Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Meaning of the above post?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:42 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
With the exception of bringing friends to the gym, you did not mention in your post what else specifically these people are doing that is offensive. You can complain to the building management (including unobtrusively taking a picture of "friends" at the gym, or whatever other problems are happening). Anyone violating terms of a lease can be fined or evicted (and companies that own and manage rental buildings DO pursue fines and evictions - it is hard for small scale landlords, but fairly routine for larger companies).
Complaining is not going to accomplish much. Most landlords are now jumping into the tax rebate affordable housing program. It’s sad but true. New York State has one of the highest property taxes in the US and this is one -if not the only way- to bring down those taxes.

You may be able to complain about the actual behavior of the person (loud music, hoarding, taking a **** in the elevator, and other project-like behaviors).

Old 06-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Complaining is not going to accomplish much. Most landlords are now jumping into the tax rebate affordable housing program. It’s sad but true. New York State has one of the highest property taxes in the US and this is one -if not the only way- to bring down those taxes.

You may be able to complain about the actual behavior of the person (loud music, hoarding, taking a **** in the elevator, and other project-like behaviors).

Just judging by the threads popular on this forum, there must be thousands of people on the waiting list for renting in that mixed-income new building where the OP is renting. If one tenant is kicked out of an affordable unit for ratchet behavior, there will be a thousand of applicants waiting to replace him/her. A private rental company (as opposed to NYCHA) DOES care about what is happening on their property, and they can perfectly well afford to kick out a problem tenant because he/she will be replaced immediately by a presumably better one. When the word gets around that one will get readily kicked out of an affordable unit in a mixed-income building for breaking the building rules, people will think much harder about breaking them.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Just judging by the threads popular on this forum, there must be thousands of people on the waiting list for renting in that mixed-income new building where the OP is renting. If one tenant is kicked out of an affordable unit for ratchet behavior, there will be a thousand of applicants waiting to replace him/her. A private rental company (as opposed to NYCHA) DOES care about what is happening on their property, and they can perfectly well afford to kick out a problem tenant because he/she will be replaced immediately by a presumably better one. When the word gets around that one will get readily kicked out of an affordable unit in a mixed-income building for breaking the building rules, people will think much harder about breaking them.
Now if someone is doing stuff like using the bathroom in the elevators or hallways, that definitely needs to be brought to management attention. Ditto other anti social behaviors. The private company will not want to lose it’s high paying tenants and have only poor ones. You’re right about the penalties for doing unacceptable things and the very long waiting list.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
With the exception of bringing friends to the gym, you did not mention in your post what else specifically these people are doing that is offensive. You can complain to the building management (including unobtrusively taking a picture of "friends" at the gym, or whatever other problems are happening). Anyone violating terms of a lease can be fined or evicted (and companies that own and manage rental buildings DO pursue fines and evictions - it is hard for small scale landlords, but fairly routine for larger companies).
The OP also did not say if letting friends in to use the gym is against building rules. If there’s no rule against it, then they have done nothing wrong.

She also hasn’t said that the friends are actually doing anything bad. Presumably if they were the management would restrict access to the gym and enforce the restrictions.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unentitled View Post
I live in a new building in East Harlem. I'm the first tenant in my apt. The building has doormen, a hard-working super, two nice elevators, "Juliette" terraces, rooftop access, a gym, and free Internet access.

Oh, and now "low-income" people. People who feel entitled to living here because they grew up in Harlem. I've had a few interactions with someone of them, and after I did, I felt like I needed a SHOWER. I didn't realize how much I loathe these people. Their ****ty attitudes, and ****tier behavior. Treating this building and the hard-working people in it, like the projects they just came from. They're paying pennies on the dollar for their apartments. I wish I cut my 2 year lease. Now I understand why condos are so sought after.

"Low-income" tenants. The "low" stands for low-lives. Low or little respect for the social contract others have to abide by. And what's crazy is that these low-lifes will remain here, long after I am.

God, forgive me. I hate that I feel this way. I hate that I'm letting this turn me into a person I don't like. I don't have a lot, but what I do have, I've worked hard for. And, really, I just want serenity when I close my door. And what I'm going to do to ensure my piece of serenity and peace of mind is buy home security cameras. I really don't feel like my apt (and cat) is safe when I leave for work.

What is the criteria to get one of these apts? I've been looking into it, and apparently, these people have to work. And that's bull**** I know they don't. Not all, of course. But when I'm lucky enough to work from home and have to do errands, I see them coming in and out during the day. (And don't be ridiculous: they're not working from home, too.)

I'm done spewing for now. In my dreams, one of these "20%ers" is reading this, and if you are, I just want to say No one gives a f**k that you grew up in Harlem. The world is changing, including the world around you. Ingratiate yourself. Have some ****ing manners. Act like an adult, not a farm animal. Stop letting your friends in to use this gym we're lucky enough to have.

I need a shower.

One more thing: although it is blatantly unfair that one person pays much more in rent than another person, for the exact same apartment, still low-income tenants in these mixed-income buildings pay at least SOME rent, and presumably pay the same percentage of their income for their rent as you pay for your rent. While this situation is far from being fair, at least the low-income renters in these buildings do not receive a complete handout, but still work for their rent. The argument is that the only way for a city to have low-paid service workers (which any city indeed does need) is to secure enough housing affordable to such workers. Any low-income lessee must be working if he/she has managed to get a lease in your building. The parade of non-workers that you are seeing in the building during regular business hours could be the extended families/friends of the lessees, who may have no legal right to live in the building - and that is also something you could point out to the company that owns the building

Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unentitled View Post
I live in a new building in East Harlem. I'm the first tenant in my apt. The building has doormen, a hard-working super, two nice elevators, "Juliette" terraces, rooftop access, a gym, and free Internet access.

Oh, and now "low-income" people. People who feel entitled to living here because they grew up in Harlem. I've had a few interactions with someone of them, and after I did, I felt like I needed a SHOWER. I didn't realize how much I loathe these people. Their ****ty attitudes, and ****tier behavior. Treating this building and the hard-working people in it, like the projects they just came from. They're paying pennies on the dollar for their apartments. I wish I cut my 2 year lease. Now I understand why condos are so sought after.

"Low-income" tenants. The "low" stands for low-lives. Low or little respect for the social contract others have to abide by. And what's crazy is that these low-lifes will remain here, long after I am.

God, forgive me. I hate that I feel this way. I hate that I'm letting this turn me into a person I don't like. I don't have a lot, but what I do have, I've worked hard for. And, really, I just want serenity when I close my door. And what I'm going to do to ensure my piece of serenity and peace of mind is buy home security cameras. I really don't feel like my apt (and cat) is safe when I leave for work.

What is the criteria to get one of these apts? I've been looking into it, and apparently, these people have to work. And that's bull**** I know they don't. Not all, of course. But when I'm lucky enough to work from home and have to do errands, I see them coming in and out during the day. (And don't be ridiculous: they're not working from home, too.)

I'm done spewing for now. In my dreams, one of these "20%ers" is reading this, and if you are, I just want to say No one gives a f**k that you grew up in Harlem. The world is changing, including the world around you. Ingratiate yourself. Have some ****ing manners. Act like an adult, not a farm animal. Stop letting your friends in to use this gym we're lucky enough to have.

I need a shower.

Speaking of manners, you might have made a better first impression as a new arrival here, if you'd bothered to come back and respond to some of the replies.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:18 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,465,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Perhaps you should not have invaded THEIR territory?
You obviously don't know your history if you think Harlem was always black.

When Harlem was 90% white and black people started moving in... what if they were told they didn't belong there?

And of course you are going to hit me back with some BS about "I wasn't even talking about race".... yes you were.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
You’re an idiot for moving there. I wouldn’t move into a building knowingly occupied by people who did not earn the right to be there if it was free (yes, I get the irony, it’s to prove a point).

It’s not magic people. If you live in a place inhabited by people with no personal investment, you’re going to encounter anti-social, degenerate behavior. Period, end of story. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City