Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
Which one of these far flung end of the line (rail) stops would you chose to live in if you had no other choice?

The options are:

-Jamaica, Queens (E, F, J, Z)
-Far Rockaway/Rockaway Park, Queens (A)
-242nd- Van Courtlandt Park, Bronx (1)
-205th-Norwood, Bronx (D)
-Wakefield, Bronx (2)
-Woodlawn, Bronx (4)
-Eastchester, Bronx (5)
-Pelham Bay, Bronx (6)
-Coney Island, Brooklyn (D, F, N, Q)
-New Lots Ave, Brooklyn (3/4*)
-Tottenville, Staten Island (SIR)

none of em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:36 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh boy... Are saying that Riverdale and Woodlawn are "high crime" neighborhoods?

riverdale goin down now. hasn't been sh** lately

Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 AM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
End of the line neighborhood:

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2020 at 01:38 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
none of em
Always complaining

Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed.
I wouldn't live in Far Rockaway or Coney Island.

Coney Island is really far from basically everything. It's well over an hour by subway to even lower Manhattan.
Parts of Coney Island aren't even close to the subway (can be over a mile from Stillwell and still be in Coney Island).

The neighborhood is also mostly NYCHA projects, and as such is crime- and drug-ridden.
Agreed, a lot of formerly homeless people from shelters are placed in Coney Island NYCHA apartments because there are so many of them.
And services for these people are sparse in Coney Island.
It's not a great combination.
Coney Island has a lot of transit options, but what it has transit options to without taking a really long ride are southern Brooklyn neighborhoods. I'm really into southern Brooklyn neighborhoods and have been spending more and more time there, so that's fine by me. Now if I had to do a midtown commute---blegh!

I'm also assuming we get to choose where we live within the neighborhoods. Coney Island doesn't really have great parts, but it has some okay ones. I certainly wouldn't opt to live in the W 20s, but instead live more on its eastern side and closer to train transit, the beach, the actual commercial activity, and Brighton Beach.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Coney Island has a lot of transit options, but what it has transit options to without taking a really long ride are southern Brooklyn neighborhoods. I'm really into southern Brooklyn neighborhoods and have been spending more and more time there, so that's fine by me. Now if I had to do a midtown commute---blegh!

I'm also assuming we get to choose where we live within the neighborhoods. Coney Island doesn't really have great parts, but it has some okay ones. I certainly wouldn't opt to live in the W 20s, but instead live more on its eastern side and closer to train transit, the beach, the actual commercial activity, and Brighton Beach.
Nobody really lives within walking distance to the train in Coney Island (Stillwell Avenue).

Most ppl have to take the bus

If you're within walking distance to West 8th Street or Ocean Parkway train stations, you're not even in CI anymore.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I'd choose Norwood, end of D. You can walk to the 4 or the metro north from there too (more or less far depending on where you are) and the NYBG. If you get sick, Montifiore is a great hospital, and in a worst case scenario, Woodlawn Cemetery is close too. (That was in poor taste, but it's worth a visit if you're up there.) There are some big Victorian houses in the neighborhood if you can afford them.

I like Woodlawn, but the lack of a subway is a deal breaker for me. The neighborhood I like most around the end of the 1 is Van Cortlandt Village, but it's a little far and just pretty inconvenient in general (I'd hate to rely on the 1 train for my commute too). Open space is important to me, and although Van Cortlandt Park is huge, it doesn't compare to the NYBG.

Last edited by yodel; 02-18-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
riverdale goin down now. hasn't been sh** lately
In your demented world, ALL of the Bronx is a cesspool, even areas like Country Club, Woodlawn, Riverdale (Fieldston, Spuyten Duyvil, North Riverdale, Central Riverdale etc.) and Pelham Gardens. All of the people in Fieldston in their multi-million dollar homes are selling because crime is rampant all over Riverdale!!

I'd take any of the above neighborhoods over East Harlem ALL day that's for sure.

Tottenville is also a lovely upper middle class area. The homes are gorgeous and there are express buses to Manhattan so no having to deal with the SIR or the ferry.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
This thread is just so hilarious. It is like a bunch of working slaves who all want to be normal and think "If I just hang out with the whites then I am in good hands". Same mentality for all those people traveling to the Carolina's or even Florida.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 AM

251 posts, read 148,347 times
My picks:

242/Van Cortlandt Pk for sure: Though it’s local, the #1 is pretty speedy in that it rarely stalls or go slow speed between stations; you can get to 96th St for the express 2/3 in like 20 mins. Also, the fact that it doesn’t go through any truly horrible neighborhoods (unlike a lot of other lines such as the A, D, 4, 5, 6, for example) is an added bonus.

Jamaica Center: The LIRR is right there (if you don’t feel like being bothered with the E/F express). Also, some sections just north of Jamaica Ctr really aren’t that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City