Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 21,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Riverdale is a good option, but a 3BR might be tough in that area for your budget.

Look at train/subway times though. Some trains from Westchester are faster than points in the Bronx to get to midtown. mta.info is handy for Metro North times.

I had a similar budget and wound up living 90 minutes from Manhattan to have a house and area I like with low taxes. The tri-state area is tough.

Curious to know where you moved to? Orange County NY? I'm currently living in Riverdale area of bronx...we love it but will eventually need a house as we grow a family....I didn't want to go too far up but based on prices looks like we would have to....any insights on Orange County towns???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 01:47 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidelatina View Post
Curious to know where you moved to? Orange County NY? I'm currently living in Riverdale area of bronx...we love it but will eventually need a house as we grow a family....I didn't want to go too far up but based on prices looks like we would have to....any insights on Orange County towns???
No, I'm in CT. Milford specifically. I absolutely love it here for many reasons, and my 3-4 times into the city a week to my job near GCT isn't that bad. I'm a mile from the train station which goes direct to GCT with a 90 minute express train on the New Haven line. Getting home is such a great feeling, it's like a mini vacation with the beautiful downtown and coast. My house would be AT LEAST 2x as much with 3-4x the taxes in Westchester.

Another option in this area that's closer is Fairfield with a roughly 70 minute express train. It's pricier than Milford, but also an exceptional town. Depends on your budget, really. Also, if you want to live in a wooded rural area, or near a little more action. I like it here because it has dining, shopping, walkable areas, nearby culture, but also feels quiet. Nice balance.

I don't know much about Orange County, sorry. But it seems roughly equidistant to my area, with not as good train access?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:09 PM

270 posts, read 145,622 times
Have a look at OLPH. It's safe school, diverse and has a 12:1 student to teacher ratio. It's located just over the border in Pelham Manor.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
OP is better off staying in the Bronx.

See if you can manage something within the zip code 10468 or 10463.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Schools in the Bronx are safe. They all have metal detectors.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 PM

84 posts, read 62,132 times
Get the hell out of the Bronx. Not only because their schools/neighborhoods are full of savages, colleges will take a more positive view of your son if he were to graduate from a HS with a Westchester address as opposed to a Bronx address. These are just facts. Kind of like how an employer may judge your resume based on your address.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:05 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, but co-op fees can equal hundreds of thousands of dollars in mortgage.
This is true. But that is because the taxes are included. With a condo, or house, your taxes are separate. I'm not sure everyone considers their real estate taxes when they do their back of the envelope math for these things.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyi23 View Post
Do I really need to move to Westchester in order for my child to have access to an above average public school education? All this time, we have been thinking about moving to Yorktown, Croton or Cortland mainly because these are the towns for which we can afford to live (with a budget of 400,000 for a single family house or condo - 3 bedrooms) while giving our son a good public school education. But, our extended family is in the Bronx and I really would like to stay here for all other conveniences. There has to be a place in Bronx or Manhattan that *is safe, affordable and with a good shook district? Yes?!!!! Any thoughts?
Can you get into a charter school by lottery (probably not, the mayor is against them despite just wasting $800,000,000 on a scheme for failing schools and then pulling the plug after seeing the results were worse than the average school results changes). If you can, then stay there - with an aim to get into Bronx Sci for high school (will need to ace the SHS exam). Most of the good traditional public middle schools are not nearby you.

Overall the city is pro-teachers' unions rather than pro-kid's education - and that has very mixed results for people who actually have to send their kids to a public school. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMan View Post
Get the hell out of the Bronx. Not only because their schools/neighborhoods are full of savages, colleges will take a more positive view of your son if he were to graduate from a HS with a Westchester address as opposed to a Bronx address. These are just facts. Kind of like how an employer may judge your resume based on your address.
The opposite is true. If you do well in SAT/ACT and come from a disadvantaged school district, especially if you are a non-asian minority, you are admissions gold. You'll occasionally see such kids in the newspapers - and they'll get 5 ivy league offers as every admissions office is salivating at bringing them in.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:31 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Public schools in Throgs Neck are not great. Pelham Bay is better. (I'm not sure which schools are in Country Club.) I personally would check out Woodlawn.
Country Club, Throggs Neck and Pelham Bay are all part of district 8. It's a huge school district.

Children in Country Club are zoned for PS14 (pre-K thru 5) and for PS71 in Pelham Bay (pre-k thru 6) depending on where in CC you live. The performance on state tests is about the same and at the state average for both. Both are considered good schools, much better than PS72 in TN. For grades 6-8 all kids from TN, PB and CC are fed into IS192. A not so great school. (MS101 is also in TN but is a G&T program.) Right in Country Club is Villa Maria Academy that is a phenomenal school. Expensive but phenomenal.

In my experience, having grown in up TN and my other half in CC, those families that can afford Catholic or private schools beyond 5th grade often go that route. Personally, I went to Catholic schools in TN all 12 years. LizfromtheBronx grew up in CC. Not sure where she went pre-high school but we went to HS together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City