Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 8,899 times

Advertisements

I just dread using buses here in NYC solely for the fact that it stops so frequently. It’s just one of my pet peeves. I read that MTA were going to something about it? What do you guys feel about buses in NYC? And what recommendation would you give to MTA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 05:38 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
You have options.

Walk
Express bus
Walk
Uber
Walk
Scooter
Walk

Old 09-25-2019, 07:37 PM

128 posts, read 115,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonTea000 View Post
I just dread using buses here in NYC solely for the fact that it stops so frequently. It’s just one of my pet peeves. I read that MTA were going to something about it? What do you guys feel about buses in NYC? And what recommendation would you give to MTA?
Don't Mess with my livelihood I don't know where else I can go and make $100,000 a year with no skills and or education

Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 PM

123 posts, read 96,781 times
Quote:
I hate them but buses serve a different clientele than the subways - many are elderly and handicapped and can't walk 10 blocks to find a stop. So don't take them - there are plenty of other options.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 8,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
I hate them but buses serve a different clientele than the subways - many are elderly and handicapped and can't walk 10 blocks to find a stop. So don't take them - there are plenty of other options.
I agree with you. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful at all. I still do think buses in some variation does serve a great alternative transportation to certain areas in the city. I dread it, but i still use it.

My purpose of this post was to see what you guys thought about MTA possibly changing bus routes or maybe they don’t. I on the other hand remain optimistic that they will find that balance.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful at all. I still do think buses in some variation does serve a great alternative transportation to certain areas in the city. I dread it, but i still use it.

My purpose of this post was to see what you guys thought about MTA possibly changing bus routes or maybe they don’t. I on the other hand remain optimistic that they will find that balance.
They have a balance. On busy routes they implement Select Bus Service busses that makes less frequent stops and only stops at major transfer points.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding. The buses traditionally usually stopped every two blocks, but in recent years, it's becoming more and more frequent to find 3-5 buses between stops.

Please post whatever article you're referring to, if you can find it.

I am very much against anything beyond 2-3 blocks. Buses are for people who can't walk - whether because they're handicapped, or with a small child, or carrying heavy packages. Anyone who complains about too many stops has, luckily, the subway.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 674,253 times
The OP has a point. In more remote areas like southeastern queens with no train access, it becomes quite annoying. I recently took a Q31 bus from Jamaica to Bayside , and I noticed in certain areas there were stops on every block and lengthwise they were like the north/south avenue blocks in Manhattan.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
It's annoying until the your particular destination's closest stop or where you board is moved blocks away and you are elderly or have difficulty moving about.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,963 times
Let's add extreme weather to the mix. More than two blocks can seem like an eternity in either extreme heat or cold. Take a subway or walk if it's too slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: