Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:43 PM

21 posts, read 14,315 times

Advertisements

Was just at lawyers office to discuss upcoming court date.

Here is what I observed while waiting:
A "thug" walks into the lawyers office with a brace on his foot (but he was jogging on his way in so it looks fake). It looks like they were representing him as a tenant. He told the ladies that he needs surgery so he won't be able to walk for a few months so he needs a few months more adjourment!!

They told him to bring the paperwork and they will work on the case -
Here goes another tenant gaming the system to live years of rent free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 AM

105 posts, read 90,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Well it can always play out like the house we got in the tax lien sale ...gutted and stripped after the tenants are out and no proof it was them.. these kinds of deals are playing with fire
Before you know it, you've spent 400k before even seeing your first tenant. And there's no guarantee that the next tenant will be headache free.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 AM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
Look OP your fighting a losing battle of stupidity. You should have inspected the property first hand and ask the current situation from the tenants. There are no new laws, these are old laws. They are not squatters, they are responsible tenants.

Your only option is to pay the squatters. That is exactly what happen with the Barclays ( Name of European bank ) Center. A man and his child had rent the apartment and had all rights not to leave. They could not tear down the apartment building without them leaving first. It is against the law. They had a right in the law. The man was paid well above a Million dollars to finally leave.

My grand parents apartment ( which is also a co-op ) had an ex-maintenance worker as an tenant and they refused to leave as well. They had all rights as well. Their door was plastered with summons and tickets and blah blah.

You could negotiate with them and actually buy them a new property. Just like the Barclays ( Name of European bank ) Center it is illegal to do what you hope is true. It is not the 1920's dude.

That being said an ex-co worker of mine was doing the same thing. In the end they won and had more rights to the property then any new owner that wanted them out.

My advice would be to

A. Use bait for the squatter..........

B. Negotiate with them and relocate or give a better rental or Co-op with the same rules and more rights.

C. Buy them a house. This what a famous investor had to do. A woman with her trailer park on the land. Her property was the only one on the lot that was hers. He paid her millions, brought her a mansion, and gave her access to a club. Now she was almost as rich as the guy that wanted the land and they started to date. In reality he wanted his money back and by marriage he was able to get it back............of course now he had a wife.

The tenants know how to deal with you already. They are never going to leave. Your not going to drag people out and then go back to court with all rights. This is not filthy China where people with their built houses paid off are dragged out in the middle of the night and their stuff tossed out with holes left in their houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post

A "thug" walks into the lawyers office with a brace on his foot (but he was jogging on his way in so it looks fake). It looks like they were representing him as a tenant. He told the ladies that he needs surgery so he won't be able to walk for a few months so he needs a few months more adjourment!!

A thug..as in an ex-military, ex-sportsman, ex-consutruction-worker, ex-lawyer....ha ha ha. People have their rights and you have to inspect the property itself first.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:

Hmm, that’s cute. And how does this relate to your situation or help it in anyway.

FACE IT, you made a DUMB move buying a house occupied with tenants. This would have been a DUMB move regardless if you had bought the house in 2019, 2018, or 2008. If you want a smooth transition into being a landlord, maybe don’t inherit the previous owner’s tenants. I’m sure the previous owner was happy to find a sucker to take on the time and expense of tying up their loose ends. You know what you need to do and crying about how “unfair” the system is and complaining about “thug tenants” isn’t helping and is continuing to make you look like a typical d-bag landlord. You own property I one of the most expensive cities in America. Man up, stop whining, and either cough up the cash for a lawyer and buckle in for the long haul, cough up the cash to buy them out, or sell the house (though good luck finding another sucker who’ll make the same DUMB mistake you made).

Old 08-13-2019, 08:33 AM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
In fact in my area I see this brand new built house. Nobody brought it. Why? Because the house next to it is an old-school 1990's house with an even better walk-way, and the house next to it is occupied by people smoking and sitting like crows all the time. However the area has a nice houses, including the police station which is pleasant to walk by.

So now it has renters inside of it. It is like an embarrassment to see the house go down this way. It was the talk of the town the bee's knees. I mean omgsh it was such a beautiful house. Now all I see is main-street residence.

It is so funny. That is what probably happen to your place OP

Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
It all boils down to: can't ball, don't play.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 PM

46 posts, read 30,528 times
OP is getting unfairly maligned here for buying a property subject to existing tenants. This is very common in NYC. In many of the hot markets in Queens, you won't stand a chance at getting your offer accepted if you refuse to take on the tenants. During my search for a property in Queens, I lost out on a great many properties because I asked for the property to be delivered vacant. If you really want to buy in certain neighborhoods, you just have to inherit the tenants and hope for the best.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
This guy bought with known SQUATTERS, though. There's no particular reason to assume that a normal tenant whose lease you assume will give you any unusual problems. If you're taking on squatters, you are 100% guaranteed issues.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,796 times
Default squatters

Not sure if you've had your second appearance yet ... but adjournments usually are set to the courts next available. so 7 weeks means that the courts address either very backed up or the judge knows intake at the not for profit laswe firms can take over a month ... prior to these june 2019 changes, back in 2017 deblasio passed "right to counsel" rules for teenagers ... so. the system is totally slow and inefficient. With regard to one year ... that would be the max time a judge can give& I think a tenant would need to show extreme hardship. Like a section 8 tenant that has really strict requirements for the program & the rent Is being paid & there is otherwise no bad relationship with ll/t ... good thing is court cannot waive rent so in most cases if they are there that long then ll should be getting rent. Good luck. I am a NYC attorney. it sounds like your attorney is doing fine but if you have questions, please feel free to contact me. #excusetypos-sentfrommyphone

Quote:
Bought a 2 family home in Brooklyn NY with non paying tenants/squaters.
According to the sellers, - one squatter was living years without paying rent and (in short - sellers were out of town and were incompetent to deal with this).
Please don't ask WHY we bought a house with squatters.....

Sqauters refuse to talk to me.
$4,000 already paid to Lawyer ($2,000 per apartment.)
Lawyer gave them 10 Day "Notice to Quit" which is meant for squatters. (He warned me that if they will claim that they were tenants - case will be dismissed and we need to start all over!!)

*April: is when we began dealing with eviction.

*June: Our "scheduled" court date. Judge Marc Finkelstein “adjourned” the court date to mid August (7 WEEKS) for them to find a lawyer.

*August: Our first court date.

I am VERY mad at "GENEROUS" judge for giving them 7 WEEKS to find a lawyer on while they are living free on MY account.

I commented In another thread I was told that with the new Anti landlord Laws past in June - judge will give them another 52 weeks to look for apartment???!!! Is that true?? Will judge also give me 52 weeks off of paying my mortgage?

https://streeteasy.com/blog/new-york-rent-laws-2019/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-see-as-curse

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

337 posts, read 356,835 times
Quote:
A "thug" walks into the lawyers office with a brace on his foot
What made you identify him as a thug?

This is from Google:

thug
/THəɡ/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a violent person, especially a criminal.
"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"
synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; More
HISTORICAL
a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

Was he one of these? Did you know he was a criminal and that is why he received leniency due to his injury? Do renters have a special "thug insurance" which if eligible for, affects a landlord's ability to evict them?

Or was he born in India pre-1830? (Making him 190 years old at the youngest). I could imagine that the court system here in NYC would be especially lenient to someone who is a centenarian almost twice over.

Last edited by ThatCareerGuy; 08-16-2019 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: