Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times

Advertisements

Ignore that posters..anyone that asserts such an opinion should be disregarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM

112 posts, read 325,895 times
Do you two have comprehension issues?

There are poor people in every expensive city; Paris, Hong Kong, London, Moscow but pay proper rent like the rest of the working people in their respective cities. They don't have depressing blocks and blocks of endless public housing like we have all over New York.

There is no need for poor bottom leachers to pay $200 a rent in the middle of Manhattan for Gods Sake. I'm pretty sure they ALL could get a damn job and move to "less desireable" areas in the outer-broughs, Yonkers, Jersey, etc. if they weren't so lazy.

What do they contribute to New York and society as a whole besides draining resources?

Get rid of public housing!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post

There are poor people in every expensive city; Paris, Hong Kong, London, Moscow but pay proper rent like the rest of the working people in their respective cities. They don't have depressing blocks and blocks of endless public housing like we have all over New York.

There is no need for poor bottom leachers to pay $200 a rent in the middle of Manhattan for Gods Sake. I'm pretty sure they ALL could get a damn job and move to "less desireable" areas in the outer-broughs, Yonkers, Jersey, etc. if they weren't so lazy.

What do they contribute to New York and society as a whole besides draining resources?

Okay you are making several incorrect assumptions. Not all poor people are lazy, nor can all of them just go out and immediately find employment if they tried, or do you personally know all of them? And the rows and rows of public housing were built by our government with very little fore thought. Poor people are not to blame for that.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post

Materialism, when public housing was constructed, nobody knew the land it was built on would be worth so much money. The Lower East Side was a slum. Google "Five Points". Williamsburg was a slum. Public housing was constructed on former slum areas. There's a website that you can see what was there before the projects were built (if you go to NYCHA you can find it) and trust me what was there before was god awful. Subhuman living conditions. And I don't think minimum wage can even afford a 1 bedroom in my neighborhood and I live in Far Rockaway, because the average rent for a 1 bedroom rent-stabilized apartment around my way is about $800-$900. Granted, the idea of public housing is a failure. However, you're being a tad narrow-minded. In most cities, the poor live on the fringes of the city, and while you may think its a better solution, its often not, as the isolation contributes to the social unrest. Case in point: the Paris riots in their public housing. Their public housing surrounds the city like a ring of poverty.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks 7th...she knows nothing about public housing in NYC, the people of NYC, nor does she know the public housing in cities she claims are idyllic...like Paris. They have the same slums and problems, the differnece is...the slums are just OUTSIDE the city...out of sight out of mind where as the NYC has incorporated the housing projects into the city.

She is ignorant, and is accusing us of having "comprehension issues." There is no doubt that she is from somewhere else.....certianly not from NYC.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
I wonder if she is white, wears tight jeans, and drinks Starbucks, maybe she the "yuppie" types people on this forum ***** about. She is giving us rationally thinking young white folks a bad name.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM

You need to read properly.

I could care less if there are projects in Bronx.

When I say New York I mean Manhattan, when I say Paris I mean Central Paris.

Have you two even step foot in Paris? Public housing is FAR and completely out of sight from Central Paris. Same as in Tokyo.

I said, why are there people in the middle of Manhattan paying $200 a month in rent (sometimes with FREE parking!) while people who actually work and contribute to the economy pay $4,000 in rent in the same neighborhood?

Like I said, the projects in MANHATTAN, (Yes, that includes Harlem) need to be sold or razed.

As I said, build more in Newark, build more in Bronx, Staten Island or East New York for all I care but get rid of the projects in Manhattan.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Materialism are you from NYC? If not, where are you from? Because your posts indicate a profound ignorance/lack of comprehension regarding the history of NYC, why there are housing projects across the city including Manhattan, why they currently exist in these locations, and why they are likely NOT going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM

No, I'm not a native of New York but I know plenty of "real" New Yorkers who don't understand the concept and feel the same way as I do.

And I honestly don't care about the history of public projects, but its quite obvious that public housing in Manhattan needs to be sold.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Your failed to indicated where it is you were from since you are not from NYC. How is it that I could easily tell you were not from NYC? It is clear that you cannot comprehend how public housing came about and why it is still in existence across the city, nor can you grasp the role is has and continues to play in this city.

In the future, please rephrase your verbal attacks in such a manner where it does not come across as an ignorant tirade from someone who knows nothing more about the city than what they hear/read, or gather from their few months living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City