Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Buses in the BX always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.
The bus fare beating is very common in harlem, the south Bronx and Brooklyn east of prospect park. In the south Bronx the fare beaters often tend to ride to harlem, or to get off by the housing projects like butler, Melrose, Mott haven, Mitchell houses and so on. This is what I observed. Due to the current climate we are in. Sjws will be upset of the mta wanting to put a program to step fare beaters. I expect Vice and the NYT with its virtue signaling to support fare beaters but cause they are oppressed and can't afffrod to travel. Just the other day I saw a mad dash of people running for the backdoor on 149 st. Not on person who went to backdoor paid their fare except a Fordham University student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
When the MTA introduces OMNY there will be way less fare beating. Many people just forget or don't have time to refill their metrocard beforehand and many residents that are far from a train station have to take a bus to the train just to refill. The MTAs outdated system is a factor to this as well. The MTA should increase the speed of rolling out OMNY, instead of testing it on certain lines..
I can't believe that the MTA doesn't allow you to go to a website and reload the existing card the same way I can do with my ez-pass.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 AM

155 posts, read 121,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wow! You’ve painted quite the picture. Such ugly behavior and theft of services.

I also don’t have much sympathy for people who need to refill their metro card. It doesn’t take much planning to make sure you have enough on there. I guess for people who only take buses and never use the subway it’s harder. The simple solution is to have two cards—one is a backup card that always has $10 to $20 on it.
It's something else to be entirely honest.

This morning, on my way to the office, I witnessed the most BRILLIANT thing. I arrived at the Simpson St train station, on the Manhattan bound platform, to find that all THREE of the turnstyles had been deactivated and that the emergency exit door was open. The staff inside the booth was announcing over the speaker for passengers to enter through the gate.

As you can imagine, the $2 cash swipe guys were FURIOUS and even yelling at the staff at the token booth that the practice is 'f***** up'. Now I don't know if the token booth person deactivated the turnstyles and opened the door, OR, if the $2 cash swipe guys purposely deactivated the turnstyles to force people into paying $2 to get onto the platform. I've seen this happen at the 125 Street station on the 2 and 3 line. I've also seen these $2 cash swipe guys spray a liquid on the MVM machines that makes the touch screens not respond to the touch of a person trying to purchase a MetroCard. In that instance, I gave the MTA Police a call and reported the incident.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So much truth!!

Every morning when I don't feel like walking to the station and I take the bus this is the normal scenario:

The bus pulls up to the stop and everyone bum rushes the front to get one blocking people trying to get off. The ones in the at the back of the crowd then realize by the time they get on there wont be a seat just go through the back door and grabs all the open seats. No one bats an eyelash.

When I use to take the BX6, every morning there would be someone in a wheelchair getting on the bus. They never pay the fare when boarding. Now the ones with the walkers that doubles as a chair started to catch on to what the wheelchair people were doing and now they decided not to pay also. They would sit in the walker right by the bus stop and the bus would pull up right in front of them, they would then get on the bus first and walk right pass the farebox and grab a disabled person seat with the walker in front of them blocking the walkway for everyone else boarding after them.

I see it constantly on the BX19 by Lincoln on 149th, The BX6 by Montefiore on 161st, and on the BX2 on the Concourse by Mt. Eden.

On the SBS oh forget about it, 90% of the people just get on the back with out a ticket and ive only seen a few get busted when the bus pulls in and the undercovers step on the bus asking for tickets even though most of the people on the bus don't have a ticket because they never check everyone
The whole point of SBS is to board through ANY of the doors to speed up the boarding process. Those without a ticket is a problem, but you can board through any door.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So much truth!!

Every morning when I don't feel like walking to the station and I take the bus this is the normal scenario:

The bus pulls up to the stop and everyone bum rushes the front to get one blocking people trying to get off. The ones in the at the back of the crowd then realize by the time they get on there wont be a seat just go through the back door and grabs all the open seats. No one bats an eyelash.

When I use to take the BX6, every morning there would be someone in a wheelchair getting on the bus. They never pay the fare when boarding. Now the ones with the walkers that doubles as a chair started to catch on to what the wheelchair people were doing and now they decided not to pay also. They would sit in the walker right by the bus stop and the bus would pull up right in front of them, they would then get on the bus first and walk right pass the farebox and grab a disabled person seat with the walker in front of them blocking the walkway for everyone else boarding after them.

I see it constantly on the BX19 by Lincoln on 149th, The BX6 by Montefiore on 161st, and on the BX2 on the Concourse by Mt. Eden.

On the SBS oh forget about it, 90% of the people just get on the back with out a ticket and ive only seen a few get busted when the bus pulls in and the undercovers step on the bus asking for tickets even though most of the people on the bus don't have a ticket because they never check everyone
I view the same observation myself. I noticed that in Harlem and people going and to from Harlem and the housing projects in the South Bronx. Bx15, Bx19, Bx6, 21, 32,1 and 2 all have fare beaters. I noticed it when buses going to Harlem, or near to a housing project. The city should come out with reduce metro cards for poor people. And if thier is a program for low cost mass transit fares. Why is the program not being utilized, and who is it utilized for?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-27-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 08:34 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Wait a minute.... wait a minute. $125 million of my hard tax earned dollars already rolled out for free bee Metro Cards to the needy and
turnstile hopping is still problematic in the most impoverished of places? Sounds like the cards are not being utilized. Maybe sold on the cheap?
Now take a few MTA workers from their original posts and set them up as seeing eye dogs to other locations...........hmmm. Take from Peter to
give to Paul? Hope it's not track workers. Don't need a few forgotten tied down wooden beams falling
onto my head as I walk under the el......................sheesh !

Turnstile hopping under the penal Section 165.15 is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail.
How about actually enforcing the law! A few arrests ....followed by some media coverage ?
Bet ya......................folks will think twice...............

Old 03-27-2019, 10:12 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
i'll believe it when i see it. Buses in the bx always have at least half the passengers board from the back. It may be to make sure they get on or to avoid payment but until that stops they won't be able to get the fares from everyone.
+1

Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
When the MTA introduces OMNY there will be way less fare beating. Many people just forget or don't have time to refill their metrocard beforehand and many residents that are far from a train station have to take a bus to the train just to refill. The MTAs outdated system is a factor to this as well. The MTA should increase the speed of rolling out OMNY, instead of testing it on certain lines..
I doubt it

the redesigned stations make fare hopping easier

Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can't believe that the MTA doesn't allow you to go to a website and reload the existing card the same way I can do with my ez-pass.
The MTA is ass backwards stupid. Customers cannot see the balance on the metrocards unless they go to a vending machine in a train station or they use it to board a bus. This is one of the reasons I stopped using the regular MetroCard and switched to the EZPay MetroCard and just liked it to a commuter card account so I don't have to ever worry about the balance of the card or use the machines to refill cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The whole point of SBS is to board through ANY of the doors to speed up the boarding process. Those without a ticket is a problem, but you can board through any door.
True but once you observe the mad dash of commuters coming from the train station at Fordham to the SBS BX12 or 161st directly to the SBS BX6 without touching the kiosks for a ticket it becomes very clear they had no intention in paying.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
i blame deblasio for a lax standards. He's too busy to manage a city while he tries to run for president. End up like chris christie and hopefully behind bars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City