Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

yea, all those old people, horses and kids they managed to kill with exploding bombs. Yea - can I find a bar supporting that?

I wonder how many people who had donated money to IRA to kill people were in the twin towers and were themselves killed by terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The IRA is not on topic. Please either recommend a bar or discuss the IRA in the appropriate thread/forum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 AM

3 posts, read 72,625 times
Default Pubs All Over NYC Support the Republican Effort

I am in an executive position with Friends of Sinn Fein headquartered here in NYC. NYC metro area has always been the hub of material and monetary support for the independence movement in the north of Ireland.

You'd be hard pressed to find a pub where the ownership (if Irish) does not support the cause and the majority of patrons arent in agreement. In addition to being the metro area providing the largest material and monetary support for the cause, NYC also is home to by far the largest number of disaffected Irish Catholic families from the north and is also home to a large number of former freedom fighters.

Get a copy of one of the Irish papers or check their websites and you will see pubs hosting independence organization events all over the city.

Some with the most historic ties are Rory Dolan's; McDougal's Ale House; McSorley's; O'Hara's and almost every pub in Woodside, Queens.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
Things haven't improved in Northern Ireland as dramatically as some posters appear to be trying to suggest. There was some of the most severe rioting for years in Catholic and protestant areas during the marching season with both sides blaming the other. Riots mark culmination of Belfast marching season - YouTube

IRELAND - MORE VIOLENCE BREAKS OUT AFTER FREEMASONIC ORANGE MARCHES - 100 PETROL BOMBS THROWN - YouTube
Northern Ireland is still a tinderbox waiting to go off in certain areas such as East Belfast and artillery, rocks and petrol bombs are regularly fired over the high wire fences back and forth between the two sides.

During these times of economic hardship, the Real IRA (which has been responsible for the injury and deaths of many army and RUC personnel over the past decade) is still very much active and has certainly been effective in recruiting large groups of disaffected youth in the midst of a climate where Government spending is to be slashed to the bone and poverty and economic hardship remains prevalent and is undeniably going to get worse as the cuts bite. Hence the large exodus from Ireland (North and South) to London, the United States and Canada that we have seen yet again since the collapse of the Celtic tiger in 2008.

Sinn Fein is a legimate political party that also now runs as a political organisation throughout the rest of Ireland as well as the North and they are growing in support. It looks set to come third in the current presidential elections. Michael D. Higgins looks set to win and is currently in pole position. The Irish World : home : (Irish News) (http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=1&Article_Id=20816 - broken link)

I live in an historically Irish area in London and it was renowned as a very politically active part of London too. Masked IRA men regularly came in the bars to collect their fees and most revellers obliged. Some English people felt extremely uncomfortable in these pubs. I actually saw one man get beaten up horrifically just for wearing an orange shirt which was sad.

This is where British politicians have been very hypocritical in the way that they have repeatedly attacked Sinn Fein fundraisers in the United States. Alot of actual IRA (not Sinn fein) fundraising came from within the UK itself and London's underworld criminal network certainly had no qualms about working with them for the cabbage and neither did corrupt officials in positions of influence.

There are still hundreds of Irish bars scattered through London too, in my area and throughout NW London especially. In fact they're as common as phone booths and post boxes. The Wolfetones play regularly as do the Bible Code Sundays who wrote this song about my area.
BibleCode Sundays - Welcome To Cricklewood - YouTube

As for New York, I watched a Celtic F.C game at Rocky Sullivans Rocky Sullivan's - Red Hook - Brooklyn, NY 11231 | Metromix New York in Brooklyn and the bar was packed. What about Manhattan though? Any good Irish bars left in Manhattan around Midtown? I remember going into one that was two floors high and the punters had a distinct New York/Irish accent and were comfortably capable of switching easily between the two. One minute there was the Irish brogue and then they'd switch to an unmistakably New York "gimme a buddle of Jamesons". I've been to Rory Dolan's and Mclean Avenue where there are alot of Irish bars. What about Hell's Kitchen and Inwood? Any atmospheric Irish bars left in those areas or have most of the old school Irish moved on now?

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 10-29-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,607 times
To all the people who think the IRA is bad they you should think every army is bad do you know how many innocent people the US army kill so shut the **** up and stop going after one group when your close minded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City