Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why is 81st Street so riddled with rats?
Don't know, but it is and has been for years now. East 80th isn't far off either.

Walked down East 81st at night a few days ago; from the corner of Third to just before that townhouse in question were tons of trash bags from the various restaurants that line part of the block. That could be one reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Walked past the townhouse in question about an hour ago. No evidence of rats (not even a bait station) visible. But did see someone clearing out several bags of garbage.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
How hard is it to completely protect a townhouse from rats? Or a prewar apartment? It's doable right?

I know roaches may be impossible but rodents are the same?

For $43k a month its a problem that shouldn't exist. Rich people couldn't take care of the problem? Wondering if there are any exterminators that frequent this forum. I'm curious :P

Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
How hard is it to completely protect a townhouse from rats? Or a prewar apartment? It's doable right?

I know roaches may be impossible but rodents are the same?

For $43k a month its a problem that shouldn't exist. Rich people couldn't take care of the problem? Wondering if there are any exterminators that frequent this forum. I'm curious :P

For an experienced and good exterminator, and or someone who knows what they are doing ridding a building of rats isn't difficult. Depending upon size of infestation and a few other factors it may take awhile, but can be done. As evidenced by how many buildings in NYC are rat free compared to those that aren't.

First and foremost you have to seal rats out of a building. This is called "exclusion" and means finding every single possible entry point and sealing them up properly so rats cannot get in. Property isn't secure sooner or later rats will just come back.

After tightening things up next thing is to clean up the place if necessary. Property around on and inside must be cleared of clutter, rubbish, garbage, filth, etc... Any and all food must be stored in rodent proof containers in areas where rats cannot get at it. Stop leaving food and water out for Fido or Kitty. Sweep and mop kitchen floors, clean in and behind stoves/ranges, ovens, under refrigerators, etc..

Final front is to plug any holes inside, then also start baiting/trapping. Rats are smart creatures so while it may be easy to pick off some early on; the older/smarter ones may take some time. But they have to go otherwise will breed and problem starts again.

In really bad cases a place will have to be fumigated.

What usually happens in apartment buildings is landlords or whoever cheaps out. The hire the lowest bidding exterminator who does nothing more than feed the rats.

For a townhouse like the one those tenants are claiming is infested rats could be coming or came in many ways.

You've got that exposed English basement on ground floor with separate entrance. There are a number of ways...

Having rats in basements/cellars in not unheard of; fairly common in buildings that don't take precautions. There are just so many ways they can get in, that even best of buildings catch a few now and then. If problem is caught early and dealt with a building will remain rat free. But if allowed to get out of hand as the population grows things will move to upper floors.

Problem is NYC and Manhattan in particular has some of the oldest housing stock in the country. Old foundations develop cracks, gaps form around pipes and such leading into or out of building (gas, water, sewer, electric... Doors that lead to basement/located on ground floors left open and or have gaps at base leaving room for rats to squeeze (or just walk) under....

Added attraction is that basements are usually warm, especially those where heat is from steam/hot water. Those boilers going all the time make it nice and cozy down there. Even if rats have to go outside to find food, they will come right back home if there is a way in/out.

Walking around the UES and other parts of Manhattan at night frequently see rats running *from* the gutter or bags of garbage towards a building. There they disappear into the alleyways leading downstairs and or foundations.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 8,536 times
This is true. UES is literally teeming with rats. The big ones. On many blocks on the UES, I walk in the middle of the street just to avoid them running all over my feet. And don’t think the prewar or other fab apartment buildings are immune. I see it all. I’m really not sure why it is that way, except I know it’s worse around construction sites. And there’s a lot of construction still, thanks to Quinnberg.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceNYC View Post
This is true. UES is literally teeming with rats. The big ones. On many blocks on the UES, I walk in the middle of the street just to avoid them running all over my feet. And don’t think the prewar or other fab apartment buildings are immune. I see it all. I’m really not sure why it is that way, except I know it’s worse around construction sites. And there’s a lot of construction still, thanks to Quinnberg.
Things are really bad on 83rd between Second and Third. They had a rat problem on that block for years, and SAS subway construction made things worse. Now that new building going up on corner of 83rd and Third may have upped that game because there are literally huge rats up and down that GD block. Used to cut across 83rd when getting out of the SAS to reach points west, not anymore. Or if I do, walk in the street if after dark.

Another really bad spot is Lexington between 78th and 77th where yet another new building is going up. On that side of the block there are huge rats going from the bagel place up to the new building.

Mind you that block has always been bad due to subway, but not like this.

Don't know why but it seems from 79th or 80th to about 85th certain UES blocks are rat central.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
I lived in a townhouse on East 63rd St. There were rats all in the basement.

Get a cat > From a shelter.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:45 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Common misconception: NYC bedrock is "Manhattan Schist"

Little Known Fact: NYC bedrock is "Billions of Rats"

Old 01-28-2021, 12:13 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know, but it is and has been for years now. East 80th isn't far off either.

Walked down East 81st at night a few days ago; from the corner of Third to just before that townhouse in question were tons of trash bags from the various restaurants that line part of the block. That could be one reason.
I can confirm East 80th and all surrounding areas (at least from third ave, down to the river) runs rampant with rats. A bit over a year ago I was walking on 80th from third to the east river promenade in the evening, rats were everywhere! Especially when those bags of garbage are laying outside the buildings.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,743 times
This became way worse with COVID.

The rats are now nesting in cars engine compartments or eating the wires because they are hungry.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...s-coronavirus/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/giant-rat...e-of-manhattan

One day I popped my hood to refill the windshield wiper fluid and found chicken bones, bread and insulation from under the hood sitting on top of my engine. I cleaned it off and about 2 week later the check engine light came on, popped the hood again and sure enough chicken bones were on top of the engine again!! And turns out they ate through the wires of my oxygen sensor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City