Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times

Advertisements

"what makes them a “capitalist”? Their ability to purchase a home?"

A landlord is a paradigm case of a capitalist.

Depending on the circumstances, I do have some sympathy for property owners who don't know they have squatters. It depends. But if you're going to choose to play the game...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Yeah, the laws didn't change much for squatters at all. You didn't do your due diligence. I will never understand how people enter into as expensive and complicated a transaction as a real estate purchase without the most careful consideration of all possibilities.
LOL, the best part is that his wife was arguing with him telling him not to do it.

Probably used family money on this, and had planned to tell everyone what a self made success he was.

If she sticks around, she'll never let him live this down.

To atone for his mistake, he comes on City-Data to ask for secret ways to evict people.

Those lucky squatters are going to end up owning the building by the time they're done with this guy. He should change his username to EveryTenantsDream.

Last edited by Sactown4; 07-30-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 AM

105 posts, read 90,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post
As said previously - we bought the house before the new laws and had no idea that they will pass such laws. Already paid 4k to my attorney who does not want to put effort into this. (Already paid them in full).
The new law didn't make a material difference to your situation. It was basically an open secret for years that knowledgeable deadbeats can work the system to get over a year in free rent.

You really have to stop making excuses for yourself and face reality. There is no secret landlord manual that can legally expedite the process if the squatters are determine to stay. You need to find a new lawyer, pay them off, or sell the house. Also, tell your wife you should have listened to her.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:54 AM

21 posts, read 14,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
The new law didn't make a material difference to your situation. It was basically an open secret for years that knowledgeable deadbeats can work the system to get over a year in free rent.

You really have to stop making excuses for yourself and face reality. There is no secret landlord manual that can legally expedite the process if the squatters are determine to stay. You need to find a new lawyer, pay them off, or sell the house. Also, tell your wife you should have listened to her.
These two new laws concern me very much:
*A judge could now hold up eviction up to a year. (Plus another 6-8 months for trials and marshal).
*It became illegal now to look at a tenant’s eviction history- so tenants won’t be concerned about being evicted. -

Regarding the lawyer yes it was a mistake:
When we first met the lawyer we asked him about paying the tenants off. He said that we should first start a case (and pay him 4K) and at the trial - we should offer them money). He did not tell me that it takes 4 months until trial!!!!
Bad lawyer and a bad start. But want to wait until mid August to desperately try to make a deal with the squatters.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:58 AM

21 posts, read 14,327 times
By the way one of the squatters drives a car with a License Plate from a different state, and I found out that the car is registered in his name (same name as the person who showed up in June to adjourn the case).

Does that help?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
By the way one of the squatters drives a car with a License Plate from a different state, and I found out that the car is registered in his name (same name as the person who showed up in June to adjourn the case).

Does that help?
None of that matters in an eviction case. The only thing that matters is the landlord's compliance with code. The squatter just have to make up some fake story to get adjorn and get a free year of rent before looking for another newbie landlord.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,020 times
Quote:

Does that help?
Maybe you can use that information to find out if the guy owns property elsewhere, and just maybe the judge will decide that the squatter doesn't need all that extra time to find a new place. That still leaves you with a second squatter though.

The new laws really don't have a major effect on this, and like many have said, we knew they were coming for months.
You need to own up to your mistakes (especially to your wife), you need to learn from them, and you need to understand that you're going to have to let the process play out. The last thing you want to do is get too worked up over this, do something stupid, and get hit with a tenant harassment claim.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:29 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
I'm sorry, but this situation was addressed previously in another thread, and starting a new one hasn't proven anymore successful. Don't know why it hasn't be shut down as nothing is going on but bickering back and forth by this point.

OP already has had his answers; get an attorney or whatever but there isn't much anyone on this site can do or say that hasn't been done or posted.

I swear this form needs a sticky for housing related issues, and or a separate spot all together so this nonsense can be grouped instead of cluttering up main forum.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 11,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

I swear this form needs a sticky for housing related issues, and or a separate spot all together so this nonsense can be grouped instead of cluttering up main forum.
This forum will actually serve a big lesson to people in NY to carefully vet tenants and to never buy a house with squatters.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 11,833 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out what Experienced landlords do to get rid of the tenants.

If they last in this business for more than a few years - for sure have their "trade secrets" and secret methods.

Vast majority of apartments are owned by large mega landlords, who could afford a few apartments that don’t produce rent.
They also have full time experienced lawyers, who use every loophole and play every game in the book to help speed up the eviction.
They have enough money to bribe the tenants to just leave.

Small landlords have a very hard time surviving, the laws are stacked up against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: