhattan, it's still a reasonable distance from some of the nice neighborhoods of Brooklyn like Park Slope (still 40 minutes though).

I think if I were in a place like Far Rock, I would feel really cut off unless I were commuting to the city every day.

I don't know enough about the other Bronx neighborhoods or Staten Island to say one way or the other.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Jamaica is closer to Forest Hills than Coney Island is to Park Slope.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Jamaica is closer to Forest Hills than Coney Island is to Park Slope.
Rather spend my time in Park Slope than Forest hills. I live plenty close to Forest hills right now and basically never go there -- not very interesting.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
The Woodlawn 4 train station is not even in Woodlawn, it's at the Northern end of Norwood

Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Rather spend my time in Park Slope than Forest hills. I live plenty close to Forest hills right now and basically never go there -- not very interesting.
And Park Slope is? Lol, Park Slope is one of the most vanilla neighborhoods in all the city. IMO Forest Hills has better culture, restaurants, diversity, parks and architecture than Park Slope.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
And Park Slope is? Lol, Park Slope is one of the most vanilla neighborhoods in all the city. IMO Forest Hills has better culture, restaurants, diversity, parks and architecture than Park Slope.
I thought this was a thread about people's opinions and what they like. I stated my opinions and preferences and you're going off on me ? OK, maybe you don't have better things to do with your time.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought this was a thread about people's opinions and what they like. I stated my opinions and preferences and you're going off on me ? OK, maybe you don't have better things to do with your time.
I can do 10 things at the same time. Of all the neighborhoods that the OP raises, Coney Island is the most hood of all of them, and your favorite because it is closest to the most ruined neighborhood in all of NYC from a cultural point of view, Park Slope. Park Slope was perfectly fine before it got whitewashed.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:47 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I think Park Slope's restaurants have gotten notably better over the last several years as it's become a more national trend to enjoy a greater diversity of cuisines and flavors and more attention is paid to restaurants. Park Slope having a large yuppie, with significant wealth component thus has that translated into a large number of diverse and good restaurants in short order. The density of Park Slope and how it has multiple retail corridors at different levels of fanciness means there are also a lot of restaurants. The only thing is that the price tag is about double or triple for what you'd get for the same items of similar quality in the "right" neighborhood for them.

Also, will note that by rail, Jamaica is technically a quicker trip to Park Slope--albeit via the more expensive and less frequent Long Island Railroad from Jamaica Station to Atlantic Terminal.

Regardless, Park Slope and Forest Hills aren't going to be neighborhoods of last resort for most people.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 AM

179 posts, read 109,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
Which one of these far flung end of the line (rail) stops would you chose to live in if you had no other choice?

The options are:

-Jamaica, Queens (E, F, J, Z)
-Far Rockaway/Rockaway Park, Queens (A)
-242nd- Van Courtlandt Park, Bronx (1)
-205th-Norwood, Bronx (D)
-Wakefield, Bronx (2)
-Woodlawn, Bronx (4)
-Eastchester, Bronx (5)
-Pelham Bay, Bronx (6)
-Coney Island, Brooklyn (D, F, N, Q)
-New Lots Ave, Brooklyn (3/4*)
-Tottenville, Staten Island (SIR)

Coney Island, Rockaway Park and Far Rockway terminal areas are all home to a lot of struggling people ---lots of single adults either homeless or living in SROs or Adult Homes -- very visible in the ares around the stations.

Then--- when and if these people need services they're a long way from the municipal centers.Not a good situation particularly in the Rockaways where the trains (outside rush hours) are infrequent. Coney is better of course in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City